Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Corbyn - Winter Warning Of Exceptional Uk Cold And Snow

shedhead

Posted

Last set of actual windspeeds observations from me today I think.

post-6667-0-78975900-1326384769_thumb.jp

post-6667-0-55283000-1326384771_thumb.jp

post-6667-0-45761900-1326384775_thumb.jp

There are currently no online media reports of any damage or any adverse effects from high winds or gusts today. It appears there was no disruption to land or air transport and no sea crossings were cancelled or bridges closed. I will check tomorrow and Saturday to see what is updated

We do have good testament from a few of members from here that it was extremely windy in some Northern parts early this morning, although actual figures can't necessarily be put to that. We also have some 'unofficial' gusts recorded at up to 81 mph. You need to treat these as you feel fit as although they did not reflect what some of the national sources were showing, they may have been localised gusts caused by funnelling through topographical features - that could be relevant and make them 100% valid or at least worth considering.

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted

Last set of actual windspeeds observations from me today I think.

post-6667-0-78975900-1326384769_thumb.jp

post-6667-0-55283000-1326384771_thumb.jp

post-6667-0-45761900-1326384775_thumb.jp

There are currently no online media reports of any damage or any adverse effects from high winds or gusts today. It appears there was no disruption to land or air transport and no sea crossings were cancelled or bridges closed. I will check tomorrow and Saturday to see what is updated

We do have good testament from a few of members from here that it was extremely windy in some Northern parts early this morning, although actual figures can't necessarily be put to that. We also have some 'unofficial' gusts recorded at up to 81 mph. You need to treat these as you feel fit as although they did not reflect what some of the national sources were showing, they may have been localised gusts caused by funnelling through topographical features - that could be relevant and make them 100% valid or at least worth considering.

re the 81mph gust at Bradfield C that was me quoting Look North Breakfast. I will check to see if Paul Hudson on his evening forecast mentions it again. If he does then it makes it semi official if not then best ignored.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Outdoors

I can only hope that the commenter from South London is being ironic http://www.weatheraction.com/displayarticle.asp?a=412&c=5

"Piers well done on the accuracy of the wind forecast - certainly was eveident here in South London in the early hours this morning"

Posted

I can only hope that the commenter from South London is being ironic http://www.weatherac...e.asp?a=412&c=5

"Piers well done on the accuracy of the wind forecast - certainly was eveident here in South London in the early hours this morning"

Good grief, no wonder we get called Southern softies! Here is the daily archive information from this morning for a weather station in Wallington Surrey, close to the South London border:

post-6667-0-38002700-1326386570_thumb.jp

http://www.jpsc.co.uk/weather/

Max gust was 31.7 km/hr (19.7 mph) at 07.36. Possibly enough to fluff the blue-rinse of a very old and frail lady out with her zimmer frame.....

Posted

I can only hope that the commenter from South London is being ironic http://www.weatherac...e.asp?a=412&c=5

a lot of posts from a Craig M using Net Weather info-is he one of us? seems very supportive of the man.

I posted in his comments section that I was amused to see he used Met O shipping areas to show validation of his 10-13 January predictions. It said it had been received and would be posted-time will tell?

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Ah well we think 48 mph today dunno what others got in the peak district today but I would guess much higher than that.

Posted

These are the only news articles I can find this morning relating to yesterdays weather (the first is repeated in other publications with exactly the same wording, so I am treating it as one release):

Gusts reached up to 75mph as another winter storm buffeted Britain on Wednesday night, weather forecasters said. The top wind speed was recorded at Great Dun Fell, in Cumbria, and a gust of 67mph was measured at Emley Moor, West Yorkshire. Speeds of 50-60mph were recorded on lower ground, said Sally Webb, a forecaster with the Press Association's weather division MeteoGroup. But the stormy weather will be followed by calmer, cooler conditions, she said.

"It will be largely dry and cold with the chance of a frost in a lot of areas, especially in the east," the forecaster said. "Tomorrow will be largely dry, sunny with fog in places in the morning. The wind should drop off significantly." The strong winds blew over a lorry on the A1 near Alnwick, Northumberland, Northumbria Police said. The driver suffered minor injuries.

http://www.google.co...71326368505047A

A Bradford road was closed for more than five hours due to safety fears after strong winds blew a large panel off a building. Staff from ICS Cash and Carry in Neville Road, East Bowling, turned up to work yesterday morning to discover a corrugated metal panel had been ripped off the building as strong gusts battered the area.

Police put up roadblocks on both carriageways between the 650 Wakefield Road and Lower Lane after the panel crashed into the road at about 6am. Faruk Pandoor, operations manager at ICS, said: “It was very windy and one of the panels came off and it fell into the main road. “The insulation inside started coming out and was going all over the road so, as soon as our staff got here, they phoned the police and they closed the road.â€

http://www.thetelegr...s_safety_alert/

It looks to be a quiet day today, but here are a couple of current wind indicators for the record:

post-6667-0-70892100-1326441014_thumb.jp

post-6667-0-82845200-1326441016_thumb.jp

Posted

It would mean that independent forecasters wanting to issue a severe weather warning would first need to get written permission from the state-run South African Weather Service

taken from the quote above.

I can just imagine that happening here-dreadful thought and me an ex Met man

and re the post from Coast

no mention made of that 81mph so I think someone was misquoted or over zealous, Emley Moor is the one quoted and seems much more realistic.

so not the top values that our reverred nutty professor was suggesting by any means. But it will count as a hit to him of that we can be sure. Must look on the web page and see if my comment about adjacent sea areas has been allowed.

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

I'm guessing Piers will not be moving to South Africa any time soon ....

The bill, officials say, is aimed at "protecting the general public against the distribution of inaccurate or hoax warnings or weather predictions that could cause public panic and lead to evacuations and/or the unwarranted waste of resources – money, people and technology".

Blimey, that would stop a lot of the spin and bigging up!!!

Posted

I should have known it would not get printed so I sent this just a minute ago

may I ask what happened to my comment sent 12 January regarding the use of Met O shipping areas as a means of veryifying your wintry weather prediction please?

John Holmes

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

It's far from stormy down here, today...Another act of self-immolation among the WA's acolytes?

Posted

Aside from forcing the uk to adopt the new South African approach, there comes a time to realise that no matter how much science, facts and evidence go against the proclamations of certain individuals/organisations, they will always have supporters, and never admit to any self doubt.

History is littered with them, and the louder the cry that some huge organisation (be it government, big pharma, oil companies or any imagined evil group with 'paid for shills who speak on their behalf') then the less likely it is that evidence will change their minds.

Take the recent solar sausage (not you Pete), it forced a new forecast, was probably convenient in its timing yet was used by the followers to announce that it was proof that using the sun to make forecasts was the only truth...

the time to retire this thread and all talk of sausages to the archive and never to speak of it again is fast approaching.

Posted

It can be bloody dangerous, if you ask me, IanM. These charlatans deserve the ridicule they get. I have zero sympathy with them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iben_Browning

http://www.nytimes.c...and-quakes.html

Edited by Boar Wrinklestorm

Posted

ah but Boar, you have to consider whether anyone of significance listens to them, or makes decisions affecting public safety based on their advice.

Ridicule is earned, I'm not sure there is enough real world interest to deserve the amount of forum space these sorts of threads always attract. Out in the real world both the stories quoting PC received a grand total of 3 comments, and Piers made one of the them, the other two in the Sun pretty much ignored the warnings and made jokes. compare that to the usual torrent of comments on weather related stories in the uk press...

Posted

I disagree. I am forever asked to comment on the ridiculous newspaper stories of an armageddon winter. I used to careful pick my way through them. These days? My replies normally start with the word 'Boll' and swiftly end with word 'ocks'!

Posted

A very quiet day wind wise over the whole UK, but I'll give it until late afternoon to sum how I think the forecast and statements from WA were in comparison to the actual.

post-6667-0-38796900-1326456259_thumb.jp

Posted

Do you lot realise you've made over 600 comments about this man?

Is it really worth all of the effort just to try to discredit one man?

It's like a pack over wild dogs, it really is very disturbing to see all of the vindictive comments on here.

If he's going to hang himself, let him use his own rope, there's no need for all of this.

Posted

Do you lot realise you've made over 600 comments about this man?

Is it really worth all of the effort just to try to discredit one man?

It's like a pack over wild dogs, it really is very disturbing to see all of the vindictive comments on here.

If he's going to hang himself, let him use his own rope, there's no need for all of this.

Excuse me! I am trying to carry out comparative analysis on a forecast issued for the three days ending today. It may not be completely scientific but it is the best way I can find to prove or disprove this specific set of events.

Have you not read how Piers slates the Met Office and other commercial organisations on a regular basis, without ever explaining his methods, but his happy to condemn scientific research and the use of modern technology in weather forecasting?

Kettle and pot me thinks..... <_<

Posted

I still think you're going on too much about him, it doesn't hurt you in the least to leave him alone and let him get on with things.

If you still concerned or whatever, then go and complain to trading standards.

I simply can't understand why everyone feeld the need to jump on to this particular bandwagon.

If Piers does slate other organisations, then it's up to them to deal with any slander, have any of you comfronted him in person, or in writing and if so what is his respose?

I'm sorry if you find my point of view 'odd' but I cannot stand any form of bullying and this does seem to be rather a vindictive netweather campaign aimed at his demise in the weather industy.

Just let the customers decide what they want to do and the relative authorities deal with any issues.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

I still think you're going on too much about him, it doesn't hurt you in the least to leave him alone and let him get on with things.

If you still concerned or whatever, then go and complain to trading standards.

I simply can't understand why everyone feeld the need to jump on to this particular bandwagon.

If Piers does slate other organisations, then it's up to them to deal with any slander, have any of you comfronted him in person, or in writing and if so what is his respose?

I'm sorry if you find my point of view 'odd' but I cannot stand any form of bullying and this does seem to be rather a vindictive netweather campaign aimed at his demise in the weather industy.

Just let the customers decide what they want to do and the relative authorities deal with any issues.

Yes and he ignores them.

CH, the guy is after publicity, the fact the we are chatting about him has probably put a smile on his face.

The term free speech comes to mind. He says what he wants (which includes ridiculing a large number of forecasting agencies, even netweather) and we say what we want in return.

As Coast has already said, this thread is examining his methods and trying to ascertain how accurate he is.

Edited by Radiating Dendrite

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

IMO, these things demand scepticism: whoever makes extraordinay claims should be expected to provide equally extraordinary evidence. And endlessly slagging off the MetO is not evidence!

Posted

Yes and he ignores them.

CH, the guy is after publicity, the fact the we are chatting about him has probably put a smile on his face.

The term free speech comes to mind. He says what he wants (which includes ridiculing a large number of forecasting agencies, even netweather) and we say what we want in return.

As Coast has already said, this thread is examining his methods and trying to ascertain how accurate he is.

Fair enough, but there does seem to be alot more in the way of ridicule and less in the way of substance, it's that which upsets me somewhat, there should always be two side to everything otherwise things can get out of control.

IMO, these things demand scepticism: whoever makes extraordinay claims should be expected to provide equally extraordinary evidence. And endlessly slagging off the MetO is not evidence!

But endlessly slagging off Corbyn doesn't redress the balance.