Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland - Regional Weather Discussion

Posted

Windy with some serious gusts and sharp showers today. Nice.

Looks like the same tomorrow too. NL will be glad he has his crops in!!

VERY GLAD

Better day here today with very few showers till evening but very windy, straw dried up but the rows are now scatterd across the fields as it took off in the wind and will have to be raked into rows again for the baler "cest la vie " Hopefully tomorrow and Thursday afternoon will dry up.not be quite so wndy and we can start to gather and bale it up.We will start by baling the edges of the fields which are sheltered by the dykes.and wher the wind is needed most.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Weather, eh, NL? Can't live without it... etc.

Most of my work is impossible just now due to the weather - photographing vegetation on hills in Wester Ross, part of a 5 year cycle for forest regeneration. Lens covered in rain, young trees flapping in the gale - oh no. This happens most Septembers / Octobers and I ring round trying to find other work - some success today fortunately. Might have some 'interesting' boat trips out west next week.

Cheggers, don't do it... Discos can drain your bank account quicker than a Jag and with a lot less fun.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

The Katia threads are worth watching now as FI moves slowly into the reliable with each passing model run.

In brief this Hurricaine is due to downgrade as it tracks NNE across the Atlantic, even still due to be packing a hefty punch when it nears the UK.

The exact track is the one to watch as to whether NW Scotland feels the force of the winds or whether it migrates between Shetland and Iceland.

Posted

Down in the ole smoke, and it's grey but dry with 20C topped, somewhat bumpy ride for part way down, and some very angry skies at 7:30am South of the Central Belt.

HC, going to look at XC90 as well, but going to take a lot to sway away from Disco (57 plate)

Posted

Down in the ole smoke, and it's grey but dry with 20C topped, somewhat bumpy ride for part way down, and some very angry skies at 7:30am South of the Central Belt.

HC, going to look at XC90 as well, but going to take a lot to sway away from Disco (57 plate)

Just remember if we get lots of deep snow this winter with drifts over 3 feet or so snow bulilds up in front and underneath of any vehicle and eventually lifts them off the ground, suspending them in the air with their wheels spinning freely nicely.Over the years have had to pull 2 4x4s backwards out of deep drifts with the tractor when their drivers thought the were invincible and sheepishly had to come and ask for a tow out . Just a grumpy old man comment Sorry!!!

Posted

Just remember if we get lots of deep snow this winter with drifts over 3 feet or so snow bulilds up in front and underneath of any vehicle and eventually lifts them off the ground, suspending them in the air with their wheels spinning freely nicely.Over the years have had to pull 2 4x4s backwards out of deep drifts with the tractor when their drivers thought the were invincible and sheepishly had to come and ask for a tow out . Just a grumpy old man comment Sorry!!!

I know, as live next to Diary farm, and have pulled several invincible teenagers oot the snow, so I hope I know what the limits will be, and refrain from thinking that a Disco can go anywhere and do anything.

Anyway, grey day but calm here in Guildford, so should be a quite flight back to Embra tonight. 16C this am on route in.

Posted

For those of you not wanting to hunt around the forum, Coast just provided a great link for tracking Katia

Click full screen, then click on each of the models on the right hand side to see the predicted path of this system.

AP12 Ensemble is actually pretty scary

post-7292-0-08946000-1315497649_thumb.jp

For those of you not wanting to hunt around the forum, Coast just provided a great link for tracking Katia

Click full screen, then click on each of the models on the right hand side to see the predicted path of this system.

Posted

Should be 'fun' next Monday night - supposed to be in a bothy in north-east Sutherland that night.

Wetter on the hills today than expected but very little wind at times. Lots of midges & keds in the interludes. Seen some amazing rainbows this week.

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted

A very nice September harvest day here with sunny periods Made it to 16c with a fresh west wind.

There seemed to be a tractor with baler or turner or a combine in every field we could see from here today.

Secured 80% of the straw for bedding the cattle in the winter in great order after turning it all day with 2 round balers following behind. Just one lorry load of grain left to move as farmers could not get cutting till today and so we got their allocation and have had lorries every day this week.

Posted

Well Hurricaine Katia now in the clutches of the media and will surely be hyped to extra tropical ( death).

Wind profiles moving from FI into certainty and this is a dangerous looking system no doubt, interesting model watching still as Katia still to absorb the LP system passing NW as she heads to the UK.

+84 looking like a peak

Post Katia on Meto Fax @ +60

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/brack1a.gif

Katia @ +84

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/brack2a.gif

WetterZentrale Wind profile

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn849.png

WeatherOnline Wind Profile

http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/2011/09/09/basis00/ukuk/uv10/11091212_0900.gif

How she looks now harmlessly firing away in the Atlantic..

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/585321main_4%20ATLANTICSTORMS-GOES-LARGE-labeled.jpg

Posted

damp and cold after a good day yesterday , milkcows in for good , all other cattle looking left trouser leged off , still 70 acre of combineing to do , plenty straw lying , not good lets hope thinks get better soon after this bad weekend we are in for.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Oh lord, the prospect of another deep low doesn't fill me with relish so long as my sunflowers are still trying to do their thing. I fear Monday could finish off what this week's gales left of them.

More fool me for trying to grow the sodding things at this exposed location fool.gif

Posted

damp and cold after a good day yesterday , milkcows in for good , all other cattle looking left trouser leged off , still 70 acre of combineing to do , plenty straw lying , not good lets hope thinks get better soon after this bad weekend we are in for.

Hope things improve for you,know how bad it feels to look across acres of wet straw.Some comfort in the model thread where they seem to think that high pressure may return later next week.

Posted

Poor morning here, not as poor as further west. Clouds right down, unrelenting rain & drizzle. The radar does not tell the story.

Now wondering wtf the next few days will bring. The sooner Katia clears off to let it all calm down the better.

Posted

What a dreich day!!! Temps now sitting at 12C and it feels more like autumn. Winter is looming fast so looking at a couple of weeks in the sun for November.......but where is still to be decided.

Och Wet West it must be a real worry! Driving on the Black Isle today we saw several fields still to be harvested. Hope you get a better outlook for next week.

Posted

A real 'calm before the storm' feeling this evening. The firth was almost flat, little surface wind, lots of bird activity in fields and on the shore, mostly this year's youngsters being shown the ropes I think, but also some competition between gulls & terns.

Been watching the development of the storm and some considerable differences from run to run even at 60 hours out. Still uncertain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

I'm really not sure what to expect from this storm as the information is conflicting to say the least! You have the media on one hand (Sky News) predicting 80mph winds and the latest Meto News24 forecast predicting wind gusts 60-70mph? There wasn't even a 9.30am forecast on News 24! To be expected I suppose because London shouldn't be affected. Anyhoo, it's a lot of work to batten down the hatches if it isn't really necessary. I think I will rely on our own forecasters on the site for the best info. I think you guys up north will likely take a hammering tho' - take care!

Posted

As we head towards winter, I expect to see the first signs of some moderate to heavy snowfalls as early as October or November in certain parts of the UK. In terms of the meteorological winter, I expect December, January, and February to experience below average temperatures, with the heaviest snowfalls occurring within the time frame of November to January across many parts of the UK.

The most important factor within our weather forecasting calculations is solar activity and other major natural factors that it influences. Radiant energy from the sun is the primary influence on both the earth's ocean and atmosphere.

Low solar activity and ocean behaviour alter atmospheric circulation and block jet stream patterns that create enhanced moisture in terms of snowfall. The UK and Ireland is hit by prolonged periods of extreme cold and snow from the Arctic regions, as cold easterlies or north-easterlies develop. Huge swirly low pressure systems also offer the potential for widespread disruption from heavy snowfall across many parts of the UK including the South, as they clash with the predominant cold air over the UK.

Coupled with other in depth factors such as recent volcanic activity and changes to the Gulf Stream/North Atlantic drift that we consider, this does not bode well for the severity of the UK and Northern European winter of 2011-12. Frequent and prolonged cold spells with heavy dumps of snow from blizzard like conditions is likely across many parts of the UK. The areas we expect to be worse hit throughout include the vast majority of Scotland and the Scottish Highlands, Northern England, and Northern Ireland. We have particular concerns as to the huge implications that this may pose to the infrastructure of the UK and Ireland transportation systems/economy.

Posted

Hi Ladies and Gents

New to the forum in the hope that I can learn something about the weather in general and was directed this way by another member. Be gentle !!

Maitland

Posted

Evening all. Gusty day now after a thundery wet start with Temps reaching 21C and very humid. Not sure what Monday will bring, but being touted as worst in 15 years........ what was the 100Mph storm a few weeks ago then, a stiff breeze?

Posted

Aye just a breezy day Cheggers ! Might get ' blustery' on Monday..

Welcome to our kilted thread Gary and Maitland - am sure you will enjoy your time here.

Gary this link is relevant to your thoughts and championed by a couple of our Winter enthusiasts BFTP and Roger Smith you will find them on the model threads.

http://www.john-daly.com/sun-enso/revisit.htm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Winter Storms, Heatwaves.

Evening folks. Not sure what to make of this one. The BBC forecasts on Radio 4 advice people to keep checking furture forecasts but they don't seem to be taking it very seriously so far. (Of course we have to remember that London and the South East don't look like being affected that much and to some in the metoffice the south east is the uk!). I some how have a bad feeling about this one as I have been tracking this storm since it developed in the tropics. Time of course will tell.

Rob.