Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland - Cold Spell Discussion

Cookie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I bet that lot gets stuck behind the Ochils and splits! Hope I'm wrong.

Looks like it's too far south for the Ochils already - its northern edge is around Stirling. The next band looks better for Fife, but the Ochils could prove to be an issue for south and west Fife if the flow isn't exactly due west.

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

I'm now in Bearsden. How's deep is snow where you are as it's just coming up to a cm here.

Maybe 1-2cm that has fallen in the last hour. Probably moderate snow as not quite as heavy as half and hour ago.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

What on earth do you keep under there? Sounds like quite a selection. I'm not much of a wine drinker - got anything else?

Bruichladdich, Ardbeg... wheat beers? some of the wine is cracking stuff tho - fizzy medium dry from eastern France that you can't tell from champagne - to be opened when you can't open the front door against a snowdrift.

Posted

Prediction:

Argyll - 10-15cm

Inverclyde - 3-7cm

Dunbartonshire - 2-6cm

Ayrshire - 2-5cm

Renfrewshire - 1-5cm

Lanarkshire - 1-5cm

Falkirk - 1-5cm

Stirling - 1-3cm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Temp ever so slightly up from -0.5 to -0.2 Dew point up as well to -0.9. Still quite confident for something overnight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Southern Glasgow looks like the best central belt spot for prolonged snow in the next half an hour. Meanwhile it looks almost like an Antrim-Ayrshire streamer on the radar at the moment!

Posted

Temp ever so slightly up from -0.5 to -0.2 Dew point up as well to -0.9. Still quite confident for something overnight.

Probably a good sign - it's not going to be marginal at all for either of us so a temperature rise just indicates that there's a bit of cloud cover around.

Posted

Bruichladdich, Ardbeg... wheat beers? some of the wine is cracking stuff tho - fizzy medium dry from eastern France that you can't tell from champagne - to be opened when you can't open the front door against a snowdrift.

Spirit person myself HC......White, meth. :lol: I must confess (sshhh) I don't like champagne! If I have to take wine it's usually a Pinot Grigio? which is pretty light. Boring old fart really!

It's snowing really heavy again

Have you eaten or been to the loo today? You are obviously enjoying every minute of this. Can't wait for your reaction if there is a national snow emergency! :smilz38:

Posted

Looks like it's too far south for the Ochils already - its northern edge is around Stirling. The next band looks better for Fife, but the Ochils could prove to be an issue for south and west Fife if the flow isn't exactly due west.

Yes LS. Was too far south. Looks like it may hit south of Edinburgh later?

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Woo hoo! Thick snow here!

Well I'm maybe overdoing that. An inch or something. Nice though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Yes LS. Was too far south. Looks like it may hit south of Edinburgh later?

http://www.metoffice...ather/uk/radar/

Yup that big blob had Glasgows name on it Blitzen and is delivering. Looks like its sliding to the Borders ? (Peebles, Kelso, Gala, Hawick, Selkirk etc). Maybe a glancing blow on Penicuik, but only just if the direction of travel stays as it is...

Edited by by-tor

Posted

Snowing fairly heavily here now too. A few centimetres have accumulated quickly - spent the last half an hour uploading photos and got a surprise when I looked out of the window.

First lying snow here in these low-lying parts since 9 January 2011.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Ok, will save the St Veran for Blitzen and keep the speed hidden when AWT calls.

Looks like I may disappear under a red blob soon according to the radar precipitype. NMM has changed its mind and now has the main band to my north in a few hours. More excitement!

Posted

I spent most of the afternoon and evening in Broughty Ferry where it was cold but dry. Recently back home and pleased to see that last nights dusting has been topped up with another covering! Not sure when it fell. Temp at -1.4C.

Posted

Ok, will save the St Veran for Blitzen and keep the speed hidden when AWT calls.

I think he must have finally passed out! He hasn't been on for half an hour. :rofl:

Posted

Yup that big blob had Glasgows name on it Blitzen and is delivering. Looks like its sliding to the Borders ? (Peebles, Kelso, Gala, Hawick, Selkirk etc). Maybe a glancing blow on Penicuik, but only just if the direction of travel stays as it is...

Hi By-Tor how's you? Strange year really weatherwise. Cloudy, cool summer, warmish autumn, and I don't know what the heck winter will be like as signals appear to be unusual! It's what keeps us all on here I suppose! Let's hope it's a good one!

Posted

A rapid transformation to a white world here! Big fat fluffy flakes still chucking it down. A surprise awaits for a few folk in the morning! Looking forward to the commute already...

Have posted a few snowy highland photos from today here to whet the appetite (although many of us lowlanders are getting our own now!):

Posted

Stopped here now but there's 1-2cm of snow on the ground, the cars, grass and roads are white aswell the roofs. What else could you ask for. Certainly so far this is the best snowfall since January 2011 and the best cold snap since then too. Also that's a 4th consecutive winter with a decent snowfall, a decent cold snap and decent accumilations. Better than the likes of 2006/2007 and 2007/2008 already!