Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales - Regional Weather Discussion

Posted

Just posted this in the "atlantic storms" thread:

"The squall line at the cold front just woke me up, more powerful here than any of the last few months with incredibly heavy rain (rate 35.9mm/hour) and with winds battering it against the windows and hail mixed in. Has calmed down now but still p*ssing it down and a lot more to come on the radar, would expect there has been some flooding from the rain today esp given how much rain we've had recently in this part of the world."

May be a little incoherent as I've just been woken up. Am going back to sleep now!

Posted

Mi ddylai ddechrau oeri ychydig yng Nghymru o oddeutu 2yb ymlaen yn dechrau o'r gorllewin ac yn symud yn raddol draw i'r dwyrain wrth i'r ffrynt basio trwyddo, mae eisoes yn tawelu, bydd cawodydd gaeafol wedyn yn dechrau dod i mewn o'r gorllewin a dwi o'r farn dylai pawb gweld rhywfaint o'r cawodydd gaeafol yma, ond wrth sôn am eira'n casglu neu yn gorffwys, yn sicr bydd ardaloedd mwy mynyddig yn cael eu ffafrio, a bydd na yn bendant amrywiadau lleol enfawr o le i le, a mater o lwc fydd hi yfory.

It should start cooling off in Wales from about 2am onwards I would suggest from west to east as this front passes through, already quietening down, wintry showers will be evident everywhere tomorrow I think, settling snow however is another instance and will all come down to luck of the draw, of where you are at the time, will definitely be big local variations tomorrow.

Posted

Duw Duw! Mae hi'n bwrw hen wragedd a ffyn ar hyn o bryd! Mae hi wedi bod yn bwrw glaw'n ddibaid am wyth awr. Gobeithio bydd y glaw yn troi'n eira mawr yn fuan :D

Its raining old women and sticks (cats and dogs ) currently.....It has been raining non stop for eight hours.........Hoping that the rain will turn to proper snow soon! :)

Daliwch i gredu / Keep believing all! :smilz38:

Edited by Penderyn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Had winds gust to 39.6mph thismorning and forgot how strong even that can be, making a racket on the roof and windows! Had some heavy rain and hail too and still very gusty at times out! Not a nice day to be walking anywhere!

Posted

just watch weather forecast on tv and looks like its going to be quit windy all day,but dont look like many arears will see snow,around brecon it shows snow and said high ground,i myself think same as yest cant see anything around m4 line getting snow,may get sleety rain or hail in showers,it probs be tops ov mountains behind me, i am more worried about the wind to be honest,last night it woke me quit a few times and gmtv are looking a little worried about what could happen thurs into fri.my location is great for snow but also great for wind and i hate the wind lol.

Posted

just to let you all know,went on kids run and was hail at first up here then turned to snow,sticking on tops of mountain,turned to rain as i went further down valley.so asl is deff going to come into account on this,was rain in ogmore vale and snow at top ov nantymoel. so that was the first sight of snow this winter not a lot but at least a start lol

Posted

Looking out at the hills it's white above about 450m. Down here we've got soft hail showers (again!) so the whiteness on the hills might be hail accumulations like it was early last week - but I prefer to think it's snow :-)

Looking ahead there's a chance of marginal snow events for the rest of the week, especially if Thursday night's low tracks along the channel. A slight downgrade from the models this morning in terms of prospects for snow showers on Friday, Saturday; uppers aren't as cold as on previous runs so once again this could be quite marginal. Should be some cold days and heavy frosts over the weekend and into the beginning of next week though.

Current temp here 2.4c, dp0. Come on the snow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme - anything but dull and dreary. The snowier the better.

Mae Senedd y DU wedi lleoli yn Llundain ond mae nhw dal yn dod o dan y mesur iaith, nid yw ffiniau gwlad yn selio ffiniau hawliau ieithyddol, na ffiniau'r wasanaeth chwaith.

The UK parliament is located in London and they still have to comply with the language legislation, a country's boundary's do not terminate the boundaries of language rights, o'r the borders of services also.

Regarding Scottish Gaelic I completely agree, however Scottish Gaelic legislation is not as stark or strong as current Welsh language legislation, as it currently stands with the new legislation any government body agency, or agency that is private but funded by the government by more than £200 000 then they are also obliged to comply with langauge legislation and hence the metoffice fall into this category.

I'm sorry but I just don't agree with you, despite being an avid supporter of the Welsh language. Unless the MetO have some facility actually within Wales, I don't see any reason for them to have to support Welsh. If that were the case, then surely s4c's website, as well as the Welsh assembly's communications, would all have to cater for Gaelic, English, and Scots as well?

Anyway, on a weather related note, I just can't see this storm pulling in that cold upper air strongly enough to produce sensible amounts of snow this far south.

Up in the mountains, it may be feasible. Snowdon does sometimes grow a layer of the white stuff at the most unexpected times, but snow down to 100m? I really don't see it happening today or tomorrow.

I know I'm a novice at reading the weather, but I'd bet my giant mug of tea on it! :lol:

Posted

Just heavy rain here, ever so slightly sleety :-(

Scratch that - "proper" sleet/wet snow now, and very windy so appears "blizzard-like". Dp 1.0c though so no settling.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Heavy hail showers here at 5 degrees if only we had irelands temperatures we would be seeing snow to lower levels in the heavier stuff

Posted

Yep hills/mountains white down to about 300m or so here now. Temp has dropped over the last half hour or so it's now 1.8c with a dewpoint of -0.6c, so here's hoping that another shower will come along and make us white down here in the valley too...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

Heavy hail showers here at 5 degrees if only we had irelands temperatures we would be seeing snow to lower levels in the heavier stuff

Mostly the same here. Also some sleet/wet flakes mixed in on the back end of the showers here. Dewpoint is showing below freezing although this is fluxuating as showers pass through on the flow.

Looking at the radar there appears to be a fair amount of shower activity off the S/SW coast of Wales, the upper steering flow should push some of these inland across southern parts of Wales as shown here:

http://expert-images...121312_1306.gif

http://expert-images...121315_1306.gif

http://expert-images...121318_1306.gif

Whether these will be of snow is unsure to be honest, but i would imagine if these showers get far enough inland with some height and distance from the coast some falling snow should be observered at least.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it!

Quite a few wintry showers have passed through here, rain, hail, sleet, wet snow, the lot. The wind is also quite strong especially in the showers, but as of yet no proper snow falling

Posted

Quite a few wintry showers have passed through here, rain, hail, sleet, wet snow, the lot. The wind is also quite strong especially in the showers, but as of yet no proper snow falling

Hey yes, I've had friends text me in Llanelli to say it's snowing (i can't see outside from work)... They claim snow, however i think perhaps more like wet snow as you say. Heavy snow was observed at Pembrey Sands at 11am. Temp recorded was 7.2c so i don't know maybe wet snow in a heavy shower...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it!

Hey yes, I've had friends text me in Llanelli to say it's snowing (i can't see outside from work)... They claim snow, however i think perhaps more like wet snow as you say. Heavy snow was observed at Pembrey Sands at 11am. Temp recorded was 7.2c so i don't know maybe wet snow in a heavy shower...

Yes mostly wet snow, tends to be on the back edge of the showers at the moment. Just had another heavy hail shower but definitely had some snow flakes blowing about towards the end!

Posted

Looking good for south Wales now. The showers are increasing in intensity which will help with evaporative cooling enabling snow to fall rather than rain/sleet

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Very gusty showers with hail, sleet and even a little wet snow here, not a nice day.