Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted

Like hail, I LOVE hail :D

I don't mind hail really myself, I find it pretty good to see at least some form white stuff falling the sky but it always leaves me thinking of what could be and what isn't only serves to frustrate me even more. To put simply unless it's snows I'll never be properly satisfied, anything else simply is not good enough in my book.

Still I've got to keep reminding myself "it's only early December".

Edited by Anonymous21

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

I don't mind hail really myself, I find it pretty good to see at least some form white stuff falling the sky but it always leaves me thinking of what could be and what isn't only serves to frustrate me even more.

Still I've got to keep reminding myself "it's only early December".

I suppose it can be quite annoying when the conditions are ripe for snow. But then again, it could be rain?

Looks like our snow won't be coming from the Irish Sea this winter, which is our life line. Could well be a snowless winter.

Edited by Backtrack

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I suppose it can be quite annoying when the conditions are ripe for snow. But then again, it could be rain?

Looks like our snow won't be coming from the Irish Sea this winter, which is our life line. Could well be a snowless winter.

no, you will see snow next weekend, WNW wind again due,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

which will be of rain sleet and hail

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm & partly cloudy.

Any news on snow at Edale? I want go tomorrow, but only if they've had a good couple of inches at least.

Posted

Well if you decide to or simply have no choice but to stay in boring, boring Runcorn for the entire duration then yes that is a distinct possibility.

I certainly don't see myself doing that if the worst comes to worst though, I have other alternatives. :winky:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

winter has been very late to arrive in Europe this year so its not wise to write off that certain scenario just yet. once cold is established it won't be any different to a few years back on Christmas day when the nw streamer blitzed a fair few folk. keep the faith

Posted

Well if you decide to or simply have no choice but to stay in boring, boring Runcorn for the entire duration then yes that is a distinct possibility.

I certainly don't see myself doing that if the worst comes to worst though, I have other alternatives. :winky:

Going Snowdon next weekend. Might finally see some snow. :)

winter has been very late to arrive in Europe this year so its not wise to write off that certain scenario just yet. once cold is established it won't be any different to a few years back on Christmas day when the nw streamer blitzed a fair few folk. keep the faith

Yep, but unless we can fall below average for a fair amount of time, the Irish Sea isn't going to be playing ball - will simply be too warm.

We need uppers of at least -8C for snow here, and that's been clearly evident today. And it's rare Cheshire gets uppers that low.

WNW is good for precip, bad for locations West of Manchester. Too much temperature modification.

Posted

Going Snowdon next weekend. Might finally see some snow. :)

Yep, but unless we can fall below average for a fair amount of time, the Irish Sea isn't going to be playing ball - will simply be too warm.

We need uppers of at least -8C for snow here, and that's been clearly evident today. And it's rare Cheshire gets uppers that low.

WNW is good for precip, bad for locations West of Manchester. Too much temperature modification.

yeah the uppers have been fine to some degree but ground level temp in fairness just isn't really all that cold. and where i am on the foothills of the pennines the Irish sea doesn't have a great say in temps. the cold all around Europe etc just hasn't been established so its not digging in deep. give it time, and just think these colder days will have cooled the Irish sea that little bit more :)

Posted

yeah the uppers have been fine to some degree but ground level temp in fairness just isn't really all that cold. and where i am on the foothills of the pennines the Irish sea doesn't have a great say in temps. the cold all around Europe etc just hasn't been established so its not digging in deep. give it time, and just think these colder days will have cooled the Irish sea that little bit more :)

Yeah I've noticed you're 3 times higher than me. Being in Manchester the Irish Sea won't be having as much as an influence on you as it does to me.

Uppers have been around the -6C mark today, so have you seen any snow at all? Or mainly hail & sleet?

Hopefully once the cold does get established, we will see a below average January. Hoping for some great battleground situations this Winter too. Not had a good one of them for a while!

Posted

Yeah I've noticed you're 3 times higher than me. Being in Manchester the Irish Sea won't be having as much as an influence on you as it does to me.

Uppers have been around the -6C mark today, so have you seen any snow at all? Or mainly hail & sleet?

Hopefully once the cold does get established, we will see a below average January. Hoping for some great battleground situations this Winter too. Not had a good one of them for a while!

yeah been a while eh. well in my area we had wet snow on Sunday evening, then pretty much been hail and thunderstorms waking me up. not had any good old snow showers, just been rain, or sleet with hail or just hail. i think the warm see has just created the extra convection to get the high cloud tops to all the hail. early days tho

Posted

yeah been a while eh. well in my area we had wet snow on Sunday evening, then pretty much been hail and thunderstorms waking me up. not had any good old snow showers, just been rain, or sleet with hail or just hail. i think the warm see has just created the extra convection to get the high cloud tops to all the hail. early days tho

Hmm very strange, what have you had today then?

And yep, a lot of energy in the Irish Sea at the minute. It needs to take a chill pill man. :lol:

Posted

Hmm very strange, what have you had today then?

And yep, a lot of energy in the Irish Sea at the minute. It needs to take a chill pill man. :lol:

hail from morning to mid afternoon. few snow flakes and rain mixed in but not one snow shower. just too much energy going on

Posted

hail from morning to mid afternoon. few snow flakes and rain mixed in but not one snow shower. just too much energy going on

Same here then. Was briefly some flakes mixed in with the later showers, but they were mostly of rain.

Never known the conditions to be like this though?

Heavy rain at a temperature touching 2C, uppers of -6C, sub 528 DAM. I know we didn't have the dew points, but I thought this would of lowered with the temperature due to evaporative cooling, but as a shower rolled in, the humidity rose blowing the chances of that out of the window.

Really isn't fair. :(

Actually, looks like we could have some snow in the early hours of the morning. Uppers are falling again, and should be closer to -7C soon. But again, the dew points are not low enough.

Gonna have to wait and see.

Edited by Backtrack

Posted

Same here then. Was briefly some flakes mixed in with the later showers, but they were mostly of rain.

Heavy rain at a temperature touching 2C, uppers of -6C, sub 528 DAM. I know we didn't have the dew points, but I thought this would of lowered with the temperature due to evaporative cooling, but as a shower rolled in, the humidity rose blowing the chances of that out of the window.

yeah i know what you mean. no disrespect but i see you mentioning evaporative cooling on a regular basis but in reality it can be a rare phenomenon. there was a case a few years back where the conditions favoured rain but everybody got pasted with snow, and that was a rare one off. it really doesn't show its face as regular as you may think to be honest.

anyway bedtime. night all

Edited by swainclubber

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

On second thoughts with the wind dying down I think its a possibility air frost may show itself here, when the clouds disappear.

Posted

On second thoughts with the wind dying down I think its a possibility air frost may show itself here, when the clouds disappear.

I think that's a case of 'if' the clouds disappear. Looking like a slim chance with streamers still rolling in to the South of the region!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

Off to Edale and up Kinder tomorrow, looking forward to a nice wintry hike. If the mountain does not come to you, go to the mountain said a wise man...Otherwise you could always moan about the lack of snow, on the internet :diablo:

Posted

yeah i know what you mean. no disrespect but i see you mentioning evaporative cooling on a regular basis but in reality it can be a rare phenomenon. there was a case a few years back where the conditions favoured rain but everybody got pasted with snow, and that was a rare one off. it really doesn't show its face as regular as you may think to be honest.

anyway bedtime. night all

Odd, I seem to always get it!

Night mate. :)

Posted

Odd, I seem to always get it!

Night mate. :)

nite bud

Posted

A shower has just gone through which has filled in the gaps in the thin layer of white curently covering everything. Grauple I think, not noisy enough for hail!

Edited by shadowfax

Posted
  • Location: Settle in the Yorkshire Dales at 145m asl North Ribblesdale
  • Location: Settle in the Yorkshire Dales at 145m asl North Ribblesdale

Another light Snow shower overnight, looks like backtracks getting all the Snow at the moment.

Posted

Actually, looks like we could have some snow in the early hours of the morning. Uppers are falling again, and should be closer to -7C soon. But again, the dew points are not low enough.

Gonna have to wait and see.

Like I told you previously...the upper air not conducive enough to provide snow of any real quantifiable measurement...unless we get the upper air to -9C this area won't see anything but hail and rain.

The reason you wont see the snow is pretty simply really...-6C at low level particularly your asl and mine is simply not going to be enough...the dew point did not drop below 2C all night and I can tell you that runcorn's dp did not drop either..maximum upper air never got below -6.1C.

If your on higher ground, the conditions would have been perfect...the other point is, we have been stuck in a wnw with a westerly wind..so its blowing all the snow / rain and hail westwards.

However bare in mind the sea of Liverpool is now 9C, still a little warm, but once we hit January we could be seeing 6/7C quite easily around the liverpool coast...the estuary is 6.4C currently..so the estuary is not the problem, the problem is the direction this wind is coming from...the west not wnw..so everything is being modified before it even arrives here..hence the rain and the very light wet snow shower we had 425am which was proceeded by further light rain shower.

The forecast earlier was perfect in every sense of the word..because it did clear, we did have ocassional rain / snow shower...we'll have to see what happens this morning, because the temperature has dropped to 2.7C and the dew point has remained pretty much static...thing is today's forecast is calling for it to be 8C with a dew point of 7C later today...still feeling raw in the wind, with wind chill still making it feel like 0C or lower.