Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Chat And Discussion

Coast

Guest Kent-Weather

Looks like the Eastern side of the country has potential today from Essex (maybe Kent)

Maybe not Kent. Shear is unfavourable. Deep layer shear perhaps maybe beneficial but the determining factors for storm potential away from CAPE/Li just aren't cutting it. I'll be very surprised indeed to see a storm crop up for our county.

Posted

I am trying to work out were to place myself to start the chase, Ditchling Beacon or Duncton Hill? I am hoping that the storms the charts are suggesting will pop up east of Chichester along the south coast will come off. I am hoping i am mot placing myself to far west.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

I am trying to work out were to place myself to start the chase, Ditchling Beacon or Duncton Hill? I am hoping that the storms the charts are suggesting will pop up east of Chichester along the south coast will come off. I am hoping i am mot placing myself to far west.

I'll probably have to say Ditchling Beacon, the main activity looks like being further east although that is not definate, but certainly you will get some great cloud formations as the showers travel across inner mid-sussex, due to the fact you can see very far to the north up there!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

the BBC is showing thundery shower for shoreham by sea at 1600. woo :D

Posted

I'll probably have to say Ditchling Beacon, the main activity looks like being further east although that is not definate, but certainly you will get some great cloud formations as the showers travel across inner mid-sussex, due to the fact you can see very far to the north up there!

I am thinking Duncton Hill as the start point as it is a bit further inland and more likely to catch the cells coming in from the North West. GFS and NMM are suggesting different areas so Duncton Hill gives me the option of going with both GFS or NMM if anything kicks off. Ditchling Beacon does have the advantage of a 360 degree view though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Apart from the far East, quite a low risk of Thunder today. Certainly not a day to get too excited about but good luck anyway. :)

Posted

Just had a very brief hail shower. Looking good now, camera ready!! :)

MO just upgraded forecast for Scarborough to thunderstorms right up to 19.00.

It's absolutely tipping down now with good sized hail!

happy days!

Edited by PMPhotography

Posted

Met office just updated weather symbol for Hull from thunderstorm to light shower at 1600 :cc_confused:

Looking at the netweather rainfall radar the shower intensity is not increasing so this appears correct at the moment.

A bad original forecast I think

Posted

Apart from the far East, quite a low risk of Thunder today. Certainly not a day to get too excited about but good luck anyway. :)

I have been doing this for to long to get overly excited :winky:

I am just giving myself options, If it kicks of it will be in the next hour or so. In the mean time I will continue with some work!

Posted

thanks to everyone for the kind welcome yesterdaydrinks.gif.clouds building again up here and rather humid .hope i dont have to join the no storms club but its been a long time since we had a good storm around these parts.so good chance il be joining soon.

good luck to everyone todaybiggrin.gif

Posted

Sorry to ask this if its in the wrong place to post but what is needed for a thunder storm to kick off. I have a local weather station in the area that i monitor but was not sure on what figures etc should i be looking at

Chris

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Some moderate showers developing in the West Midlands region now. :D

Meanwhile i have to lol at the Met Offices Thunderstorm for us at 4pm and 7pm. :lol:

Its nice to see the Met Office showing Thundery conditions better but i now think they are over doing it! Lol.

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

Sorry to ask this if its in the wrong place to post but what is needed for a thunder storm to kick off. I have a local weather station in the area that i monitor but was not sure on what figures etc should i be looking at

Chris

Moisture and warmth in the lower atmosphere, cold dry air in the mid and upper atmosphere, is the basic set-up, tday its too dry at low levels, and moist at upper levels, ive seen better convection in october than today lol

Edited by Sprites

A lot of showers scraping the coastline here, as expected. A couple of torrential downpours so far, and plenty more visible out to sea, but no thunder yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

When are the showers meant to pep up, gone very quiet on the radar!

Posted

A small cell just to my South over has become locally torrential now over Pedmore/Hagley (West Mids/North Worcs).

Sky looks thundery.

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

There were some heavy showers in Norwich around lunchtime but we're in a dry slot at the moment with a few showers grazing the northeast of Norfolk, though there is still time for things to kick off around here (I place 9pm as the limit for major convective growth here).

Posted

First shower of the day just passed through. Looks like it will be just showers today. Can see them merging later to give a long period of rain.

Posted

First shower of the day just passed through. Looks like it will be just showers today. Can see them merging later to give a long period of rain.

Looked quite heavy over your way. Just missed it here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

No rain here but just angry looking clouds

Posted

Looked quite heavy over your way. Just missed it here.

It was quite heavy...but also over very quickly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I have a feeling that those very heavy showers off the Tyne and Wear coast will creep onshore this evening as the cloud movement switches to NNW-SSE rather than NW-SE (and I've seen this happen before in similar synoptic situations in the region). Thunderstorms will be quite well scattered though.

Norwich is relying upon those showers coming south into East Anglia this evening, if there's to be more than the odd shower.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Had a couple of very heavy showers in the last half an hour, all with hail in them although less tha pea-sized. The temperature has dropped more than 5 degrees: it is now 9.3°C and another shower is on the way.

During the showers it feels like we should get a flash and a rumble but so far no such joy. Maybe later....