Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Have You Put Your Heating Back On ?

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet

How big's your garden?!!

Quite big, about 24 trees, with conifers, Silver birch, Maple and, oak, 1 around 40 foot high. I have Just taken down 12 conifers as they were getting to big, so enough logs to get me through next winter hopefully.

its called Sherwood Forest!

lol, not that big John.

Posted

Woodburner has been on several nights in June, and today, we lit it at 4pm. No point in sitting in a cool room when you can have the lovely heat and glow from a fire.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Yep heating on here. Generally it's off permanently June-August but too damp and chilly at the moment. I have it on a couple of hours in the morning and a couple of hours at night but I do have the thermostat turned right down to 45c. House temp ranges from 20-23c. If it gets above that I turn the thermostat down even more as it's too uncomfortable above that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Yep heating on here. Generally it's off permanently June-August but too damp and chilly at the moment. I have it on a couple of hours in the morning and a couple of hours at night but I do have the thermostat turned right down to 45c. .

45c :mellow: You a Vulcan ? I know they like it warm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny Summer days and deep snow in Winter with everything in between

Yep, heating on here.

Seems ridiculous!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

It's never been off! :whistling: . [A week last Friday & Thursday though it didn't reach the thermostat value according to my wife] I was working in London that week and noted a temp range on my return from 3c to 25c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

seems like a thread that is normally started late Aug for the autumn winter season, been decent summer so far, 26 max temps over 20C since summer begun in April

Posted

no - haven't had the heating on since mid March. Good old London town! It won't go back on again til mid November. It's cool out but i have a well insulated flat.

Posted

Heating has come on about three nights and early mornings in the last week.

It's not a good idea to turn central heating boilers off for months at a time. Even in warm weather it is advisable to run combi-boilers at least once a month in order to keep fan and pump bearings lubricated.

If left idle for months on end they often fail at start-up.

Torrential rain all day today was lovely for walking the dog in the woods. Lit Parkray room-heater in lounge and burned a few logs for him to dry out by.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

45c :mellow: You a Vulcan ? I know they like it warm.

Hehe whoops I meant 45F :fool:

I refuse to turn the heating on. If I feel chilly, I'll wear a jumper.

What about a slankie?

Heating has come on about three nights and early mornings in the last week.

It's not a good idea to turn central heating boilers off for months at a time. Even in warm weather it is advisable to run combi-boilers at least once a month in order to keep fan and pump bearings lubricated.

If left idle for months on end they often fail at start-up.

Torrential rain all day today was lovely for walking the dog in the woods. Lit Parkray room-heater in lounge and burned a few logs for him to dry out by.

I have a combi boiler, a huge gas guzzling one but I don't turn it completely off as I need it on for hot water I just turn the heating thermostat right down to summer setting. That's what I meant. :)

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

No. But still sewn in my winter clothes and more on top.

Posted

Thermostat is permanently on 16C and yes, as soon as we entered June the temp drops low enough for the CH to kick in!

Posted

http://www.herefordshire.nhs.uk/docs/Supporting_Vulnerable_People.pdf

If extreme heat is dangerous to "older people, and especially those living in care homes", then why do care homes nearly always have the heating on full-blast even during hot spells? A couple of years ago I had to visit somebody in a care home, and it was a warm day with the temperature about 24C. The windows would not open more than 2cm, and every radiator was on full. No fans anywhere. In some rooms- including the administration offices- it was easily 32C. Yet all the nurses were wearing those thick startched uniforms, and the office staff jackets. I just don't know how they cope with that for 12 hours, 4-5 days a week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Wow gloucestershire must be the warmest place in the country, our heating has been off since end of march and even the misses hasnt seen fit to ask about putting it back on and she does moan about being cold. Who ever mentioned about having the temperature on at a constant 25C ought to think about moving to the tropics :crazy:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

We aim for 20-21c in the living room (usually the coldest room in the house as its big & all the heat goes straight upstairs) for sitting and high teens for hoovering/cleaning or when we're not in.

Thermostat is so rubbish and inaccurate you can set it to 21c but it cuts out at 19c, then change it up a bit and it powers on till we hit 22c+.

So all done manually with the aid of me & my constant monitoring!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Our thermostat is set at 18c from 1600-2300 and it has kicked in for short spells during some evenings this month. It's set at 16c from 0600 until 0900 and up to now it's not been cold enough to trigger the boiler during the morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

No heating on here, it hasn't been cold enough to put it on, our rooms seem to hold the heat in.

Posted

We havent had our heating on since mid-March. The temperature in the house hasnt dropped below 20C since mid-April. Some on here must have very poor insulation if they need the heating on in June after a few cool nights/days?

I think its often more a case of dressing correctly for the occasion. It might feel 'wrong' to wear thicker clothes in late spring and summer, but if it means not having the heating on and saving on bills then why not?

Plus the greedy big 6 got enough out of us after December :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Yes indeed we do have poor insulation. It was upgraded in January (too late to fend off gas guzzling December) but all that has done is made the upstairs much much warmer. The fairly sizable downstairs living room cannot be insulated (solid brick so no cavity wall) and any warmth there heads straight upstairs.

Living room just made it to 21c today under constant sunshine after falling to 17.8c last night whereas I imagine those not needing heating are sitting in 25c+ rooms right now. I imagine our living room is fantastic place to escape hot weather but since heat has been rare as hens teeth since we moved there 3 years ago (with ample cold winters instead!)...

We've used no heating today of course but on Sunday with near single digit temperatures, no sunshine and constant rain making everything feel a damp kind of cold we were dropping into the mid teens in there. This is fine for doing housework but not for sitting for long periods especially as the missus is already covered in jumpers. And drying the washing we needed for Monday morning was impossible without heating.

Posted

Not with a 19% increase in charges just announced! :nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

We have avoided putting the heating on since Mid March. The temp has got as low as 17.3c in the lounge, but we resisted putting the heating on.

Average temp in the lounge has been around 19c, which is comfortable for me, but I think the wife would like it nearer 21-22c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I haven't used heating since March.

I think in most cases people are effectively wasting energy by putting the heating on/turning up the thermostat instead of putting another layer on, although there will be exceptions to this, chiefly the vulnerable and those in poorly insulated housing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

A few days it has felt chilly, but mostly not. It's a comfortable 23C in my bedroom at the moment.