Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Northern England - Cold Spell Discussion Part 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Just out of interest what makes you think so?

Not sure I share the same confidence looking at the updated snow forecast based on the latest 12z run or shouldn't I be looking too much into that?.

It's best to average runs out rather than looking at one specific run. There won't be a shortage of showers and we will have the right conditions in place. We will see some snow, don't worry.

Is that chart from Netweather extra or can you get it on the Met office website?

Dunno, I nicked it from one of MattHugo's twitter posts. :lol:

Edited by Backtrack

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

It's best to average runs out rather than looking at one specific run. There won't be a shortage of showers and we will have the right conditions in place. We will see some snow, don't worry.

Dunno, I nicked it from one of MarkHugo's twitter posts. :lol:

Lol he changed his name recently BT?

Posted

Can I ask what experiment took place to confirm this. You are close to the coast so I can't understand how you cannot be affected by the Irish sea's temperature modifications

Last December, January & February including the past few days I've been monitoring the temperatures for Liverpool (right on the Irish Sea) and Manchester(25-30 miles inland) needless to say, Liverpool's temperatures are WAY higher than mine daily, and once a Westerly flow came in, there were times when my location was up to 3 degrees colder. Similar to the climate of Manchester.

Lol he changed his name recently BT?

:rofl:

Quiet and eat your tea! :D

Posted

Quiet and eat your tea! :D

Oooooh low blow sir, low blow. I'm actually gutted that I could be so absent minded as to forget to put my tea in :p

Posted

Oooooh low blow sir, low blow. I'm actually gutted that I could be so absent minded as to forget to put my tea in :p

I mixed Matt and Mark up, and you forgot to cook your tea. I'd say we're even. :winky:

Posted

The charts posted by BT and Mr Data suggest it is still very much game on. I suggested before this will be similar to the Christmas Day snow we had a number of years ago and I still stand by that. If the temps are cold enough the wind is in a great direction for us in the NW to get some snow. If it doesnt then we move on, we are still only in the first full week of the winter after all.

Regardless of all that there is the potential for some seriously damaging winds tomorrow for Scotland, and with that there is always the accompanying danger to life. Consider the snow by all means, but spare a thought for all the people who will be affected by tomorrow's potential storm.

Posted

I mixed Matt and Mark up, and you forgot to cook your tea. I'd say we're even. :winky:

Haha to be honest I think my blunder rather trumps yours.

Posted

The charts posted by BT and Mr Data suggest it is still very much game on. I suggested before this will be similar to the Christmas Day snow we had a number of years ago and I still stand by that. If the temps are cold enough the wind is in a great direction for us in the NW to get some snow. If it doesnt then we move on, we are still only in the first full week of the winter after all.

Regardless of all that there is the potential for some seriously damaging winds tomorrow for Scotland, and with that there is always the accompanying danger to life. Consider the snow by all means, but spare a thought for all the people who will be affected by tomorrow's potential storm.

-7C to -8C uppers are more than enough. People are just being optimistic. We do live in the UK after all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Last December, January & February including the past few days I've been monitoring the temperatures for Liverpool (right on the Irish Sea) and Manchester(25-30 miles inland) needless to say, Liverpool's temperatures are WAY higher than mine daily, and once a Westerly flow came in, there were times when my location was up to 3 degrees colder. Similar to the climate of Manchester.

Im sorry but that is utter tosh, how comes you always get rain and sleet in marginal situations whilst Manchester get snow?

Posted

Haha to be honest I think my blunder rather trumps yours.

I see, you're a man that admits when he is defeated.

Backtrack: 1

Crewecold: 0

:D

Posted

Lets be frank about it all, if you live in Preston/Liverpool/Manchester/Warrington or what ever fair low laying areas there are in the north-west you will always struggle to get snow, even up on the higher hills struggle.....everyone knows if you live in lancashire you struggle unless your around the higher pennine parts.

Cumbria always fairs better but again low laying areas struggle, The amount of times i've been to Preston or Manchester and looked at the snowy hills of the pennines when it's just cold and miserable lower down is unbelievable.

In the last few years up in the pennines we have had up to a foot of snow when Manchester etc. have had nothing.

Posted

Im sorry but that is utter tosh, how comes you always get rain and sleet in marginal situations whilst Manchester get snow?

What? I've recorded sleet one time last year.

I'm always moaning Manchester gets greater snow amounts, they do. But we get the same type of weather...

Posted

I see, you're a man that admits when he is defeated.

Backtrack: 1

Crewecold: 0

:D

Don't worry, graciousness comes with age

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Northern England and Southern Scotland look like getting the worst of it

Posted

the Christmas Tree has more guy ropes than Burnhope Mast, built for the weather!

The Catchgate christmas tree is looking good. :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe gales, heavy rain and alpine climates

The Catchgate christmas tree is looking good. :good:

c'mon c'mon, we all know Durham CC cant afford to light up the Christmas trees.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

According to Wunderground, Widnes (1 mile from Runcorn) was quite mild at 6.7°C on Monday, yet Manchester was just 4°C. This difference seems typical for last winter too. I refuse to believe the temperature was more than 0.5°C lower in Runcorn than in Widnes as they are so close.

Posted

Lets be frank about it all, if you live in Preston/Liverpool/Manchester/Warrington or what ever fair low laying areas there are in the north-west you will always struggle to get snow, even up on the higher hills struggle.....everyone knows if you live in lancashire you struggle unless your around the higher pennine parts.

Cumbria always fairs better but again low laying areas struggle, The amount of times i've been to Preston or Manchester and looked at the snowy hills of the pennines when it's just cold and miserable lower down is unbelievable.

In the last few years up in the pennines we have had up to a foot of snow when Manchester etc. have had nothing.

Yes that's just about right. I am starting to think people are thinking that the last two winters are the norm. They were both unusual for the amount of snow and low temps this is not normally the case, certainly for my location and for much more of the NW.

Edited by Snow free zone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe gales, heavy rain and alpine climates

And in nearby Sacriston... http://www.metro.co....-christmas-tree

c'mon c'mon, we all know Durham CC cant afford to light up the Christmas trees.....

pic of Shotley's tree from last year to remind us what we are all missing....

156185_464384511234_546676234_5970215_4818718_n.jpg

anyway....back onto the here and now....is it snowing yet?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm & partly cloudy.

Had hail in manchester around 3.15 today briefly, but intense.

Posted

According to Wunderground, Widnes (1 mile from Runcorn) was quite mild at 6.7°C on Monday, yet Manchester was just 4°C. This difference seems typical for last winter too. I refuse to believe the temperature was more than 0.5°C lower in Runcorn than in Widnes as they are so close.

Industrial town, right on the Mersey. We had a 4.2C max on Monday. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Industrial town, right on the Mersey. We had a 4.2C max on Monday. :)

Even Northwich, 8 miles further inland from the Mersey than Runcorn, had a max of 7.1°C on Monday, and a minimum of 2.7°C!! Surely Runcorn can't be several degrees colder than everywhere in the region? Also, even if the industry in Widnes created a heat island effect, this would also affect Runcorn as they are so close.

EDIT: Your own weather station was reporting 7.9°C on Monday! That's really warm, especially compared with Manchester! And on Nov 29th 2010 it was reporting a max of 5.4°C, whilst Manchester only briefly hit 3°C and they had some snow, so this doesn't appear to be a one off.

Edited by alza

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Runcorn is an industrial town last time I checked..

Posted

Even Northwich, 8 miles further inland from the Mersey than Runcorn, had a max of 7.1°C on Monday, and a minimum of 2.7°C!! Surely Runcorn can't be several degrees colder than everywhere in the region? Also, even if the industry in Widnes created a heat island effect, this would also affect Runcorn as they are so close.

EDIT: Your own weather station was reporting 7.9°C on Monday! That's really warm, especially compared with Manchester!

Let me go through my records and check. Hang on.

EDIT: Your own weather station was reporting 7.9°C on Monday! That's really warm, especially compared with Manchester! And on Nov 29th 2010 it was reporting a max of 5.4°C, whilst Manchester only briefly hit 3°C and they had some snow, so this doesn't appear to be a one off.

My bad. 7.9C max on Monday, the 4.2C was on Sunday. Also please note that it was in the sun on Sunday. I have two weather stations. The one that reports to Wunderground is on the roof, I use that one for wind.

The one at Met Office height in the back is what I use for temperatures. :)