Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Chat And Discussion

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The convection seems to be sprouting up as the main line of showers in the North Sea approaches Norwich- just had a heavy rainstorm, and the cloud that has just past over is clearly developing "hail shafts". I also see that some electrification has occurred in the showers off the Lincolnshire coast, so the next few hours could be very interesting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fire tornado

good sized cell going up in milton keynes, its so close i can see the top! not heading my way though :wallbash:

Posted

So are these the Cheshire gap showers we were promised in December arriving 5 months late?! :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Thunder, Snow, Thundersnow, Hail, Sunshine, Rainbows

Some fantastic clouds over the North Sea, shame they are out at sea though :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Some impressive cumulonimbus cells around Norwich at the moment, one just to the east, and one slightly weaker one that is just clipping Norwich on its westward flank. I haven't heard any thunder, but judging by the cloud formations it must be pretty close to producing some.

Posted

Some fantastic clouds over the North Sea, shame they are out at sea though :(

Well I thought it might be the East side of the country, but not that far East!! :doh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

The convection seems to be sprouting up as the main line of showers in the North Sea approaches Norwich- just had a heavy rainstorm, and the cloud that has just past over is clearly developing "hail shafts". I also see that some electrification has occurred in the showers off the Lincolnshire coast, so the next few hours could be very interesting.

Since the showers we got earlier today, we've seen dark clouds passing to our north, but nothing much has come from them. I'm ex-pecting to get something soon, though, as I think the flow has indeed swung more NNW-SSE, as you predicted earlier.

Posted

I think the flow definitely needs to swing further towards the north than it currently is though- on the current trajectory the next lot of showers may well still pass too far east! But it's still in the process of "swinging" so it may well do.

Posted

Some impressive cumulonimbus cells around Norwich at the moment, one just to the east, and one slightly weaker one that is just clipping Norwich on its westward flank. I haven't heard any thunder, but judging by the cloud formations it must be pretty close to producing some.

We must have been posting at the same time. I'm now getting some rain here again, though the dark clouds look to again be north of here, as you said and as the NW radar shows.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheforecaster

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Thundery areas now developing in the norfolk area

Posted

All of it well to the north and east of Norwich though!

The radar is amusingly reminiscent of your typical unstable winter NNW'ly- some intense shower activity mostly out in the North Sea, a weaker feed through the Cheshire Gap and a wishbone effect in between- arrived at today through somewhat unusual circumstances.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

All of it well to the north and east of Norwich though!

I presume that all thundery activity will diminish tonight?

Posted

I presume that all thundery activity will diminish tonight?

It will- we really need the cloud movement to continue swinging towards a more northerly direction in the next few hours if we're to see anything.

Posted

The main areas look to be just brushing the east coast and staying out at sea

Posted

Iv'e been out walking with the camera since 13.00! I took the MO's forecast of thunder showers from 13.00 till 19.00 and thought i could get some great shots! There's some great convection around with some impressive cummulonimbus towers. We've had a few hail showers and a couple of heavy downpours but no thunderstorms. The sky has gone black though as i type and radar is looking a little more promising with some heavy showers moving down from around the North York Moors and Whitby area. Think I'll be watching from the window though! Iv'e walked 8 miles and my feet are killing!! :)

Posted

Neil Bradshaw's webcam shows the shower clouds starting to creep onshore across Tyne and Wear:

http://www.southshields-weather.co.uk/Today%27s_weather.htm

Posted

The question is will they produce anything???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

I am now in Felling (Gateshead) and looking east towards the coast the sky is very dark, the clouds have moved further inland but don't appear to be producing any lightning so far... Is the wind forecast to switch direction?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

No real rainfall here to speak of, not what was forecasted really and with a mainly dry week turning possibly warm next week-end in the south, so is likely going to look very dry around here soon it would seem.

Lots of showers this evening. No thunder, but some hail and torrential rain. There is a pretty heavy shower heading to my postcode (yo11). Probably my lst chance for thunder today :unknw:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

A very very dark cloud past north of me with a few grey clouds behind just a couple of drops of rain.

Posted

A very very dark cloud past north of me with a few grey clouds behind just a couple of drops of rain.

Just a quick heavy shower nothing spectacular

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Sky is almost black above Gateshead now and the clouds seem to be moving in a different direction to the top looks very strange. No thunder or rain but very still,,,,