Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

24th Aug 2011 - Storm/convective Forecast Discussion And Reports

Stuart

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Looking at the radar, it looks like the channel is breaking up the line of showers.

Typical rolleyes.gif More chance for us over the next couple of days I think when things are forecast to be a bit more widespread. Still..plenty of day left yet.

That band of heavy rain could be something for people to keep an eye on later tonight midnight onwards. It is forecasted to develop as it heads up from the Southwest tonight and into the early hours as it heads east. BBC weather forecast video says it could be thundery and could lead to localised flooding in places.

Edited by Bugganuts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Weather

After a nice start here in Cardiff, showers has now taken over with some very dark clouds towards the Valleys and the Bristol Channel. Temperature nearly reaching 18C here in Cathays. Would be nice seeing some thunderstorms acute.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Typical rolleyes.gif More chance for us over the next couple of days I think when things are forecast to be a bit more widespread. Still..plenty of day left yet.

I hope so.

Posted

Darn channel,Had a light shower from that black sky but now breaking up,What gets to me is i've seen some huge storms in bristol back in the 90's and the channel did't get in the way then so why does it now.

Posted

Darn channel,Had a light shower from that black sky but now breaking up,What gets to me is i've seen some huge storms in bristol back in the 90's and the channel did't get in the way then so why does it now.

It's odd, because even the BBC said showers would DEVELOP up the Bristol Channel.

Posted

Still having sunny spells here. I expect the rain band to break up as it leaves Wales but still with some heavy(ish) showery bursts!

Karyo

Posted

Met office have a severe weather watch for heavy rain up a central slice of England tonight. That's it game over :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Worst day possible to have some activity, I've been dozing in and out of sleep for hours now and am really sick, I fear if I do get something I will miss it sad.png

Awww, sorry to hear that, sad.pnghope you feel better soon.I think we may have a chance overnight Hopefully you'll feel better then,

For the South West smile.png

Issued at - 24 Aug 2011, 11:50

Valid from - 25 Aug 2011, 00:00

Valid to - 25 Aug 2011, 15:00

Heavy rain is expected to move northeastwards across parts of England during Wednesday night and Thursday. Totals of 20-40 mm of rain are possible in places within a 3 hour period.

The public are advised to take extra care, further information and advice can be found here: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/links.html

Posted

GFS still prediciting good CAPE/Li for Thursday, especially Friday. Let's hope that stays as that would be one factor to our favour.

Currently some dark cloud heading up the Bristol Channel towards me with small bits of heavy rain but its breaking up a bit it looks like.

EDIT: Haha the radar seems to show the rain just disappeared over the channel/Severn Estuary!! Either its a fault or that area realy does stop rain in its tracks!

Edited by Bugganuts

Posted

I think enough to wet the ground, Bugganuts but I'm looking a bit further south west at a large finger of cloud as to what could be the MetO is referring to for the weather warning tonight and tomorrow. It will it seems go through Bristol and surrounding areas before maybe intensifying later on?

Just a rough guess but it seems like storm potential will favour the west since the last time that storms that favoured the west way back when.

(Even I can't remember that. But August 2003 was one of those occasions).

Phil.

Posted

I think enough to wet the ground, Bugganuts but I'm looking a bit further south west at a large finger of cloud as to what could be the MetO is referring to for the weather warning tonight and tomorrow. It will it seems go through Bristol and surrounding areas before maybe intensifying later on?

Just a rough guess but it seems like storm potential will favour the west since the last time that storms that favoured the west way back when.

(Even I can't remember that. But August 2003 was one of those occasions).

Phil.

Ye I think thats the main feature of today, Im also keeping an eye on that rain forecast for tonight. These current showers could give local downpours but I dont think anymore than that.

Edited by Bugganuts

Posted

Met office have a severe weather watch for heavy rain up a central slice of England tonight. That's it game over blum.gif

Well whilst I'm not currently in that central band, we have had some pretty intense rain here this morning in Mid Sussex before the sky cleared. I'm still looking at the Friday possibilities as the best chance before things go quiet for the BH weekend and next week.

Posted

Thanks jane, never again am I going to use the left over chicken from KFC in a caserole!

Awww, sorry to hear that, sad.pnghope you feel better soon.I think we may have a chance overnight Hopefully you'll feel better then,

For the South West smile.png

Issued at - 24 Aug 2011, 11:50

Valid from - 25 Aug 2011, 00:00

Valid to - 25 Aug 2011, 15:00

Heavy rain is expected to move northeastwards across parts of England during Wednesday night and Thursday. Totals of 20-40 mm of rain are possible in places within a 3 hour period.

The public are advised to take extra care, further information and advice can be found here: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/links.html

Posted

Thanks jane, never again am I going to use the left over chicken from KFC in a caserole!

haha! ouch! How did you ever think that would be a good idea to re-heat in a caserole? Its bad enough when you buy it blum.gif Hope you feel better soon though I know how it feels I had a whole week of gut infection once. ph34r.png

Anyway, the clouds are currently spitting at me, nothing more. Looking forward to tonight/tomorrow/Friday now.

Edit: A couple of sferics detected in S Ireland.

Edited by Bugganuts

Posted

Brought a bucket on the way back from Chichester, didn't want to waste it :D, oooo gut infection sounds nasty! Not as bad as the swine flu though :D

haha! ouch! How did you ever think that would be a good idea to re-heat in a caserole? Its bad enough when you buy it :p Hope you feel better soon though I know how it feels I had a whole week of gut infection once. ph34r.png

Anyway, the clouds are currently spitting at me, nothing more. Looking forward to tonight/tomorrow/Friday now.

Posted

Had 3 showers now last one quite heavy got soaked taking dog for walk,How many times have us Bristol folk heard(will intensify after Bristol)to many times,same old story,If i could i would go back to the 90's where storms DID happen in Bristol,Not totally giving up on today but not holding my breath for anything thundery

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

It's gone very black here!, more so than yesterdays bad forecasted storms lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Do remember that the MetO warning does not mention thunder...hence my pessimism at the presence of a waving front.

Given that some CAPE is progged there could well be sporadic thunder, though not as much as I favour will occur across Ireland, parts of Wales and maybe SW England.

Friday looks a better day especially for the southern half of the UK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

haha! ouch! How did you ever think that would be a good idea to re-heat in a caserole? Its bad enough when you buy it blum.gif Hope you feel better soon though I know how it feels I had a whole week of gut infection once. ph34r.png

Edit: A couple of sferics detected in S Ireland.

LOL couldn't have put it better myself, sometimes I question the state of it when it's freshly cooked, let alone being reheated in a casserole lol....didn't think anyone could be that stupid :p

That line of rain doesn't look like producing much here, it has clouded over now so what we do get isn't far off. Looks like tonight we'll miss the heavy rain to the east leaving us as we have been all summer- in a boring no-mans land of a weather void.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Do remember that the MetO warning does not mention thunder...hence my pessimism at the presence of a waving front.

Can people stop talking about the warning I was being sarcastic about the actual forecasts!

Anyway, Pouring it down here that shower developed rapidly on the radar :D

Posted

What started as a bit of drizzle just instantly turned into a 10 minute downpour, like with a flick of a switch.

Does anyone else love the smell of summer rain? I cant get enough blum.gif

Edited by Bugganuts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Can people stop talking about the warning I was being sarcastic about the actual forecasts!

Anyway, Pouring it down here that shower developed rapidly on the radar biggrin.png

Oh I didn't mean you VM - I could see excitement building over the warning and didnt want people to be disappointed.

What started as a bit of drizzle just instantly turned into a 10 minute downpour, like with a flick of a switch. Does anyone else love the smell of summer rain? I cant get enough blum.gif

I'm defo a fan!!! Other than fresh bread and petrol, can't be beaten :D