Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

It feels cold after that thunderstorm passed over before and just seen Meto have put out a warning for icy roads tonight

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

That's rather trite nonsense Stephen, accidents do happen, that's the very definition of the word and lot of people have to be out for work, essential trips, etc and you can apply all the commonsense you want, it won't prevent a tile or a tree branch falling on you. I have no desire, hidden or otherwise to see 100mph gusts at street level.

Having a desire and them happening anyway are two different things. The wish to not want to see them happen is all very irrelevant.

It seems common sense hasn't been used to read my post - what I said is common sense would be used where possible... read it again. Anyway common sense in this definition would mean things like dont take a walk by the coast, on a cliff - people actually do this strong winds - and I mean taking their dog for a walk, ive seen people do it - more than you'd think too. .I admit I do take walks in serious weather events, but that's because I know what the risks are, I can evaluate the risk and act on that evaluation - if I get caught out then that's an error that I have to accept... it's not going to stop me from enjoying it, or wanting it to stop though.

At the end of the day though, just because people might have an interest in weather, and want to see severe weather events as part of their interest does not mean they are wishing for injury, death and destruction this is a silly suggestion.

The causation and avoidance of accidents are two different things, but in most cases steps can be taken to avoid them - in some cases they cannot.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Intresting week for us weather nuts,wind,storms,rain,and snow in the next five days (snow above 200m)

Until next weekend when it looks like cold nw winds to set in bringing the first chance of low land snow for parts

of the region,all subject to much change but maybe just maybe???

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Backtrack might be right Fridays low has just disappeared off the ECM

ECM1-120.GIF?11-0

Don't put your house on that run verifying, it looks like a major outlier, and the least possible scenario.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

Stephen, part of me find the excitement for potentially lethal weather events ghoulish. It's not to say that an interest for those things denote a warped mind but sometimes I feel uneasy at some reactions. Just something that prays on my mind on occasion on here.

I do take risks too, I like scrambles up rocks without protection or camping in perishingly cold weather on the hills so I understand you argument about preparation and acceptance of the consequences. "Accidents don't happen, they are caused" still is tripe though, too many disagreable assumptions are contained within that short sentence.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Stephen, part of me find the excitement for potentially lethal weather events ghoulish. It's not to say that an interest for those things denote a warped mind but sometimes I feel uneasy at some reactions. Just something that prays on my mind on occasion on here.

I do take risks too, I like scrambles up rocks without protection or camping in perishingly cold weather on the hills so I understand you argument about preparation and acceptance of the consequences. "Accidents don't happen, they are caused" still is tripe though, too many disagreable assumptions are contained within that short sentence.

Its something I was told when dealing with rifles, basically people may get hurt/injured involving accidents with rifles, but if they do it's because they were being careless - that said I can see how natural phenomena are an entirely different ballgame.

Posted

The Thursday/Friday low hasn't disappeared from the ECM, it's just that the storm peaks between 96h and 120h.

Our region is still very much in the firing line. It's currently taking a track very similar to the 11th November 2010 storm, which was a real howler here.

Posted

Yes I recall that storm, I still have a video of it on youtube, for that storm, at least here, it was the sustained winds rather than the gusts that stood out.

The 18z almost removes the storm threat entirely from our region on Friday, with the centre of the low moving over our region and southern Scotland - the way in which the system moves would alleviate any strong winds too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm & partly cloudy.

I don't care about winds. I just want a good snow covering at high level and low level that's at least a few inches deep :). Hopefully we get this northerly attack!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Wonder if I could record an airfrost tonight?

Down to 4.2C with clear skies, falling rapidly.

Posted

it seems like its downgraded again for me friday the first time i checked on here for wind it said 95mph the 2nd time i looked said 74 now 3rd time i looked its got 48mph

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

Gfs cerifies for snow on tuesday night into wednesday morning. But the 850s wont even be at -5 so i cant see it myself.

But im sure backtrack will be On here saying that that doesnt matter and wi will get snow. ( get them socks ready)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/nw/nw_forecast_warnings.html :good:

Personally id rather have heavy snow than severe gales

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Interesting to see a snow watch above about 100m from the metoffice for tomorrow! Been so busy looking at the potential storm its come as a surprise! Uppers look marginal as ever, but in heavy showers who knows? Certainly an interesting period of weather this week :)

Posted

Wind is picking up here with quite strong gusts. 100% cloud cover.

Posted

Just been putting the xmas lights up outside, and I have to say its bitter out there. Wind starting to gust quite a bit too.

That snow warning for wednesday is a surprise too, I wasn't expecting that at all really, as the laast time I looked at the models it was showing rain with not much hope of anything wintry.

Posted

I dont think it will snow we dont even get the -5 uppers so how can it snow? We need backtrack on here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

I dont think it will snow we dont even get the -5 uppers so how can it snow? We need backtrack on here.

The word altitude springs to mind LOL

C.S