Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Convective Weather Discussion UK

Coast

Posted

Copied from Digitalspy

Between 3 and 4pm today in the northern parts of Sheffield we had extremely heavy rain which flooded the road outside by about a foot in the space of 2-3 minutes and we also had huge hailstones (penny sized - those buggers hurt!) that turned the ground white. Heard from others that loads of roads have been flooded or damaged and saw a number of manhole covers that had been lifted out of the road by the water pressure.

There was a pretty constant rumbling of thunder for all that time and several people have reported seeing a tornado funnel forming over the Deepcar area but it didn't touch down fortunately.

Ten minutes after it had finished most of the roads were clear, the sky was blue and sunny again and the heat became horrendous.

What a day!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fire tornado

Well i seem to be surounded by some wonderful "clouds" :yahoo:

Took this just 5mins ago...to the sw of me.

post-11150-0-96819600-1303579917_thumb.j

We have the odd big spot of rain here, no thunder or lightning yet but the sky is looking very dark towards the east of me.

looks like a fist punching the sky! still retarded autocorrect all to report here apart from its hot.

Edited by Daveweiser

Posted

Copied from Digitalspy

Between 3 and 4pm today in the northern parts of Sheffield we had extremely heavy rain which flooded the road outside by about a foot in the space of 2-3 minutes and we also had huge hailstones (penny sized - those buggers hurt!) that turned the ground white. Heard from others that loads of roads have been flooded or damaged and saw a number of manhole covers that had been lifted out of the road by the water pressure.

There was a pretty constant rumbling of thunder for all that time and several people have reported seeing a tornado funnel forming over the Deepcar area but it didn't touch down fortunately.

Ten minutes after it had finished most of the roads were clear, the sky was blue and sunny again and the heat became horrendous.

What a day!

Similar reports from Hallam FM (local radio)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

They had all the snow in winter, now the south Midlands are getting all the storms too!

Posted

No-one seems to have noticed that monster over Sunderland...??????

Yeah I've been asking about that for a while now if anyone here is under it but I get drowned out from the noise of all the action down south.

Posted

Thunderstorm on going at stamford bridge (watching it on ESPN)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Still very active in West Essex, shame the storm is out of my area but makes for good pics as I can show great cloud formations at a distance. My Am radio is going mental, Burnham and Upminster show loads of strikes but for some reason Newport has lost the plot!!

post-12190-0-49138500-1303580179_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Any lightning to the west of the Convergence Zone seems almost all gone. I have to say i expected more from today in this area.

Posted

Any lightning to the west of the Convergence Zone seems almost all gone. I have to say i expected more from today in this area.

Same. I wasn't expecting quite that much in Kent too!

Posted

The same here too. I'm really disappointed by today.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Can see the one over Loughborough from here (Rugby) 25 miles to the north a monster!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Current Anvil over NE Birmingham

sorry about the size part of timelapse :pardon:

gallery_12214_723_243042.jpg

Posted

Still very active in West Essex, shame the storm is out of my area but makes for good pics as I can show great cloud formations at a distance. My Am radio is going mental, Burnham and Upminster show loads of strikes but for some reason Newport has lost the plot!!

post-12190-0-49138500-1303580179_thumb.j

so has my Boltek will have to check the ranging settings as i adjusted it for the storms in Spain a couple of days back as it was showing them in France :wallbash: now its showing our UK storms too far away direction ok though :pardon:http://www.bicesterweather.co.uk/StormVue.php

Edited by gpspete

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/stormy

ok that london cell has moved back south but another smaller cell that is growing is now forming and heading my way

Posted

That photo from Brum is of the storm north of Leicester, it has given torrential rain, hail and TL according to Duane on TWO.

Also 40mm plus of rain in 1 hour according to NW radar.

Edited by Tonyh

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Holy smokes, the NW radar lightning detector has offically gone berserk near leicester!...someone's getting flashed to buggery....:lol:

Posted

That photo from Brum is of the storm north of Leicester, it has given torrential rain, hail and TL according to Duane on TWO.

Also 40mm plus of rain in 2 hours according to NW radar.

That one is the most impressive going by the radar. Currently over Loughborough...

Posted

Great photos from up on the horse, I watched the storm from the garden, did you hear much thunder up there?

oh yes very deep low rumbles just above the local noise levels

was lovely and cool :)

Posted

Action has now passed over the Welsh-English borders area near Ludlow. Lots of lightening and thunder, a few power outs, and a bit of rain.. Much cooler and air fresher.