Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

24th Aug 2011 - Storm/convective Forecast Discussion And Reports

Stuart

Posted

Any chance of storms popping up during the night?..been a long while since i saw a night storm :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hot sunshine and snowstorms

We have some rain! Wooooo!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

This system is moving east much less slowly than I thought it would, so I hope we get a proper good soaking!

Posted

Hope somebody can explain the phenonenom I saw earlier. Half 9 I was out walking the dogs with mum. The sky was getting dark and was mostly clear........however I looked towards the west and I saw this big cloud. I could actually see lightning within that cloud! There was nothing to indicate on radar that there was any thunderstorms around. Some of the lightning in that cloud was absolutely spectacular.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

THUNDERSTORM IN PRAAG, HUGE cell on sat images

http://www.earthcam.com/czechrepublic/prague/

Posted

Very heavy rain here at the moment looking intresting again :)

Hope to catch a storm in the next day or so.

Posted

Good morning, Nut. (Something I get called on occasions but that's another story!)

There was an area of heavy precipitation around the time you mentioned in Glasgow, (or Glasgee in Scottish dialect!) so chances are that you were viewing distant intracloud lightning.

Phil.

Posted

Good morning, Nut. (Something I get called on occasions but that's another story!)

There was an area of heavy precipitation around the time you mentioned in Glasgow, (or Glasgee in Scottish dialect!) so chances are that you were viewing distant intracloud lightning.

Phil.

Never saw that kind of lightning before. That whole entire cloud was seriously lighting up. I was just looking there in awe.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Weather

Hope somebody can explain the phenonenom I saw earlier. Half 9 I was out walking the dogs with mum. The sky was getting dark and was mostly clear........however I looked towards the west and I saw this big cloud. I could actually see lightning within that cloud! There was nothing to indicate on radar that there was any thunderstorms around. Some of the lightning in that cloud was absolutely spectacular.

I've seen this before back home in North Wales where there was some intracloud lightning where there was a storm in Liverpool which is around 74 miles away!

Posted

Never saw that kind of lightning before. That whole entire cloud was seriously lighting up. I was just looking there in awe.

It is a joy to watch. Until last September (23rd) I had to wait 16 years to see night lightning down here in Solihull. And even that, hypothetically speaking was out of the blue. They are the best storms, cloud illuminated from the inside. Potential for my area even tonight according to the MetO and other sources says sporadic lightning but I think more wet than anything else. I have my camera ready though, just in case. :)

Phil.

Posted

Isn't it heat lightning, when the storm is too far away to hear thunder? I've never seen it before myself but it's not that rare, and has probably occurred here.

Posted

It is a joy to watch. Until last September (23rd) I had to wait 16 years to see night lightning down here in Solihull. And even that, hypothetically speaking was out of the blue. They are the best storms, cloud illuminated from the inside. Potential for my area even tonight according to the MetO and other sources says sporadic lightning but I think more wet than anything else. I have my camera ready though, just in case. smile.png

Phil.

Even though we haven'thad many storms here in my area? I have been treated to some real crackers ligtning wise in the distance and what I saw earlier seriously did top it off for me. Wish I had taken my camera out. Didn't expect to see that though

Posted

Is it me, or has that rain in the south west just partly fizzled away?

Edited by aaron

Posted

Isn't it heat lightning, when the storm is too far away to hear thunder? I've never seen it before myself but it's not that rare, and has probably occurred here.

Hi Aaron. Heat lightning is nothing more than lightning from distant storms reflected. Theoretically it is intracloud but as another member said a few minutes ago, was visible from North Wales but the storm being several miles away in Liverpool. The same if a storm is much closer is sheet lightning. Same thing but can be a misnomer as to what types of lightning.

Basically, all lightning is the same. Distance, as Nut pointed out with a distant Cb lit up from inside or if under a stratus canopy and a nearby storm is the sheet lightning phenomena.

Another misnomer being spider lightning which is intracloud that spreads from the cumulonimbus base but doesn't make contact with the ground. More cloud/cloud than from the individual cell.

I've only ever seen the latter once and it was awe-inspiring. Spread from West to east horizons. But that was back in the stone age where digital cameras were just an idea in mind. But maybe another time. :)

Phil.

Posted

Spider lightning is awesome, was a storm once when I was living out of town and nearer the coast here, storm lasted most of the evening and nearly all of it was horizon to horizon lightning, we took deck chairs out, a few beers, and just sat and watched it all, got soaking wet in the process but, who cares lol

Again that was before the age of digital cameras lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Keeping watch on the band of heavy rain from Central South and up through Midlands, this is wider further north. im also watching some sharper pulses appearing in central south on the thinner line, i expect a vigorous squall line to develop here, i also wait for lightning reports!

-

Also to note is further activity thursday night thats the new night coming next!

and a quick few words for the SE through thursday night and friday-flood and Tstorm..

-

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm