Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

1 Aug 2011 - Storm/convective Forecast, Discussion And Reports

Posted

Hot and humid, but not a cloud in the sky for me I'm afraid. Maybe not today, perhaps in a couple of days then?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

It is VERY oppressive today in London! Air conditioning set to 16C and its hardly making a dent in this humidity...legs and back all sweaty (I know I know, TMI - nevertheless one must describe one's predicament lol)

At 1300, it was 27C in London...feels warmer!

Fair to say our storm ingredients are starting to emerge.

Edited by Harry

Posted

god i miss them old bbc weather maps! The best summers for night time storms that would last for hours :D

I have a theory... we've not had decent all nighters since they changed the weather maps... PERHAPS the maps hold the key to the storms of the olden days... blum.gif a little coincidental, you all have to admit biggrin.gif

Posted

Just to let you all know Joey over at Met monkey says there's an increaing risk if thunderstorm tommorow for Wales, west middlands and Northern England! :) he says he will issue an offical forecast this evening and he's preety much on the mark every time :)

Posted

Cloudy and sticky in Manchester! I can see some towers to the west of me but so far I only managed a few drops of rain.

Hoping for a bang later!

Karyo

Posted

Just to let you all know Joey over at Met monkey says there's an increaing risk if thunderstorm tommorow for Wales, west middlands and Northern England! :) he says he will issue an offical forecast this evening and he's preety much on the mark every time :)

Excellent stuff. Bring it on lol

Posted

Latest MetO scores on the doors:

Gravesend - 28.1C

Benson - 27.6C

Heathrow/Northolt - 27.2C

Obviously, it will be warmer than this locally!

So, warmer than forecast it seems - could mean a 30C or two tomorrow :D

Edited by Harry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Just melted on the walk to the shop.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Heavy localised showers here. Current temp is 19.5c with a dewpoint of 18c and humidity 90%. Very overcast, not seen the sun all day. Really need all this murky cloud to burn off for any storm action.

Posted

Yep! I think Manchester is going to be a prime spot :)

I hope so as otherwise all this sticky weather will be for nothing! I hate high temperatures and sweat! lol

Edited by karyo

Posted

Cloudy and sticky in Manchester! I can see some towers to the west of me but so far I only managed a few drops of rain.

Hoping for a bang later!

Karyo

Moisture seems to be further to the west, this is quite a good thing really as it'll keep the humidity over us :)

Posted

Some precip starting to pep up now across Wales, NW England, N England and S Scotland in particular

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather
:gathering: sun came out here about 1 30 pm ish ,we have a great big gurt ANTS GATHERING ON OUR PATIO , now that must be a good sign .just hoping tonights activity can kick in a little further east , but with all of us seeing some good activity for the rest of the week . just got a sneaky feeling things could be upgraded by tomorrow ,of course this is a changing situation as more atmospheric data is added . it would be nice to see most of the action during late evening , any cheers for now LEGRITTER NORTH SOMERSET . :whistling: NEWS WEATHER JUST SAID COULD BE SOME LOCAL DOWNPOURS ,:clap:

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

We dont get these anymore :cray:

What's that then?, decent weather forecasts using better weather maps and no panning?

Posted

Heavy dark clouds to the west and southwest of me are now slowly approaching. Nothing electric yet but a heavy shower should at least be on the menu! :)

Karyo

Posted

Mostly light rain in NW England, though a couple of cells popped up in N Lancs.

Posted

Got those same bases here karyo. they don't look to have any convection building up inside or around them for now and the NW radar showing just small isolated pockets here and there in one or two spots locally for the NW.

They look more like humidity-based convection than forcing, although I suspect by 7-8pm when nocturnal temps start to set in (given the sunset is now a hour earlier than a month ago) this cloud cooling will be more than enough to set it off. Met Office going for 4pm expecting the outbreaks to have already been occurring, a couple of hours over that is only a good thing with temps will in excess of 25'c in the Midlands combined with the DP & Humiditys currently moving our way.

Posted

Thanks Snow joke. I see what you mean about the cloud bases but there is definately some development in the last hour or so.

Fingers crossed!

The line to the west of me is even darker now but brighter to the south of me so I'll just miss any rain from it.

Karyo

Posted

I'm starting to see some darkening (more lower based than high) towards the general direction of Buxton. That would be to my SE, and if it develops into anything heading North up to Hayfield/Glossop area if that's helping anyone chase today. NW radar has just updated showing this echo now become sustained, so the first effects of the over-riding DPs are now starting to be felt. Right on cue as timed by the Met Office.

Posted

About to get some moderate showers over the nexr 10 mins or so.

EDIT Central Wales seems to have some heavy cells going up to

Edited by Dazmaster75

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

I now have doubts for tomorrow. The Met Office have dampened my spirit by stating that tomorows weather will be :

Staying cloudy with a few spots of drizzle in the morning but becoming brighter in the afternoon with some warm sunshine and an occasional shower. Maximum temperature 25 °C.

Updated: 1516 on Mon 1 Aug 2011

http://www.metoffice...st_weather.html :(

It was all looking so good before :cray:

Posted

Very sharp shower forming over me right now. Seems to be now or over the next 4 hours for storms today.

Posted

Jane the met office don't usually release a forecast of thunder untill the day because they don't like to get it wrong :)

Ironically the one time they did, several days in advance, they got it wrong also thanks to a lazy CF

I now have doubts for tomorrow. The Met Office have dampened my spirit by stating that tomorows weather will be :

Staying cloudy with a few spots of drizzle in the morning but becoming brighter in the afternoon with some warm sunshine and an occasional shower. Maximum temperature 25 °C.

Updated: 1516 on Mon 1 Aug 2011

http://www.metoffice...st_weather.html :(

It was all looking so good before :cray:

You're not the only one - for the SE 'heavy showers and thunderstorms' has been replaced with 'few sharp showers'

I've been rather pessimistic all along with this setup and it goes for bad to worse :cray:

Still though, wouldnt right anything off just yet