Have You Put Your Heating Back On ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Cold wet and windy about 12c

Partner wants me to put the heating back on :unsure:

Not in mid June surely ??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Yes we have heating on right now was 14c now 18c in the house so a bit better. Looks like winter outside

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

I could very easly, but i said at the end of February "Thats it, it's off and stopping off untill next winter now" and im going to try and stick to it. But its certainly very tempting today :cold:

Edit: Women are nesh..

Edited by snowrob

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

I banned the heater last month as my wife was having it on when it was lovely and warm and sunny outsidewallbash.gif

Still not on (unheard of in June) although close to it last night when we had an air frost! Down to 16c in the lounge yesterday evening.

Much better today with the mild humid air in place.

Posted

No. Absolutely refuse to. Maybe the heater in the car first thing in the morning if it's as cold as last night and the night before, but once the central heating goes off it stays off till the evenings get noticeably darker. I find it hard enough to start wearing trousers again when not at work once the shorts come out for the first time, I've had to every summer since 2006 and it's getting to be a real pain.

IMO Britain could be a lot more energy-efficient if all central heating was programmed not to come on between a certain date range (I think 1st May-30th Sept would be reasonable in southern England), or if the outside temperature was 15C or more.

Posted

No. Absolutely refuse to. Maybe the heater in the car first thing in the morning if it's as cold as last night and the night before, but once the central heating goes off it stays off till the evenings get noticeably darker. I find it hard enough to start wearing trousers again when not at work once the shorts come out for the first time, I've had to every summer since 2006 and it's getting to be a real pain.

IMO Britain could be a lot more energy-efficient if all central heating was programmed not to come on between a certain date range (I think 1st May-30th Sept would be reasonable in southern England), or if the outside temperature was 15C or more.

Now thats a fantastic idea, but what about the elderly? They suffer more than anyone. I visited my mother the other day, and when i walked through the front door it felt like the caribbean !

Edited by snowrob

Posted

why not simply use the thermostat tocontrol the heating, choose the temperature you want, the times you want it on-no more wondering do you put the heating on or not?

that is of course if you have programmable central heating.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

I could very easly, but i said at the end of February "Thats it, it's off and stopping off untill next winter now" and im going to try and stick to it. But its certainly very tempting today :cold:

Edit: Women are nesh..

I told her in doors 'I will ask my forum budies' , the look on her face 'suggested' I switch it on, its on.

Central Heating mid June, global warming :drinks: .

why not simply use the thermostat tocontrol the heating, choose the temperature you want, the times you want it on-no more wondering do you put the heating on or not?

What I want isn't relevant see above.

Posted

Yep, our heating went on earlier this morning (have since turned it off) - just to take the chill out of the air. I always put the heating on if I feel cold - it doesnt matter what time of year or month it is :pardon:

Posted

We have Storage Heaters here as theres no gas, they are all or nothing and you have to switch them on 24hrs in advance. Ive heard the new ones that have come out are a little more flexable, But want be upgradeing for a while yet.

Posted

Just lit woodstove, it heats the water too so it's not an extravagance to keep the cool dampness out of the house (a bit).

Since the wood is free apart from cost of gathering it probably saves on alternative electric water heating.

Putting on three or four logs now, it will burn until after midnight and still be slightly warm next morning.

Posted

Just lit woodstove, it heats the water too so it's not an extravagance to keep the cool dampness out of the house (a bit).

Since the wood is free apart from cost of gathering it probably saves on alternative electric water heating.

Putting on three or four logs now, it will burn until after midnight and still be slightly warm next morning.

Ive heard that if you cover the logs with ash before you go to bed, it will still be red hot in the morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Goodness no, I've had my window open most of the day! Even if I did want the heating on I can't as the hall has turned it off for the summer.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Nah just do what I did install sound proofing. I've only got one room done and that's always warm and never has any heating on. Actually it's often too warm. Summer being a big problem. Going to get another room done downstairs as the neighbours are noisy so that should be another warm room as well.

Posted

Ive heard that if you cover the logs with ash before you go to bed, it will still be red hot in the morning.

Or just shut the doors and the vents and it can smoulder away for hours. Between November and March, my fire didn't go out once.....a bit like the past week.

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet

Lit the fire last night, but as I have solid fuel and burn only wood from the garden, I don’t have to worry about heating bills lol. Looks like I will be lighting it again tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

no not cold really, just typically average for February, although quite a few days in Feb were warmer than today

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Yep it's definitely back on here as the cold dampness really gets to you especially when temps fall below 12c like they are now.

The missus especially hates it and has been a complete grouch all day with these vile conditions. A shame as we were both looking forward to a day in together for first time in weeks but now it just feels clustrophobic as we couldn't do our jog or even a walk and the radiators are on and the light levels are so low. Like jumping head first into any winter weekend :(

Posted

Lit the fire last night, but as I have solid fuel and burn only wood from the garden, I don’t have to worry about heating bills lol. Looks like I will be lighting it again tonight.

How big's your garden?!!

Posted

How big's your garden?!!

its called Sherwood Forest!