Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Is Microwave Cooking Bad For You?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy **** what a ride!"

Anon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

The documentary about the potential ill effects from coca-cola were real eye openers for me.

In 1974 our teacher told us to put 2p or 1p coins in glasses of coke and see what happens to them over night .

In the morning the coke cleaned them like vinger etc.

Teacher said imagine what that coke does to your stomach

Thats why I still drink coke today.

Edited by stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I mostly live in take outs nowadays, I find myself having no time to cook a proper meal!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

I think this stuff, dihydrogen monoxide, poses a much bigger health risk than microwaves. Spread the word!

Ban Dihydrogen Monoxide

• Author:
    n/a
  • Send To:
    Major governments all around the world.

• Sponsored By:
  • More Info at:

Are you the Author?

This petition is for the complete ban of Dihydrogen monoxide.

Dihydrogen monoxide is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and kills uncounted thousands of people every year. Most of these deaths are caused by accidental inhalation of DHMO, but the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide do not end there. Prolonged exposure to its solid form causes severe tissue damage. Symptoms of DHMO ingestion can include excessive sweating and urination, and possibly a bloated feeling, nausea, vomiting and body electrolyte imbalance. For those who have become dependent, DHMO withdrawal means certain death.

Dihydrogen monoxide:

- is the major component of acid rain

- contributes to the "greenhouse effect"

- it can cause severe burns in its gaseous state

- contributes to erosion

- accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals

- may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes

- has been found in tumors of terminal cancer patients

Despite the dangers, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:

- as an industrial solvent and coolant.

- in nuclear power plants.

- in the production of styrofoam.

- as a fire retardant.

- in many forms of cruel animal research.

- as an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other food products.

Companies dump waste DHMO into rivers and the ocean, and nothing can be done to stop them because this practice is still legal.

The American government has refused to ban the production, distribution, or use of this damaging chemical due to its "importance to the economic health of this nation." In fact, the navy and other military organizations are conducting experiments with DHMO, and designing multi-billion dollar devices to control and utilize it during warfare situations. Hundreds of military research facilities receive tons of it through a highly sophisticated underground distribution network. Many store large quantities for later use.

http://www.petitiono...o/petition.html

Posted

Well they 'they being health studies, government, etc' say many times that having too much coffee, tea, sugar, salt, everything else is bad for you. If there was a genuine threat to personal safety such as E-Coli poisoning, Salmonella outbreak and the like then I can understand their need for people to side-swipe a certain brand/type of food for however long it takes for it to settle down.

But I understand what i'm eating and enjoy it, if noone enjoyed eating then we'd all suffer from starvation. What I don't appreciate though is these corporate types behind closed doors discussing what foods people should/shouldn't be eating because it suits a 'movement' or publicity campaign for the party. Intervention by the state is one step away from communism, and in a modern world people have a right to chose what they eat and how much.

God, I'll be gone by the morning then - goodbye cruel world!!! :drunk:

At least you'll go out on a high lol. Being sober and scared to touch a drop, or eat a crisp incase it's too salty must be a living hell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

I think this stuff, dihydrogen monoxide, poses a much bigger health risk than microwaves. Spread the word!

http://www.petitiono...o/petition.html

LOL!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

The documentary about the potential ill effects from coca-cola were real eye openers for me.

i prefer pepsi so im going to be ok 8)

Posted

computer monitors give off dangerous microwaves - try looking at the model output discussion for an hour - your brain will be fried!

Posted

The bigger question is, why would anyone WANT to cook with a microwave?

With the possible exception of scrambled egg, microwaved food tastes terrible!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Defrost stuff and rewarm last nights dinner in it for lunch - that's all I use 'em for.

Microwaving plastic lunchboxes with your food in is apparently bad but its just easier so...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

I live by my microwave. It even has a grill which is handy for making Toast and grilling things like Burgers and Bacon. I can't cook so I usually live on £1 Ready Meals from Iceland.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I live by my microwave. It even has a grill which is handy for making Toast and grilling things like Burgers and Bacon. I can't cook so I usually live on £1 Ready Meals from Iceland.

I actually watched a documentary about microwave ready meals. In order to lower the fat content and keep the food 'gelled' together they add in an 'E number' (345 i think). The interesting thing about this particular one is that it is the primary ingredient in water soluble wallpaper paste.

This was proven when they got a scientist to get some of the stuff on its own and stuck a piece of paper on a wall.

Go for beans on toast, it is far better than the wallpaper paste you eat now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

The bigger question is, why would anyone WANT to cook with a microwave?

Speed, easy, quick useful,cheaper,faster,handy,better, etc etc

Why would anyone want to put a 2 min micro wave burger in a oven for 20 mins ??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I'm a student, my microwave is my God!

Posted

Microwaves work by vibritaing the food to heat it up so anything bad that was in the food to begin with will not be removed or killed the same way as if it was done over a flame, so the microwave itself is not bad for you.

It will destroy your food however much less obviously than flame if left in too long.

Posted

You are what you eat. The way it is cooked is another matter, but I refuse to eat anything out of a microwave. We cook the old-fashioned way, and very importantly, all our potates and vegetables are steamed, not boiled. Immersion in water or enclosure in a microwave oven is the sure route to ruining good vegetables.

I did hear of a cook who died some years ago. He was employed in a small restaurant, and he gradually became very ill. Before long he died, and the post-mortem found that the man's hands and forearms were partly cooked. Investigations revealed that the microwave oven he used was faulty, and didn't always shut down when the door was opened.

Posted

It ran with the door open?

Not good though you think they would notice something like that. As far as cooking from scratch goes microwaves were never designed for that anyway so anyone who tries it is going to be disappointed big time as microwaves are only designed for warming.

You should never use one to boil liquids either because it can explode as this video demonstrates:

Posted

Teacher said imagine what that coke does to your stomach

What your stomach full of acid? Try putting a 2p coin in the contents of your stomach overnight and see how clean it gets!!

Posted

While the bloating/gas from fizzy drinks is annoying i was actually much more concerned about the links to kidney diseases and osteoporosis in later life. In addition to that, there have been links to brain cancer from the sweetener in diet coke.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

I'm in the minority of not actually owning a microwave. Though there isn't any room to put one of them in our kitchen anyway.

As i tend to cook from scratch using fresh ingredients, I don't feel the need for a microwave, apart from those occasions when left overs could be warmed up more quickly and conveniently.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

I haven't got one either, the only ready meal we eat is the occasional pizza, everything else is cooked from scratch.

Posted

You are what you eat. The way it is cooked is another matter, but I refuse to eat anything out of a microwave. We cook the old-fashioned way, and very importantly, all our potates and vegetables are steamed, not boiled. Immersion in water or enclosure in a microwave oven is the sure route to ruining good vegetables.

I did hear of a cook who died some years ago. He was employed in a small restaurant, and he gradually became very ill. Before long he died, and the post-mortem found that the man's hands and forearms were partly cooked. Investigations revealed that the microwave oven he used was faulty, and didn't always shut down when the door was opened.

No microwave should be able to run if the door is open. It's also really important to keep the door and the casing of the microwave clean as they form a quarter dipole trap that actually prevent microwaves leaking from the running machine (even though there's a physical gap between the door and frame.

Other than that, as a cooking method, it produces mushy tasteless food, but it's ok for defrosting before cooking things properly :-)