Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Arizona Desert Monsoon Chasing

Paul Sherman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy...

Paul

There seems to be a recurring theme here with regards to flights disappearing and suddenly appearing etc

After booking this trip I've discovered it pays off to ring the airline directly. Thanks to the very nice lady at BA I got the direct flights at the same price I had the AA flights on hold for and was told never try to fly back on a Saturday as seats are at a premium , especially over a bank holiday.

Just shows the personal touch still works tease.gif

Edited by duckeyh

Posted

After booking this trip I've discovered it pays off to ring the airline directly. Thanks to the very nice lady at BA I got the direct flights at the same price I had the AA flights on hold for and was told never try to fly back on a Saturday as seats are at a premium , especially over a bank holiday.

Just shows the personal touch still works tease.gif

Hi Claire

thanks for info but i have now paid for my flights . i am on same flights(AA51 TO DFW) as craig

it would have been nice to all fly together nonstop . As craig has said" i need the monday to recover from the dreaded jetlag "which i also tend to suffer with more than going out and time diffrence a mere -8hrs .

i will be staying in a hotel at heathrow as i do not realish getting up at 3am to get to the airport for 7am .

paul h

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

Looks like you guys have had fun with the airlines. Makes me wonder how I wrangled my trip out for £430 earlier this year if prices are that high right now... Oil is cheaper than when I booked earlier so that's not an issue.... Is Phoenix just an expensive route? Not looking forward to next year if the prices stay this high!

Posted

Looks like you guys have had fun with the airlines. Makes me wonder how I wrangled my trip out for £430 earlier this year if prices are that high right now... Oil is cheaper than when I booked earlier so that's not an issue.... Is Phoenix just an expensive route? Not looking forward to next year if the prices stay this high!

It was very frustrating, the nice BA lady said it's based on a global demand system, but I fail see how this can push a price up in the space of 20 mins, unless the price increases everytime someone searches on a flight. :cc_confused:

Posted

It was very frustrating, the nice BA lady said it's based on a global demand system, but I fail see how this can push a price up in the space of 20 mins, unless the price increases everytime someone searches on a flight. :cc_confused:

next time if i see a flight i want but not at the price it pays to haggle over the phone

if you are intrested craig i have booked a hotel room at the travle lodge in feltham for£25.00 on the monday night

because i dont want to get up at 3 am to start traveling and we wont hit the sack again till at least 6am wed uk time

it is easy to get to the airport from there as it is next to the rail station and loads of local buses.

ps they have a bar there as well.

Posted

next time if i see a flight i want but not at the price it pays to haggle over the phone

if you are intrested craig i have booked a hotel room at the travle lodge in feltham for£25.00 on the monday night

because i dont want to get up at 3 am to start traveling and we wont hit the sack again till at least 6am wed uk time

it is easy to get to the airport from there as it is next to the rail station and loads of local buses.

ps they have a bar there as well.

lol, the bar is always the most important part, other than the food and I've already spotted a nice sounding Mexican about a mile from the Super 8

Posted
Posted

Really want to swear on here! :wallbash::aggressive::wallbash:

Got timed out for that flight earlier and when I went back through the same flights are about £100 dearer now.

Bunch of tossbags the airlines - How can they get away with quoting a price at 10am and then have the same flights £100 dearer about 20 minutes later!

Going to leave this again for today but WILL Be booking when it is around the £820 - £850 price mark!

Dont think the guy who works for BA Can even get any sort of deal for us either!

SOME SALE! :nonono:

Paul

:lol:

Hi Paul. Believe me I have been looking and Im not coming up with anything different from you guys tbh.

Re: How can they have the same flight £100 dearer 20 minutes later........ 2 reasons that happens.....

1/.They release seats in different price 'buckets' at different times depending on demand/capacity

2/ Most Airlines can see how many times youv'e looked at flights for any given time/destination, and from that guage your level of interest

Thats how its been explained to me anyway, and it does seem to add up. Another thing to bear in mind is that the various 'booking engines' ie: Kayak, LastMinute etc often dont have access to the airlines 'live seat info', so can in theory give you a price for a seat that doesn't actually exist.

Not much help I know but thought I would try and explain things. Just wish I was going with you all !!

Posted

Yep some saying this could be the best "Haboob" Season since the 1970's due to the extreme drought conditions. Thunderstorms are displaced much further to the South of Pheonix with the Dust-Storms obscuring the Storm and the Wall of Dust "Haboob" marching across the Desert from the Thunderstorms Outflow.

Should be a good season! :drunk::yahoo:

Posted

Yep some saying this could be the best "Haboob" Season since the 1970's due to the extreme drought conditions. Thunderstorms are displaced much further to the South of Pheonix with the Dust-Storms obscuring the Storm and the Wall of Dust "Haboob" marching across the Desert from the Thunderstorms Outflow.

Should be a good season! :drunk::yahoo:

LOL now you've done and killed it doh.gifdoh.gif Oh well at least there's loads to see and do whistling.gif

Posted

LOL now you've done and killed it doh.gifdoh.gif Oh well at least there's loads to see and do whistling.gif

Thing is our range is extensive, we can take in SW Colorado, Western New Mexico and Southern Utah and SE Nevada as well so we will go where the Weather is as long as we can get back.

Worry not! :whistling::drinks:

Posted

Thing is our range is extensive, we can take in SW Colorado, Western New Mexico and Southern Utah and SE Nevada as well so we will go where the Weather is as long as we can get back.

Worry not! :whistling::drinks:

that is get back for our departing flights on the 27th/28th :clap:

Posted

Thing is our range is extensive, we can take in SW Colorado, Western New Mexico and Southern Utah and SE Nevada as well so we will go where the Weather is

Oh God, Shermans off again, fortunately you are just a tad too far from the Canadian border this time to get there :fool:

Mexico anybody??

Sherms on a roll :whistling:

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

Oh God, Shermans off again, fortunately you are just a tad too far from the Canadian border this time to get there :fool:

Mexico anybody??

Sherms on a roll :whistling:

Oh I dont know - 2 day drive up I-25 From New Mexico through Colorado and Wyoming. Reckon we could do a Moderate Risk in 2 days :lol:

Seriously our scope will be 5-600 miles in any 1 day. But most days will probably be down towards Tuscon and back (200 Miles) or the Mogollan Rim or Payson etc etc

Nice and Sedate with hopefully lot of Desert Lightning!

But............The Texas Panhandle is only 5 hours drive :shok::shok::oops: :lol:

Posted

Oh I dont know - 2 day drive up I-25 From New Mexico through Colorado and Wyoming. Reckon we could do a Moderate Risk in 2 days :lol:

Seriously our scope will be 5-600 miles in any 1 day. But most days will probably be down towards Tuscon and back (200 Miles) or the Mogollan Rim or Payson etc etc

Nice and Sedate with hopefully lot of Desert Lightning!

But............The Texas Panhandle is only 5 hours drive :shok::shok::oops: :lol:

um The big texan....

but seriously my first storm chase was in rosswell,NM not too far away all we need is the right synoptics.

if i was a serious betting man i bet paul could pull a tube out of the bag at some in the tour.:hi:

Posted

um The big texan....

but seriously my first storm chase was in rosswell,NM not too far away all we need is the right synoptics.

if i was a serious betting man i bet paul could pull a tube out of the bag at some in the tour.:hi:

[/quote

So many choices so little time.... wallbash.gif

Edited by duckeyh

Posted

We plan to be on holiday in southern Utah at the same time (more or less) as the Sherman expedition, so with any luck, double coverage !! Certainly readers of the thread can expect a few bonus scenery photos. Our objective is more of a scenery than storm related tour, but will be watching for storm picture opportunities as they arise.

If our trips overlap we may meet up. Don't think we will go much further south than northern Arizona, trying to stay on the plateau for the 90-ish warmth rather than the 105-ish heat.

Looking forward to it, last trip to that region for us was in 1996 ... this will be my fifth time in the region, which I consider one the world's most scenic destinations.

Posted

There's still time to buy that last piece of essential equipment before you leave.

Check it out:

Haboob Hunters Gear

And of course every Haboob chaser has one of these:

Haboob Locator

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

There's still time to buy that last piece of essential equipment before you leave.

Check it out:

Haboob Hunters Gear

And of course every Haboob chaser has one of these:

Haboob Locator

LOL, the ultimate girlie accessory with a Shermugh scarf ...I'm gonna get me one..Do they come in pink ?

Edited by duckeyh

Posted

Hi all

see the nice new graphics on nws phoenix web site very colourful.

lots of lovely moisture for the weekend in the east spreading west.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/FXC/make_img.php?wfo=psr&iname=WeatherImage1L&size=1&force=no

paul h

Thanks Paul, now that I understand . I apologise in advance for the stupid questions in Arizona!