Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Northern England - Cold Spell Discussion Part 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

just had heavy sleet here, left alot of the roads flooded. shame it didnt fall as snow

Posted

Moderate rainfall here now, not expecting to see any snow again until early Friday at the latest, behind tomorrows Cold Front moving through.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Heavy rain and strong winds.. was pretty crazy outside for a bit.. MetO forecasting thunder showers later this morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Severe gale 9 mean speeds on the Cumbrian coast, very gusty with heavy hail sowers passing through with thunder.

Worried about tomorrow folks, huge upgrade in wind speed over Northern England! Make sure you tell family & friends to stay safe.

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

sounds noisey outside this morning must be gusting 50- 60mph round here.

Yep Nmm says 45-55mph gusts for you for most the morning, then 40-50mph gusts later on before receding quickly this evening. 40-50mph here, could temporarily strengthen to 50-55mph at around midday... before quickly receding.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

Are we still on for snow? Winds are blowing a storm out there. Is these winds part of the same storm as tomorrow?

Posted

Had a max gust of 65.4mph this morning, I think we can easily add another 20 or so mph onto these figures for tomorrow looking at the charts.

00z runs had placed Northern England inline for some of the stronger winds with mean speeds of 60mph+

Edit: St Bees head 8am wind - Westerly 51mph gust 75mph!! Tomorrows storm is much much more potent!

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Storm force winds affecting Cumbria gusts over 75mph, no mention or warnings?! :help:

Posted

Heavy hail and sleet falling here, had thunder & lightening earlier.

Very severe atm.

Posted

I wonder why the met don't have a warning out

No warnings anywhere, big fail !! winds have been gusting 70-80mph, god help us tomorrow as the storm is much more intense than the current depression, we could get 90-100mph gusts on the coast!

I wouldn't be surprised to see or hear about damage from this mornings severe gales.

Edited by Liam J

Posted

No warnings anywhere, big fail !! winds have been gusting 70-80mph, god help us tomorrow as the storm is much more intense than the current depression, we could get 90-100mph gusts on the coast!

And i have to drive to newcastle at around noon tomorrow.

Posted

And i have to drive to newcastle at around noon tomorrow.

As long as you don't have to drive back tomorrow evening you should be ok, 3pm onwards will get very windy, Meto predict gusts up to 85mph by 6pm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

A max' gust of 54 mph early this morning and it's currently gusting to 40-43 mph. More than half the snow has thawed here overnight but there's still a good cover above 400m and that should just about last until tomorrow morning when the really mild air arrives for about 18 hours.

The recent snowfalls have taken the accumulated total for the year here to 18.8cm which ensures that 2011 won't be the least snowy year on record in that respect as 1992, 1997 and 2002 all recorded less.

December still needs another 3 mornings with lying snow and 4 days with sleet or snow falling to prevent 2011 recording the lowest ever totals for those particular parameters.

Posted

Thats the time i will be driving back liam :help:

I don't think so mate, change your plans! GFS 6z has just pushed the very strongest winds over NW England! 80-90mph gusts maybe 100mph on the coast, 70-80mph inland!!

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Extremely windy here and it certainly feels bitterly cold out there. Must be gusting up to 50-60mph easily. Temp 6c, dewpoint 0.4c.

Could have sworn I heard thunder in the early hours also.