Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Chat And Discussion

Coast

Posted

Are you reporting this from home or work?

Here we have had a couple of rumbles and one flash. I wouldn't go so far as to say it was a storm though.

at home, seemed big but maybe just coz we aint see much lately

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

very nice afternoon, thunder lightning crazy rain..... eek wonderful and alll my waterbutts have been over flowing.... :)

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Finally had first storm of the year so far in south London, two storm cells in succesion moved through in last hour with thunder around every 30 secs and very strong convective gusts. Storms now clearing with thunder still rumbling in distance. Rain cores had a green tinge to the north towards central London, so probably some hail, though not overhead.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Looks like it's very lively in the south suberbs of London ie Croydon/ Purley.

Hi Casper, just outside Croydon town centre and very lively in the last 20 mins. Lightning has set off car alarm outside. Rain looked very heavy at Sandown Park racecourse, Esher too, at around 5.45.

Best wishes,

Tom.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

An impressive Cb cell approached Norwich but predictably it has started to fizzle towards a rather more ordinary shower by the time it's reached Norwich with no electrification left. I'll be surprised to see more than a short moderate shower from it now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Still in the "No Storms Club" for now, though there have been some quite impressive Cb cells scattered around the vicinity of Norwich (it's still been bone dry since 2am). There's another cluster that is now heading for Norwich and has been producing lightning, though given how this year has gone so far I'm not holding out much hope for it keeping its electrification by the time it gets here.

Ditto, surrounded by anvils since about 3pm, it's chucked it down in every village round here apart form mine - a few spits and spots this morning and now some light rain off the back edge of a passing shower. Might make the grass a bit greener...unsure.gif

Posted

Anyone got access to the cumulative rainfall radar? Would be interesting to see from a 'drought' point of view.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The cumulative rainfall radar shows that most of the country has seen at least a couple of millimetres of rain in the last 24 hours, with many places having 5mm or more. The only areas that have stayed largely dry are some southern coastal fringes, a small area to the south of the Firth of Forth... and a little area of East Anglia centred on Norwich. :lol:

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Booooooom !

Another :clap:

Posted

Anyone got access to the cumulative rainfall radar? Would be interesting to see from a 'drought' point of view.

I recorded 10.8mm here in nw London today, almost doubling the monthly total so far. Good news

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.

Hi Casper, just outside Croydon town centre and very lively in the last 20 mins. Lightning has set off car alarm outside. Rain looked very heavy at Sandown Park racecourse, Esher too, at around 5.45.

Best wishes,

Tom.

Hi Tom cheers for the update. I have family in the Croydon area and usually call my uncle to give him a 'heads up' on any interesting weather. (No answer this time!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy

I tried to follow the storm from white city but was thwarted by london underground. Sitting on c2c now with really dark clouds all around me but bright sunshine overhead. The southern cell looks very juicy!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I tried to follow the storm from white city but was thwarted by london underground. Sitting on c2c now with really dark clouds all around me but bright sunshine overhead. The southern cell looks very juicy!

Where is that cell heading?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

The cumulative rainfall radar shows that most of the country has seen at least a couple of millimetres of rain in the last 24 hours, with many places having 5mm or more. The only areas that have stayed largely dry are some southern coastal fringes, a small area to the south of the Firth of Forth... and a little area of East Anglia centred on Norwich. :lol:

Hang the storms, it's hosing it down here at last clap.gif

Posted

Had a few rumbles of thunder in the past ten minutes.

Drove home from Manston (East Kent) through some extremely heavy rainfall and a few bolts of Lightning.

Posted

Most storms, which have been across central and eastern England this aftenroon, seem to have weakened or turned into normal showers in the last hour after a rather lively spate of storms around 5pm, obviously the forcing has moved away east into the North Sea and peak surface heating has now passed.

Lightning strikes today:

sf_na_1d.gif

Posted

Nice storm here between 4:45 and 5:30. More notable for the much needed heavy rain rather than electrical content. To be fair there were some close stikes. Bit surprised, the best storms seemed to be a bit further South than I expected. The steering winds must have had a more ESE movement rather than ENE.

Posted

Constant light rain here today. Thought I heard a rumble about 5 although more likely it was the kids playing on the bike (Not my kids) Dunno when the next batch of storms will be

Posted

Thanks. Probably not enough for the farmers then - though I guess some will be luckier than others

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus
Posted · Hidden by Arnie Pie, May 26, 2011 - wrong
Hidden by Arnie Pie, May 26, 2011 - wrong

A couple of photos from today

post-12214-0-99939400-1306440579_thumb.j

and one from last night for Jane Louise

What was that about red mackerel at night?:whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

A couple of photos. one of a cell just to the W of Birmingham the other one (especially for Jane Louise) from last night

post-12214-0-72550100-1306441196_thumb.j

post-12214-0-34334000-1306440960_thumb.j

What was that about red mackerel at night :pardon:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

A couple of photos. one of a cell just to the W of Birmingham the other one (especially for Jane Louise) from last night

post-12214-0-72550100-1306441196_thumb.j

post-12214-0-34334000-1306440960_thumb.j

What was that about red mackerel at night :pardon:

Arrghhh lol, the Mackeral sky I had last night failed to deliver except I did get some rain if that counts lol.

Good pics there Arnie.:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Best wishes,

Tom.

i was in weybridge at the time, just an incredible cell, amazing skys and snaped some rotation/lowering bases, very vigorous stuff, thought a funnel was next! the main storm cell was very close, just brushed here, as that storm moved away with deep booming i saw a couple of forks, then what followed was an intense downpours. so it was an exciting evening, the clouds were amazing!! it all came at once after some heavy showers in the afternoon, getting later thinking ah its all missing here, then it all moved in so fast!

Finally had first storm of the year so far in south London, two storm cells in succesion moved through in last hour with thunder around every 30 secs and very strong convective gusts. Storms now clearing with thunder still rumbling in distance. Rain cores had a green tinge to the north towards central London, so probably some hail, though not overhead.

yes the cells that brushed weybridge(about a mile main storm) and downpours that gave a direct hit here contained some impressive tree bending gusts!! what was most exciting was the lowering turning cloud bases, a light ragged grey with some going towards where the cell was coming from and then back the other way, i did snap on phone, i don't have pc wire but il try and get them uploaded some how soon.