Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

27th Aug 2011 - Storm/convective Forecast Discussion And Reports

Coast

Posted

Just had a small rumble here and as quick as that shower came through the sun's back out again

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

There is a massive anvil towards NW London way.

It will miss us again as usual.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

11 thunders day so far this year, Anvils in the S.w. now may pass to the south, much better than watching saturday T.V.though ,radio crackling every 20secs, east anglia got a nice convective show today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hot sunshine and snowstorms

Lots of interesting cloud around today, Nothing came of any of it, few drops of rain... that's about it. Been a really bad summer for storms around here. Hmmm lets see how September pans out. Have had only one over head storm this year. And that distant Penkridge storm back in June or July. Looking forward to Winter now...hoping for some nice surprises there!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Lots of interesting cloud around today, Nothing came of any of it, few drops of rain... that's about it. Been a really bad summer for storms around here. Hmmm lets see how September pans out. Have had only one over head storm this year. And that distant Penkridge storm back in June or July. Looking forward to Winter now...hoping for some nice surprises there!

9th May actually it was, but ive had none since then, seemed to miss it last night

Posted

9th May actually it was, but ive had none since then, seemed to miss it last night

May? God doesn't time fly when you're waiting for storms that never come! *sigh*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

According the radar, I just received the most intense burst of rain at 18:30 than anywhere else in the whole of the UK...nice!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Well that was typical - I've been over near Manea all day, fantastic skies, surrounded by towering cumulus and some really good potential storms. A few spits and spots of rain, one faint rumble of thunder whilst the OH kindly informs me that there's been rumblings almost all afternoon at home from various cells passing by. Still on 4 thunder days for 2011, pathetic.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Well that was typical - I've been over near Manea all day, fantastic skies, surrounded by towering cumulus and some really good potential storms. A few spits and spots of rain, one faint rumble of thunder whilst the OH kindly informs me that there's been rumblings almost all afternoon at home from various cells passing by. Still on 4 thunder days for 2011, pathetic.

yeah some might say, especially for southern UK, 2011 been boring year, only had 2 storms, and 1 day of lying snow here this year

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

If you had a good view South im surprised you didnt catch any of our amazing lightning show last night considering the lightning towards the end was some 30 miles and still very visible.

Posted

If you had a good view South im surprised you didnt catch any of our amazing lightning show last night considering the lightning towards the end was some 30 miles and still very visible.

I was at work, didn't even realise anything was happening lol!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

I was at work, didn't even realise anything was happening lol!

Ahh right fair enough, Thunder couldnt really be heard here but if more were aware of it and had a decent view South many more could have seen it probably. When the Lightning was more around Bromsgrove you probably could have seen it especially. As i said last night towards the end the Lightning was nearer the Gloucestershire/Oxfordshire borders and could still be seen very visibly. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Hi blizzard I seen the distant lightning last nightdue to being on top of a hill . I t must be the same lightning you mentioned I seen it out towards tewkesbury.no thunder and just a few distant flashes but yes I was watching this from afar. :).

Posted

Hi blizzard I seen the distant lightning last nightdue to being on top of a hill . I t must be the same lightning you mentioned I seen it out towards tewkesbury.no thunder and just a few distant flashes but yes I was watching this from afar. smile.png.

Great, I was quite confident that you would see something even though it wouldnt be a full blown storm where you were. Im sure you saw the same Lightning as I did. Its amazing how far it can be seen from. biggrin.png

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Can see lightning in the distance to the North of me Cumbria I think.

Sat in a caravan in the S.Lakes at the moment. Torrential rain for the past 20 mins, lightning and thunder, can't hear the telly !

Yep can see the lightning from here in Preston.

Think that heavy rain currently in South Cumbria may just miss me to the East but my radar seems to think it's heading my way. Currently 16 miles away ETA 1hr 27 mins, 18mm of rain expected and falling at a rate of 26.7mm hr. Hmmm we'll have to wait and see......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Yip heavy rain passing here heading East Lancs way.

Posted

A Bristol Channel streamer has set up in the last few hours and is moving inland across Somerset into Wiltshire, expect a narrow line of frequent showers

throughout the night in those places affected now or of the wind shifts the streamer will do likewise.

A recent lightning strike recorded near the North Somerset coast and one particularly heavy cell is currently over the sea.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

Try Guildford for an 'exciting, thrilling & rewarding' thunder experience (sarcasm intended).

2011 - 3 days so far and not much chance on improving the total if this awful summer is anything to go by, especially this last dreadful week of potential & unfulfilled stream of mess-ups, letdowns and downgrades for this area.

2010 - 4 days (slept through the single rumble on Sat 23rd Oct)

2009 - 6 days (of which 2 were single discharges which were both missed).

2008 - 15 days (where 5 of these were in April, 2 in March and 1 in January). Summer 2008 was as bad as this year for thunder. Even the 'famous' 6th August light-show missed this part of S. England as the usual mechanism to provide us with our unprecedented lack of thunder activity got into gear - the curse of the plumes being pushed east into the low countries as yet more Atlantic dross (S.W.ly's) has to reassert.

Note: My annual average for thunder at Guildford (1992 to 2006 sample period) is 16.3 days - we have had one average years worth of thunder over three and a half years.

Unlike in the 1990's and before - when a plume failed, the unstable westerly or S.W.ly situation that followed usually provided a 'consolation prize' - we can't even get that now. So much opportunity yesterday and today. Yet the pressure is rising and it will be yet another cloudy high (no doubt).

Sorry to veer off topic - this type of summer and lack of thunder is becoming seriously boring, especially when there is no other event on the horizon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Does anyone know if the trough predicted across some southern parts of England tomorrow (well later today) have potential to produce anything? Or is it likely just to be some light/moderate showers?