Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

30th Sept 2011 Weather & General Weather Chat

Dorsetbred

Posted

For me at least this weather is long overdue given how lacking it has been in recent Julys and Augusts. Swings and roundabouts.

I do agree though that weather forecasters (and news presenters) should stop putting their own bias in their weather descriptions and just tell it like it is.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

That's the problem. No snow, no go. unknw.gif

What a ridiculous comment LOL how often do we get snow in September?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

What a ridiculous comment LOL how often do we get snow in September?

It's called being sarcastic. smile.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Thunderstorms, Snow

27.8c here at 13:13

Just incredible, other stations around me are reading similar such as Nottingham other East Mids locations

Edited by Paceyboy

Posted

It's called being sarcastic. smile.png

Well sometimes it's hard to tell on here who is actually being sarcastic and who is being serious! Strange folk on here at times LOL ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

For me at least this weather is long overdue given how lacking it has been in recent Julys and Augusts. Swings and roundabouts.

I do agree though that weather forecasters (and news presenters) should stop putting their own bias in their weather descriptions and just tell it like it is.

I mentioned in the other thread that they can be quite fickle with it as well- I heard a couple of BBC forecasts describing the current weather as "gorgeous" yet in the past, in similar conditions they've talked of it being too hot but with "welcome sea breezes" around some of the coasts. It probably depends on who the presenter is and what heat tolerance threshold he/she deems to be appropriate for the population, but again this rather supports your second sentence- why bother?

The sea breezes are more pronounced further up the Northumberland coast keeping Boulmer down at 17.5. Here it looks like we're on the western periphery so there is still a chance of it getting hotter later this afternoon (24.2C at 5pm yesterday for instance).

Posted

I mentioned in the other thread that they can be quite fickle with it as well- I heard a couple of BBC forecasts describing the current weather as "gorgeous" yet in the past, in similar conditions they've talked of it being too hot but with "welcome sea breezes" around some of the coasts. It probably depends on who the presenter is and what heat tolerance threshold he/she deems to be appropriate for the population, but again this rather supports your second sentence- why bother?

Or is it just because the expectation at this time of the year generally is for much cooler temps and we (the public) are 'more prepared' to tolerate the heat as it is seen as a bonus in Sept/Oct?

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Another really warm September day.

Sunny this morning but very hazy now max 25c for the third day on the trot.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Or is it just because the expectation at this time of the year generally is for much cooler temps and we (the public) are 'more prepared' to tolerate the heat as it is seen as a bonus in Sept/Oct?

I think this can work either way- some people I know have complained that they are finding it a bit hot primarily because of how late in the season it is. It's really just another line of evidence against the position of presenters trying to second-guess what the majority of people want- sometimes it can be a pretty marginal decision.

If I had to second-guess, I'd say that the majority of people in the more urban parts of Greater London probably find these temperatures too hot (urban heat island, tube journeys etc) and the majority elsewhere probably enjoy them- so again, tricky if trying to speak for the UK as a whole.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

I have 28 degrees here right now, Hawarden airport is also reporting 28. Some of the local weather stations are reporting astounding readings, Connahs Quay 31.6, Vale of Clwyd 30.0, Wrexham 29.2 and Chester Westminster 28.8...staggering.

Edit, Connahs Quay now saying 32.3, I'm not really sure what to make of that.

Pete

Edited by PeteB

Posted

29.3C in my back garden again, very little breeze and even less cloud, Doncaster airport showing 29C again.

I'll post a couple of corrections re yesterday for the UK (well I think it needs correcting) this evening.

Posted

More cloud heading in now from the west ahead of the weather front making the sunshine more hazy, 24c reached here I expect the cloud will cool things off through the afternoon - depending on how much moves in.

Edited by Liam J

Posted

RAF Mildenhall also at 29C, so a real chance of a new latest date in the year for 30C being recorded. The current latest date is 27th September (1895, when 30.6C was recorded).

The 30th September record has also been smashed (was previously 27.8C in 1908).

I have 28 degrees here right now, Hawarden airport is also reporting 28. Some of the local weather stations are reporting astounding readings, Connahs Quay 31.6, Vale of Clwyd 30.0, Wrexham 29.2 and Chester Westminster 28.8...staggering.

Edit, Connahs Quay now saying 32.3, I'm not really sure what to make of that.

Pete

The 30C+ readings are almost certainly too high, though the 28C at Hawarden is possible (it was reporting 27C when I checked before).

Edited by AderynCoch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

RAF Mildenhall also at 29C, so a real chance of a new latest date in the year for 30C being recorded. The current latest date is 27th September (1895, when 30.6C was recorded).

The 30C+ readings are almost certainly too high, though the 28C at Hawarden is possible (it was reporting 27C when I checked before).

I would agree.

I am originally from Wrexham and we always struggled to get to 30c even in a warm summer.

Posted

No official sites are at 30C yet but there are a couple on 29 and numerous sites on 28 according to Netweather's homepage.

Posted

No official sites are at 30C yet but there are a couple on 29 and numerous sites on 28 according to Netweather's homepage.

NW shows Doncaster airport at 30C confirmed by its METAR but see my post in the thread on todays weather.

Posted

Bags of sunshine but only 22.9 DgC in Eastbourne due to the coastal effect - the same as yesterday so far.

Posted

Yes, pretty certain those 30+ readings are over optimistic. However, the Welsh record for October which stands at 26.4 set in Ruthin 1985 should be smashed tomorrow.

Pete

Posted

I'm not a happy bunny. On the basis of the forecast late yesterday (mist and st. lifting quite quickly giving a sunny day) i decided on a boat trip down the Fal taking a few photos etc. At 0740 this morning they amended that slightly to fog and mist persisting until the early afternoon which turned out to be correct. As it should of course. Spent an hour on the boat, freezing cold and photos are of course going to be poor. Of course now it's quite hot with just a touch of Ac. Did have a quick peak in the Maritime Museum which is always interesting.

Gloriously sunny to start, before a bit of high cloud edged in, around lunchtime, this turned the sun a bit hazy, or just bright spells, but if has turned sunnier again since around 3. Temps 21c at local station on coast, closer to 23-24c here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

I love them synoptic charts weather ship! There are european ones that look just like that which you have posted before - do you have a link for the british and european charts that you post? Thanks in advance.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Another glorious day to be stuck inside!

26.7c our max (my readings seem to be lower than other nearby stations unlike during high summer when its the other way round!).

No a cloud in the sky.

Looking forward to actually getting out and enjoying the weather finally tomorrow!