Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales - Regional Weather Discussion

Posted

put too much faith in netweather forcast which had my postcode as dry all day , mmm just had a heavy shower and my washing is wet :doh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Yesterday managed a high of 27.3C here, today only around 22C, thanks to the cloud and rain lowering the temps! Still humid though, which doesn't feel nice! Just hope Wales can get a good thundery spell sometime soon!

Posted

Very quiet on these boards... temp has dropped through the day down west. Much cooler and fresher this afternoon that it was this morning.

• 1 month later...
Posted

Without any statistics to back this up (which is fairly lazy of me I realise)- is not this year following the same pattern as the last few- harsh winter, followed by glorius spring period and then the dreaded wet summer. I know we're not there yet and this is generalism in the extreme but can't help but feel we've been here before.

Looks like you were spot on Role on Autumn/Winter

Posted

Temperatures are likely to be below average for the majority of the country, perhaps well below average across parts of England and Wales, where the first frosts of the autumn are possible in rural areas. However, there are still likely to be some warm days at times, especially in the south and east.

Off the Met, got close to a groundfrost last night at 4 degrees here.

Posted

Anyone got any ideas how the winter is looking this present time? La Nina seems to be back in? Im no weather buff so if anyone can shed any light? The word on the street is that is will come earlier this year. What are your views? Thanks, Your local Welsh Gritter

Posted

Anyone got any ideas how the winter is looking this present time? La Nina seems to be back in? Im no weather buff so if anyone can shed any light? The word on the street is that is will come earlier this year. What are your views? Thanks, Your local Welsh Gritter

Bucket loads of snow hopefully blum.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Weather

Just hope we'll get a cold and snowy winter, but with the snow timing itself better as I don't want to be stuck in Cardiff a week before Christmas! Back to tonight - really heavy rain now and wind gusting 53mph.

Posted

Just hope we'll get a cold and snowy winter, but with the snow timing itself better as I don't want to be stuck in Cardiff a week before Christmas! Back to tonight - really heavy rain now and wind gusting 53mph.

Yes hope we do too. Not raining here yet in Magor, bit blowy but not too bad. Love listening to the rain and wind providing i am tucked up in bed lol. Wonder if the North gets it as bad as they say? interesting day ahead.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Summer for most of us in Wales was on the dry side, it certainly was in the west. Rather cool too, but not significantly so, I would say the most pleasant Summer since 2006 which was our last real warm one.

As for Winter anyone's guess, but we have been in a strange pattern for these past 4 years so who knows, we may see at least one severe cold and snowy spell again?

Posted

Hi all,

Do not post much on here but can anyone tell me what the weather is looking like for Fri,Sat,Sun in the LLEYN PENINSULA

Many Thanks

Posted

Band of rain moves through Friday afternoon followed by some showers.

Rather cool and windy with showers and some sun Saturday.

Still some showers around Sunday but drier later but rather cool and breezy again.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
WALES was yesterday hotter than Hawaii, with forecasters predicting the Indian summer conditions will stay with us until the weekend. Across the nation, temperatures climbed into the early to mid-20s, with sun-seekers flocking to beaches to soak up the warm autumn rays. In Colwyn Bay, temperatures climbed to 25°C, while in Aberystwyth they reached 24°C and in Cardiff 23°C. Average temperatures for the end of September are around 13°C – meaning Colwyn Bay saw the mercury rise to almost twice what would be expected at this time of year. But the Met Office said we should make the most of the fine conditions as they are unlikely to be repeated in October.

Forecaster Sarah Holland said the unseasonable conditions are coming from the continent with a high pressure system holding the Atlantic wind and rain away. Ann Blanchard, who runs Llandudno’s Oasis Hotel on the resort’s promenade with husband David, said families yesterday flocked to the beach. She said: “My husband’s been in the hotel trade for 30 years and he said he’s never seen anything like it. “We should be starting to slow down, but we’re busier now than we were at the start of the season. It’s like the middle of summer.” Today, Tenby, in Pembrokeshire, is expected to see temperatures climb to 22°C, Builth Wells 23°C, Newport 22°C and Rhyl 21°C. Miss Holland said: “Certainly as we look over our UK outlook these will be the warmest temperatures we’ve seen for a little while and possibly the warmest temperatures we’re going to see for a while. “Our outlook goes up to the end of October and this is probably going to be one of the warmest spells we’ll see.

Hawaii – which is generally mild all year round – yesterday hit only 22°C at Kahului Airport – 3°C below Colwyn Bay.

http://www.walesonli.../#ixzz1ZLYYKWXy

Posted

I equalled the Wales October record of 26.4c at 1300, but high cloud has dropped it a degree now, and very hazy.

Trawsgoed on 26c at midday, so should grab it there (provided it's an officially accepted location for record purposes of course.?).

EDIT A new Wales record: 27c (81f) at Trawsgoed near Aberystwyth, the highest ever in October!

Edited by Tonyh

Posted

This was topped by Hawarden at 28.2c!

Posted

Typical Tony I was in Aber the other week when it was cool and showery.

This will cool you down Wales has cooled in the last 10 years according to this,it has cooled definately since then,but not since 1981 I highly doubt,yes the summers/winters have turned much cooler since 2000 even autumn but springs are far warmer since 1981.

http://iceagenow.info/2011/09/wales-rate-cooling-increased-dramatically/

Excluding this exceptional warm week of course.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Managed a high of 25C today, warmest temperature I can remember in October!! Looking foward to the cool down now though! :)

Posted

Typical Tony I was in Aber the other week when it was cool and showery.

This will cool you down Wales has cooled in the last 10 years according to this,it has cooled definately since then,but not since 1981 I highly doubt,yes the summers/winters have turned much cooler since 2000 even autumn but springs are far warmer since 1981.

http://iceagenow.inf...d-dramatically/

Excluding this exceptional warm week of course.

That cheered me up- what a laugh that lot arerofl.gif

Posted

Hi Guys. I've just joined Netweather as of about 8.30am this morning. My missus thinks I'm obsessed with the weather and I constantly drive her nuts about forecasts and the like. She calls me Derek after Derek Brockway, a fine upstanding Barry boy like myself. I really need other people with which to share my obsession and to 'guide' me through forecasts and isobars and pressure thicknesses and blocking highs and...... well you get the picture. I have no experience in weather forecasting but I want to learn. By the way, my gut is telling me that this winter won't be as bad as the last two. I think it will be reasonably dry with frosts but in this part of the world i.e. Wales, we will only see snow over the mountains. I have to say however that I really do like warm sunny weather so in 2012, I'll be looking for a heatwave! Interestingly, the 'old farmers' say that we usually have up to five bad summers on the bounce before a good one. 2011 was the fifth one so woo hoo for next year! The old codgers are usually correct based on gut instinct, knowledge of local conditions and general seasonal awareness and they never spend £000's on state of the art forecasting equipment.

Posted

Welcome to Netweather FW! You have definitely come to the right place to share your enthusiasmgood.gif

I would say the Old Codgers are about right regards the frequency of hot Summer's in the UK.

However I would say 2011 was not actually too bad, at least here in west Wales, being drier than average, although August was rather cool and damp.

Posted

Thanks Tonyh. Interestingly, we took our family holiday in Pembrokeshire in the middle of August this year. Although there were some cool days, we had some glorious sunny days on the beach when the weather was pants just 100 miles or so further east at home. I realise that because we (the UK that is) are an island, our weather is affected by a number of factors the main three being the Atlantic, the jet stream and the European continent. This makes for an interesting set up and I know from following the charts on Netweather that sometimes, what looks 'nailed on' with regard to a weather pattern changes over 24 hours and we get something very different. I guess that's why following the weather is so much fun - nothing is guaranteed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Here are some phrases you might want to learn for the hectic winter threads here on NW fender!;

Azores high (what happens when things go wrong)

even larger teapot (what happens when things get frustrating)

Mid Atlantic High!!?!?!?!?! (what happens when things get desperate)

Just a Toppler (what happens when people are brought back down to earth)

Blowtorch (what happens when Ian Brown hijacks the forums)

Beasterly (what happens when someone decides to post a chart 15 days away)

Will it snow in Telford (what happens every winter)

Oh - and here's the post-2008 winter terminology

Cold

Snow

Frost

Northerly

Easterly

Showery

Will it snow in Telford?