Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

24th Aug 2011 - Storm/convective Forecast Discussion And Reports

Stuart

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Wow this rain is relentless, the lanes have turned into streams. No lightning or anything but impressive rainfall.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Wow this rain is relentless, the lanes have turned into streams. No lightning or anything but impressive rainfall.

and it's heading for Jane in Cheltenham. good.gif

The triangular shaped area mentioned in a previous post of mine, certainly seems the place to be this afternoon.

Some sferics recently showing in Ireland and off the northwest tip of Wales too.

Nothing here but there's always later and another day.

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Thunder and lightning across much of Ireland today and still continuing

sf_na_1v.gif?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

After this batch of rain, the radar doesnt seem to show much else developing to the SW except for tonights forecasted rainfall. Even though no electrical activity, the water is welcome in the gardens :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Kind of makes a change that these showers arent being killed off in the Bristol Channel...some heavy rain incoming I think breeze picking up here quickly.

Has gone realllllly dark outside from the river severn

Edit: Am having some absolutely torrential rain, Im sure ive heard 2 faint rumbles of thunder but cant confirm..its a bit hard to hear with the rain blum.gif

Heard thunder in the distance a few minutes ago - only distant though. A well and truly soaking downpour just finished though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

the radar has zoomed into life the past 30 mins or so...plenty of bright echoes over SE wales pushing into gloucestershire and worcester and more discrete echoes over south shrops pushing into staffs, might yet be an exciting early evening for us!

post-4149-0-71348300-1314199218.txt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Torrential rain here too!! Been a good day for showers today, just nothing thundery though!!

Mix in some Cape/LI and we would have had some decent thunderstorms today!!

Have enjoyed some big beefy showers though!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Just starting raining here.My other daughter in Cheltenham has said its gone really dark.

Here's TORROS forecast.smile.png

TORRO CONVECTIVE DISCUSSION 2011/013

A TORRO CONVECTIVE DISCUSSION has been issued at 1520GMT on Wednesday 24th August 2011

Valid from/until: 15:20 – 1200GMT on Wednesday 24th/Thursday 25th August 2011 for the following regions of the United Kingdom & Eire:

SW England

Central southern England

Midlands

Eastern England

SE Yorks

Extreme SE Wales

THREATS

Isolated tornadoes; gusty winds; CG lightning; heavy rain

SYNOPSIS

Slow-moving baroclinic zone will lie through the area tonight. An upper trough will move from the south-west. Returning moisture at low-levels, coupled with cooling aloft will yield slight instability along and just ahead of the frontal zone.

One or more small waves should move NNE along the frontal zone overnight. Backed winds ahead of these coupled with 850 hPa flow of around 35-40 knots should lead to around 20-30 knots of 0-1km shear, with cyclonically curved hodographs.

A small area of heavy showers is currently moving through Gloucs, etc, and poses a small risk of a brief tornado or gusty winds. More widespread activity, perhaps with some embedded thunder, should move into SW England by around 2000GMT, and thence NNE overnight - some eastward progression of the front is likely too. Indications are that a line-echo wave pattern (LEWP)/quasi-linear convective system (QLCS) may develop. It is the potential development of this which may bring the tornado risk.

Heavy rain is likely in places, perhaps 30-50mm locally.

The lack of a more robust signal for strong convection within a sheared regime precludes the issuance of a watch at present. However, the situation will be monitored this evening, and a watch may be issued if more robust convection can develop.

Forecaster: RPK

http://www.torro.org...te/forecast.php

Wow, a really heavy shower herebiggrin.png everythings blown around in garden ohmy.png

Posted

Looking good rain at least then!! No great risk of much T&L though, as I read it!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hot sunshine and snowstorms

Yay jane! Looks like I'll remain dry here yet again sad.png I doubt I'll get any rain tonight either.

It's raining a tidgey bit here mate. Quite grey to my WNW

Posted

I'm mainly in St George, but I also spend long periods of time in Hanham, Yate and Bedminster!!!

We've had some decent, regular downpours today!! Just a shame there has been no T&L to top it off!!

Il be listening out for Ian later, if he mentions T&L then that's the time to get excited!!

Posted

Have had another shower. Was fairly short and could have been a rumble before it unloaded but wasn't that heavy and didn't last too long (sun's back out now)

Edited by NUT

Posted

Yay jane! Looks like I'll remain dry here yet again sad.png I doubt I'll get any rain tonight either.

It's okay Staffordshire don't give up yet, you may see something tonight probably about 8pm onwards. Fingers crossed for you.Good luck.biggrin.png

Posted

Estofex have nothing over us whatsoever for today/tonight!!

TORRO sounds better!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Thunder, Snow, Thundersnow, Hail, Sunshine, Rainbows

Got heavy showers passing over East Durham at the moment, went very black. Was expecting thunder, pretty sure someone will get thunder somewhere. Any reports fellow northeasterners?

Edited by Dommy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Thanks for the TORRO update Jane smile.png ......So then possibilites for some embedded storm activity overnight within the trough....If nothing else, it should bring some much needed overnight rainfall for our area

Posted

bring it on, I'm in the yellow zone.

my son and 3 mates are camping out tonight up in hills and middle of the woods. Should be fun in the early hours.

Posted

Clouds looking quite heaped here building up, windy too and feeling cool, maybe expecting some storms here and across other parts of the UK. :)

Posted

All 3 TV Weather forecasts i just seen didn't say anything about thunder or thunderstorms tonight or tomorrow,Just showers which may become heavy at times,Has dampened my interest moderately.

Posted

All 3 TV Weather forecasts i just seen didn't say anything about thunder or thunderstorms tonight or tomorrow,Just showers which may become heavy at times,Has dampened my interest moderately.

since when did the TV forecasts get it right? rofl.gif

Edited by staplehurst

Posted

To be honest Raidan, I wouldn't rely on the TV forecasts I never do.Netweather and other sources are alot better. I'm still positive for this evening and tomorrow and Friday.smile.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Were the tv forecasts right on Monday night? Having said that I can't see much sferic activity tonight. Just my opinion and I shall happily be proven wrong.