Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Convective Weather Discussion UK

Coast

Posted

Everything around here just fizzled out, cold and cloudy now, feels like a completely different day to two hours ago.

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Big juicy cbs going up all over the place to the NE, E and SE of me. You're probably hearing thunder from the huge towers that I can see here. If only they a bit further west.

Yeah I can see something to the west (a cloud I believe they call it), with rain/hail shafts, and another big 'cloud' almost directly above me. What direction is the wind at cloud level?

Posted

Nice convective line along the CF boundary (just happens to be situ along the welsh border right now.) convective uplifting occurring further north along the line also, which puts Cheshire and Derbyshire into contention for some activity within the next few hours. Still another 3 hours until sunset with residual heating still to play.

Do you think I have any hope or should I just give up?

Posted

Have heard about 40 rumbles here from three different cells. Nothing closer than 5-7 miles though, hoping one pops up nearer.

The 1st cell died and a new one has popped up nearer Bath with 200mm+ per hour rain rate. Also a few popping up South of Warminster

on the latest radar.

Beautiful formation in an otherwise clear sky!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Thundery or Cold & Snowy

Got some nice towering cumulus overhead now, the wind appears to have switched to the west after being from the south/south west all day.

Posted
  • Location: Bedworth , 5 Miles North Of Coventry , 3 Miles South Of Nuneaton

Look at the CZ developing a line Cu across the E Midlands -- can be seen on satellite imagery and radar. Keeping a firm eye on the cells ahead of the CF to the west.

selfishly speaking I hope those ones in wales die down a bit or at least not have too much lightning as it's that what scares me the most

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

Convection exploding to the North East of Cardiff in association with the cells developing on radar. It's incredible, it's a development within 10-15 minutes and looks to be building as it moves off to the East.

Posted

It seems I must be prepared to be terrified later on

hope I can keep myself together

Posted

Would love to be seeing a ground-based image of that cell exploding close to Norwich right now. I guess whoever's observing it is too busy taking obs to be preoccupied heading onto the NW board right now. well-defined anvil with explosive convection within that cell, and CAPE around it to feed off from. One of the best i've seen so far today.

Just been out to have a look at this. Judging by radar it's about 20 miles SW of Norwich at the moment somewhere near Thetford. Visability isn't great though so apart from the hazy edge of the anvil there isn't much to see. Hopefully it might keep on till dusk when I'll get out for some lightning shots. I'm tempted to go and have a closer look but I think photographically wise it will just be murk. Fingers crossed for some action after sunset.

http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html?

This one is the UKMO one. Very accurate.

Thanks. Found the one I was looking for, but doesnt seem to include many strikes over the UK

where in wilts you from? guess by radar.. some where near corsham?

Pretty much...

Posted

at last, the clouds are darkening and I heard my first (very distant) rumble of thunder a few minutes ago :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Yeah I can see something to the west (a cloud I believe they call it), with rain/hail shafts, and another big 'cloud' almost directly above me. What direction is the wind at cloud level?

Haha. The ones to the northeast of Cardiff are now well and truly visible here and exploding in size, whilst one to the southeastish of Bristol looks to be growing strong too.

However, if they're moving roughly westwards, I may be unlucky.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Tower rising to the ENN

Nuneaton way.....

Edited by windypants

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Anyone else from Oxford here? Disappointing today... looks like we'll get away without any storms! Unless something pops up later or moves over from the west....

Posted

Lovely, thunder getting louder :D

Edit - just seen fork lightning!

Edited by snow raven

Posted

storm near me has lightning, including fork. Excellent - makes boiling to death all day worth it!!

Posted

Hi all,

Been in one of the smaller cells down south, good gusty winds at least ten strikes heard and seen.

Has kept building over me, can see blue sky in most directions but had rain and thunder for an hour now.

1st spring/summer storm for a few years overhead! lovely.

Posted

storm near me has lightning, including fork. Excellent - makes boiling to death all day worth it!!

Can see your storm on the radar, some nice precip going on in there.

Posted

Haha. The ones to the northeast of Cardiff are now well and truly visible here and exploding in size, whilst one to the southeastish of Bristol looks to be growing strong too.

However, if they're moving roughly westwards, I may be unlucky.

If they can hang around until the light fades could be a decent light show.