Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Arizona Desert Monsoon Chasing

Paul Sherman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy...

no apoligies needed i will also be asking the questions of the photographic kind ?

paul h

Craig is the man to talk to for photographic advice, he took some cracking shots on T1 this year

Posted

Craig is the man to talk to for photographic advice, he took some cracking shots on T1 this year

just for starters camera equipment question

1. i have a nikon d5100 will a lighning trigger help are we just looking at night shots i have the remote control and a tripod from previous chases.

2. will a UV filter or what type of fillter will be of benfit.

3 does anyone know what the broadband coverage is like away from the metro areas .

i need to start looking at what equipment i am going to take as well as we will based in one hotel? for the stay i might :whistling: just push the boat out in the luggage dept a bit .

paul h

Posted

just for starters camera equipment question

1. i have a nikon d5100 will a lighning trigger help are we just looking at night shots i have the remote control and a tripod from previous chases.

2. will a UV filter or what type of fillter will be of benfit.

3 does anyone know what the broadband coverage is like away from the metro areas .

i need to start looking at what equipment i am going to take as well as we will based in one hotel? for the stay i might :whistling: just push the boat out in the luggage dept a bit .

paul h

Hi Paul

1. I've found with the bulb settings or long exposures it still possible to get good lightening shots even at my novice level, although with trigger you're less reliant on luck to get a good shot

2. I used a UV filter for the 1st time this year and noticed a real difference so would recommend one of these as it also protects the lens against dust, dirt etc. In the daytime I also had a polarising filter as it gave the clouds better definition, but you need to take this off for night shots

This is as much info I can give....

Posted

Hi Paul, as Claire says the dust may well be a problem so some sort of protection will prob be a must, a cpl for the day and the token guesture of a uv filter at night, not to have any effect on the shot of course, just protection. I'm hoping that we will be seeing lots of lightning during the tour, never used a trigger before but I would like to think we'd get the chance to use one quite a bit out there, so I'm looking into that as well atm.

As for coverage, no idea really, Paul S will kno more about that I guess, can't see there being much demand in the desert for broadband but u never kno?

"Craig is the man to talk to for photographic advice, he took some cracking shots on T1 this year"

:pardon:

More luck than judgement Claire ! But thanx anyway :good:

Posted

If you guys find a good site for triggers, could you please ping me with the details? so far I've found out how to make one otherwise I may need to make a pit stop to New York !

Posted

If you guys find a good site for triggers, could you please ping me with the details? so far I've found out how to make one otherwise I may need to make a pit stop to New York !

Hi Claire

the best and the cheapest i have seen is by a one band outfit called patchmaster @ $107.0 (approx £70) there one arround about year ago for $200 i seem to recall.

http://www.pmgadgets.com/

paul h

Edited by the storm fisherman

Posted

Hi Claire

the best and the cheapest i have seen is by a one band outfit called patchmaster @ $107.0 (approx £70) there one arround about year ago for $200 i seem to recall.

paul h

Thanks ...The main issue I'm finding is most of these are from US sites , so I'm starting to think time is getting tight for delivery and we may have to pay import duty (although I think this rule may only apply to lenses and camera bodies)

Posted

Claire

Why not pay for it and use the Hotel we are staying at in Arizona as an Address to send to ?? We will be there from the 16th until the 28th so maybe get it delivered for the 17th ?

Just a thought

Posted

Hi Claire

paul h

http://www.aeophoto.com/

Posted

Claire

Why not pay for it and use the Hotel we are staying at in Arizona as an Address to send to ?? We will be there from the 16th until the 28th so maybe get it delivered for the 17th ?

Just a thought

I did think this but then remembered the Dongles whistling.gifwhistling.gif No Big deal if I can't sort one, but I always love a gadget !

Posted

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=7&ved=0CDwQFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tornadohistoryproject.com%2Ftornado%2FArizona&ei=4TEtTpepKY2BhQfjob2qCw&usg=AFQjCNETeWo42nY8u-9Oe1wBd7wHPhkhlA

Tornado reported in Snowflake yesterday and interesting link above showing all the States Tornadoes - Did not know they had seen a few F3's in the past!

Have been chatting with Susan Strom this past week and she has given me some amazing tips on locations and things to do if we encounter slow days as well.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sedona+picture&hl=en&rlz=1R2ADSA_enGB438&biw=1152&bih=540&prmd=ivnscm&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=lDktTsbKGJGDhQfL7rmqCw&ved=0CC4QsAQ

Nearly There!

Posted

Have been chatting with Susan Strom this past week and she has given me some amazing tips on locations and things to do if we encounter slow days as well.

SLow days on one of your tours surely not :whistling:

:oops:

Posted
yahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gifThree Weeks Today.yahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gif

Posted

SLow days on one of your tours surely not :whistling:

:oops:

Just make sure your not near North America "Mr Storm Killer" :whistling::oops: And everything should be ok :p

yahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gifThree Weeks Today.yahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gif

You flying out a day earlier than me then ?? Thought you were on the Tuesday Flight :oops:

Posted

You flying out a day earlier than me then ?? Thought you were on the Tuesday Flight :oops:

I am , technically It's 3 weeks and few hours....but who's countingwhistling.gif

Posted

sorry but my trip starts at 11.15 am on monday 15th when i travel up to the airport hotel so me it is less than 3 weeks

paul h

Looks like the majority concensus is 3 weeks to go clap.gifclap.gif

Edited by duckeyh

Posted

Looks like the majority concensus is 3 weeks to go clap.gifclap.gif

as it is my birthday in 3 weeks time my present came today a nice new nikon D5100 :yahoo:

all i can say thankyou family :drinks:

now i got a couple of weeks to learn how to drive the camera i hope it not to diffrent to the nikon d80 i had a last year.

paul h

Posted

as it is my birthday in 3 weeks time my present came today a nice new nikon D5100 :yahoo:

all i can say thankyou family :drinks:

now i got a couple of weeks to learn how to drive the camera i hope it not to diffrent to the nikon d80 i had a last year.

paul h

A link to a few pictures just to wet our appetites even further http://on.fb.me/nCiJPe

Posted

i know its not lightning photography but it's Arizona

http://vimeo.com/groups/tm700/videos/14609937

lots of people claim it is the most photogenic state in us from what i have seen on video and photo websites i think it may be so

its also known for its good stargazing, clear skies at night so is well known in the Astrophotography world also,

one day i hope to get there myself

Edited by gpspete

Posted

What happened micheal fish? Did he get a box in the nose? :o

Yeah that was the Sherminator, he lost his "rag" the one time.

Fortunately he avoided the "kick in the *uts" as promised by the sherm

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

What happened micheal fish? Did he get a box in the nose? :o

Lol of course not - he had a nosebleed which was probably related to the altitude.