Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weird Little Things That Only A Weather Fanatic Would Notice.

Posted

We are all weather nuts right?

What do you guys think are the little things that only we'd notice about the weather?

For example.....

Have you ever noticed every time the sun goes behind a cloud on a nice anticyclonic day, it's immediately followed by a little 'gust' of wind that rustles the leaves on the trees.

Or, like when you get a double rainbow (don't you dare!) there's that little area in between that looks darker?

Just little things like that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

The transition from rain to snow. You can actually feel the colder air undercutting the milder air, and the air temperature drops hellishly fast!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Have you ever noticed every time the sun goes behind a cloud on a nice anticyclonic day, it's immediately followed by a little 'gust' of wind that rustles the leaves on the trees.

Always note that one myself too!

Similar how I always notice how still it gets after sunset after a warm but sometimes breezy day.

Posted

We are all weather nuts right?

Wrong, and the weird thing I notice always about weather nuts is It always reminds me of Oscar when, to quote, the boor sidled up to him in the pub and said, " I passed your house last night Mr. Wilde", and Oscar replied, " Thank you".

I'm talking about the narrow line.

Posted

I have the power to smell snow in the air before it actually begins to fall. It has obviously got to be cold to begin with with moisture in the air. But there is a discernable snow smell.

I often also think about what the temperature might be when I am outside, and when I check it out by looking at the official temperature, I find in most instances I am within 1.5C of accuracy !

Posted

Wrong, and the weird thing I notice always about weather nuts is It always reminds me of Oscar when, to quote, the boor sidled up to him in the pub and said, " I passed your house last night Mr. Wilde", and Oscar replied, " Thank you".

I'm talking about the narrow line.

Please explain.

Posted

Please explain.

Sorry Styx it's nothing very profound. Just my pitiful attempt to elaborate on the question, "We are all weather nuts right?" I should have simply replied that we are not. Or at least I'm not. One can very interested in the weather without being obsessional as of course in any other subject.

Edited by weather ship

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I don't think weather nuts is a literal term.. don't read into things too much!

Posted

What about those little 'gustettes' that happen at the back end of summer to tell that autumn's coming.

I mean like you sometimes get gusts of wind that are like anxious or disturbed, not the calm breeze type, but more hurried and puposeful?

Also the the season gets to certain point of the year where the roads never dry out?

I suppose it's because the salt in the grit hold the moisture to the road surface?

Precipitation lasts longer after the cloud has moved on with a snow shower than with a rain shower.

Yeah, you can have blue sky for ages after a snow shower has passed and it be still falling, also, ages before a snow shower arrives, you get microflakes falling.

Always note that one myself too!

Similar how I always notice how still it gets after sunset after a warm but sometimes breezy day.

You can have a really windy summer day and be almost certain that the wind will drop to next to nothing once the sun sets.

Posted

You can have a really windy summer day and be almost certain that the wind will drop to next to nothing once the sun sets.

very true, and the annoying cloud that was blotting out what could have been a scorcher, suddenly disappears as the sun begins to set

Posted

very true, and the annoying cloud that was blotting out what could have been a scorcher, suddenly disappears as the sun begins to set

The Telford Effect, I believe it's called.

Posted

I have the power to smell snow in the air before it actually begins to fall. It has obviously got to be cold to begin with with moisture in the air. But there is a discernable snow smell.

I often also think about what the temperature might be when I am outside, and when I check it out by looking at the official temperature, I find in most instances I am within 1.5C of accuracy !

me too about the temperature ,I'm a top guess.

Precipitation lasts longer after the cloud has moved on with a snow shower than with a rain shower.

Could that be because the snow is lighter and can thus travel on the breeze further.I too have noticed this.

Edited by greybing

Posted

Could that be because the snow is lighter and can thus travel on the breeze further.I too have noticed this.

Yep I think that is the reason. If the showers are fairly frequent, the gap between the showers become blurred and its almost constant snow.

Something I have noticed but not for awhile but during thunderstorms or thundery showers, sometimes after a close bolt of lightning and loud thunder, the rain suddenly increases in intensity.

Posted

When you're out lying in the sun and a rogue cloud moves over, it comes almost to a grinding halt when it blocks the sun!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

me too about the temperature ,I'm a top guess.

I've noticed it too. often seeing snow falling with hardly any clouds above!