Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales - Regional Weather Discussion

Posted

Chollais 'm yn ysmwddio byrddia a ca an 'n bwysig yn cwrdd. Alli chyfnertha Emlyn Hughes?

Please use this thread to discuss anything weather-related which is specifically Welsh over the course of the spring and summer.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

For the second time in just 5 years Wales is enjoying a remarkably early taste of Summer.

Many parts should reach 20c in the next few days. A way to go for 25c which was hit in 2007!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

I think last year, locally atleast, i managed 25C in April!

Currently 19.1C after a high of 19.9C, would be nice to see it reach 20C in the next few days! Hope wales gets some good storms too over spring/summer!

Posted

It's just about the warmest ever start to an April (at least in the CET zone), that would suggest unusual.

I have always tended to regard 20c by early April as fairly infrequent. Anyway, have not managed that as yet, but it felt very warm in the sun today, max 18.6c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

It reached 21C here today, currently 20.2C which feels very nice! Hope we get days like this in summer!

Posted

21c 70f yesterday and today pretty rare for so early on. Could be a few weeks before we reach these levels again though.

It's just about the warmest ever start to an April (at least in the CET zone), that would suggest unusual.

I have always tended to regard 20c by early April as fairly infrequent. Anyway, have not managed that as yet, but it felt very warm in the sun today, max 18.6c.

Nice sunny weather like this is not that unusual even for April

It has been warm/very warm at times, but generally it has not been as warm in Wales. I would that this weather is infrequent just that spells of warm sunshine are not unusual.

As for the CET, which is not relevant in the Welsh thread, you do have a point with the first 8 days being the warmest in the sequence with only 1926 being warmer. But to be honest, beyond the CET competition, I have no real interest in the weather there.

Now that this thread is here through the summer, I do hope that we can make it work.

Posted

I am very interested in the CET as I was born and bred in the Midlands, and also it happens to be the only truly long-term temperature series we have in the UK (an astounding 350 year series).

Although not directly relevant to Wales, it provides a likelihood, that here too, this has also been one of the warmest ever starts to April in that series, after all we do adjoin the CET zone. Also, I make reference as I feel it may add interest and a broader perspective to this Welsh thread, that I am sure will provide good reading throughout the Summer.

For those of us who do find this of interest

I still maintain that 20/21c in early April is pretty rare which along with the mean being so way above average, does indeed make this an unusually warm start to April (also the last week or so of March was very mild).

Edited by Tonyh

Posted

Just took a quick look back at Trawsgoed temperature records in early Spring, could not find anything like this spell back to 2000:

Tu Tiempo Trawsgoed

Edited by Tonyh

But considering that this is a Welsh thread that any references to the CET temperature to prove a point in Wales is entirely irrelevant. (Also considering I run the CET competition, I am fully aware of the importance of the CET series, both in terms of the Hadley and Manley series.)

It is a warm period particularly in England, but not to such an extent in Wales. I am not pretending it is anything other than a very good period of weather indeed I cannot recall myself being on a beach as early in the season.

However locally this is is contraed by the weather last Tuesday which was 10c, cold damp and miserable, which is more typical of April.

Nice weather yes, better than average yes, but I do think you are overdoing some of the adjectives in ramping this mild weather, and after your comments in January this is somewhat irking.

I obviously do not expect you to agree with me. However in order for this thread to move on, perhaps it is better that we agree to disagree.

Posted

Blob of precip over north wales is some blizzard of hail!!! temp cover of slush...so much for the 20c of late...its about 4c up here on the hills

Posted

Fair enough i dont intend to irritate merely inform i shall take a backseat for a while!

Perhaps I need a break as well to be honest.

Tony, don't let me put you off posting, you have been one of the best posters on the Welsh threads. Although I can fully understand if you ignore this after Sunday.

The really strange thing is now I actually want the weather to be as warm as possible, and another summer like 1976 would suit me fine.

Posted
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008

Perhaps I need a break as well to be honest.

Tony, don't let me put you off posting, you have been one of the best posters on the Welsh threads. Although I can fully understand if you ignore this after Sunday.

The really strange thing is now I actually want the weather to be as warm as possible, and another summer like 1976 would suit me fine.

I' think we're in strong agreement here, fellow SA dweller!

Lovely weather of late here in Swansea. Since somehow acquiring a temp job last May, a job now (amazingly!) extended til 31 October, I've been cycling to work an unusually high proportion of days. Me and bike and rain just don't mix -- but so much dry/sunny/HP influenced weather has astonished me. This March and April particularly, but overall since May 2010 as well ...

Bring on its strong continuation right into June, especially LATE June, say I! :whistling:

Perfectly possible to have two excellent late Junes on the trot. Be off with you, June Monsoon types!

Edited by William of Walworth

Posted

Without any statistics to back this up (which is fairly lazy of me I realise)- is not this year following the same pattern as the last few- harsh winter, followed by glorius spring period and then the dreaded wet summer. I know we're not there yet and this is generalism in the extreme but can't help but feel we've been here before.

Posted

It looks like a warm week ahead, what kind of temps could we see in south wales?? Its 19.2C here and not even mid-day!

Any chance of some thundery showers this week or over the weekend?? :)

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

From a purely selfish point of view, dry please Friday and Saturday. Have to cycle 100 miles Tenby to Cardiff on Friday, then back again on Saturday.

Last year it was 8 degrees. We deserve two nice days.

From a purely selfish point of view, dry please Friday and Saturday. Have to cycle 100 miles Tenby to Cardiff on Friday, then back again on Saturday.

Last year it was 8 degrees. We deserve two nice days.

Posted

Could well see rain or showers this weekend with that big low west of Ireland. We certainly need a drop!

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm Chaser, Weathermen and Radar Operator

Heddiw: Cymylog yn gyntaf gyda golau neu glaw glaw mân mewn mannau. Mae rhai disglair cyfnodau datblygu ond gyda risg o cawodydd, mae'r rhain yn dod yn drwm o bosib ar draws yr hanner gogleddol y Deyrnas Unedig yn y prynhawn.

Today: Cloudy at first with light rain or drizzle in places. Some brighter spells developing but with a risk of showers, these possibly becoming heavy across the northern half of the United Kingdom in the afternoon.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

What a start to the day - 21 degrees already - about time we had some summer