Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Chat And Discussion

Coast

Posted

Lightning_animation.gif

Please continue your convective discussion here

Posted

Looks like the Eastern side of the country has potential today from Essex (maybe Kent) to Yorkshire. I'm not sure how far West this is going to get but the forecasts etc seem to have it on the Eastern coast and no more than 100 miles West of there. I've highlighted some charts and forecasts here:

Netweather convective forecast here:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=convective;sess=

Posted

Looks like the Eastern side of the country has potential today from Essex (maybe Kent) to Yorkshire. I'm not sure how far West this is going to get but the forecasts etc seem to have it on the Eastern coast and no more than 100 miles West of there. I've highlighted some charts and forecasts here:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=convective;sess=

I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed today, knowing me i'll be watching the FA cup final and forget the chances of storms only to be reminded when there's an almighty BOOM that causes me to jump out my skin and throw my drink across the living room!!

Looking at the forecast though i'd expect things to kick off from about 3pm (coincidentally same time as the footie), I think we'll see convergence from onshore breezes playing a key role in any storms today so expect to see lines of cells appearing mid afternoon.

Edited by pinball wizard

Posted

Looking at the forecast though i'd expect things to kick off from about 3pm (coincidentally same time as the footie), I think we'll see convergence from onshore breezes playing a key role in any storms today so expect to see lines of cells appearing mid afternoon.

I'm not sure about your reasoning for this. I would have thought development of significant sea breezes very unlikely given the gradient wind and the max temp forecast of 14C.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

http://forum.netweat...84#entry2077884

http://www.netweathe...onvective;sess=

Coast I dont know how your geography is but potential stretches from Essex to Northumberland/Southern Scotland.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Coast I dont know how your geography is but potential stretches from Essex to Northumberland/Southern Scotland.

Thank you NL I just posted that before as it confused me thought the risk had been downgraded for here!

Posted

Looking good here in Scarborough for some storms this PM. It really is quite cool and breezy this morning though, not the kind of set up you would expect storms in! Anyway, MO sticking with their thunder showers symbol which has been there for the last 2 days! (Most unusual!).

A stupid question! What's the difference between a thunderstorm and a thunder shower? The MO's forecast symbol has shown both for us and i'm unsure of the difference.

Just recorded a gust of 34mph. If there's gusts within the storms i might record some impressive wind speeds.

Edited by PMPhotography

Posted

Thank you NL I just posted that before as it confused me thought the risk had been downgraded for here!

Aye , nay bother Paul, Coasty is a little 'tinker' he likes to tease us northerners...!!

Just keep watchin satellite imagery and radar later for convective development, showers will pass through fairly quickly with the wind blowing at this rate, hopefully it should 'die' down a bit by early afternoon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Aye , nay bother Paul, Coasty is a little 'tinker' he likes to tease us northerners...!!

Just keep watchin satellite imagery and radar later for convective development, showers will pass through fairly quickly with the wind blowing at this rate, hopefully it should 'die' down a bit by early afternoon.

Cheers mate heres to at least a rumble! Had a canny one last Sunday when I was at me pals in Ponteland quite active. Good luck to everyone else!

Posted

I'm not sure about your reasoning for this. I would have thought development of significant sea breezes very unlikely given the gradient wind and the max temp forecast of 14C.

Maybe I wasn't clear in my post, I am expecting to see the majority of showers and the heaviest to appear nearest the coast. I am not suggesting that onshore breezes will have their presence felt miles and miles inland.

Posted

Maybe I wasn't clear in my post, I am expecting to see the majority of showers and the heaviest to appear nearest the coast. I am not suggesting that onshore breezes will have their presence felt miles and miles inland.

Yes I doubt anyone inland is going to see much action today. Any showers look to be restricted to being within 50 miles of the E coast. The 06Z NAE has downgraded the potential especially for Norfolk, Suffolk, Lincs.

Posted

Yes I doubt anyone inland is going to see much action today. Any showers look to be restricted to being within 50 miles of the E coast. The 06Z NAE has downgraded the potential especially for Norfolk, Suffolk, Lincs.

Yeah i've just taken a look at the NAE and all I can say is DOH! Wonder what the NMM says - I don't have access to it but if anyone does and wishes to comment then that'd be grand.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

rather chilly and windy, a chance to get the garden watered , some "messy" convection now starting ,after today it looks like the drought continues for East Anglia.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Yup, looking at the CAPE charts for today it does look like anything remotely electrical will be restricted to that Eastern Coastline. Shame, I was there last week Monday-Friday. :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Come on. Come on.

I hope we don't get a couple of rumbles and a few flashes, it would be such a let down.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

Come on. Come on.

I hope we don't get a couple of rumbles and a few flashes, it would be such a let down.

Lol thats exactly the type of weather you would get in this set-up .

Posted

Come on. Come on.

I think you are in a prime location, I think Kent and Humberside are the places most likely to see storms today.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

I think you are in a prime location, I think Kent and Humberside are the places most likely to see storms today.

Kent wasn't supposed to be though

Posted

Kent wasn't supposed to be though

LOL yeah well supposition is a wonderful thing, I believe many were supposed to have thunder last saturday night and didn't, these things are hard to predict and sometimes just as people can be disappointed they equally can be suprised!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Good Luck to everyone today :) could be a very interesting day indeed, it loos like whatever goes to the south east later will only just miss us by a few miles but may see some awsome Cloud formations and structures

COME ON STORMS!!!!!!!!!

Posted

Weekend storms are on the rise :) 4th weekend in a row of storm potential.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Lol thats exactly the type of weather you would get in this set-up .

What sort of set up would I have to have to get a decent storm then?

Posted

I was going to ask the same. What do i need to look for on my local weather station website to see if storms will pass the area. Located in Alfreton Derbyshire so not sure what we will get today but the wind is strong today

Chris

What sort of set up would I have to have to get a decent storm then?

Posted

That's a bit odd because you said, " I think we'll see convergence from onshore breezes playing a key role in any storms today so expect to see lines of cells appearing mid afternoon". Isn't the gradient wind offshore so how the convergence?