Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Oh Im used to Bad Luck... :lol:

On a side note, great to see the Midlands Thread being by far the busiest regional tonight. :D

Yep, no doubt we'll get a load of 'foreigners' poking their heads into our thread over the next 24+ hours, green with envy! :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

I don't want to get overly optimisitc, because I remember being bitterly dissapointed last year when some good events crashed right at the last minute for us midlanders - well at least for me.

But what do you think the chances are of this event coming off ? We're only about 36hours off now - I'd like to think there is a reasonable level of accuracy from now onwards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Yep, no doubt we'll get a load of 'foreigners' poking their heads into our thread over the next 24+ hours, green with envy! :lol:

Am I still technically a foreigner? :sorry::D

Posted

Guessing coventry will miss the fun again?? Lasy couple of winters we really have missed the snow big time!! Whats the chances of some snow in cov??

The news reporters are on the m69 waiting for it to arrive if the latest forecasts/outputs are to be believed. Carol Kirkwood might end up reporting from my backyard if it stays how its shown. Still the thing for people to remember, things that normally change over 72hours or so could easily change over the next 24 due to how susceptible to slight changes these sort of lows are

Posted
Posted · Hidden by A.J, December 14, 2011 - congrats...winner of the first pointless post of the midlands thread award :)
Hidden by A.J, December 14, 2011 - congrats...winner of the first pointless post of the midlands thread award :)

Guessing coventry will miss the fun again?? Lasy couple of winters we really have missed the snow big time!! Whats the chances of some snow in cov??

0%

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Am I still technically a foreigner? :sorry::D

not at all, cannock born & bred I believe.....Consider your sorties in the south england thread just an excursion :smiliz19:

Posted

Heheaybe I've done something wrong? But seriously enjoy it if it delivers 15cm maybe?

Ahh how unlucky Staffordshire!

NMM looking very tasty too. Pretty much PERFECT for this location. Just over 24 hrs to go but still time for change also however I hope it doesnt from an IMBY view. ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Envy with their green landscapes and our white one.

I really hope Im not pushing my luck with the weather gods with that comment now. Im sorry O Holy Weather lord. :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

North-west midlands (Shropshire, Staffordshire and W Midlands 'region): Precip begins around 4-6pm, as rain usually, but sleet above 150m and snow above 200-250m. Turns increasingly cooler with -3c/-4c uppers turning to -5c uppers by midnight, expect heavy snowfall, especially in the Birmingham-Coventry-Stafford area. Could turn into a potentially very strong snow event with sleet and rain at sea level, snow above 50-75m, perhaps 5-10cm or more falling on high ground, small accumulations on lower ground.

South-west midlands (Herefordshire, Worcestershire, Warwickshire): Precip reaches Herefordshire and Worcestershire around 4-6pm before moving to Warks. Primarily very heavy rain, sleet above 100m in this region but nearer 50m in Warwick northwards. As the low moves by (9-11pm), it turns much cooler and snow should begin to fall to around 50-100m, and lower at times... potentially VERY snowy in Warwickshire and Worcestershire, up to 10cm accumulating on high ground, 2-5cm on lower ground.

The NMM says 5-7pm for the precip reaching E Midlands, mostly rain but turning to sleet and pretty much all snow after 11pm in Leicestershire and Northamptonshire. The NMM does not cover after 36 hours so I can't say for sure, but Leicestershire and Northamptonshire look in the zone for snow during Fri morning. Friday continues to be snowy for most during the morning, especially the E midlands... but turns milder by the afternoon and most snow should melt (unless you are around 200-300m in which you could see further snow in the afternoon, possibly preserving it until Sunday or more!).

A triangle between Hereford, Stafford and Northampton in my opinion will be snowiest, with Birmingham, Leicester and Coventry most affected.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Be interesting to see if we get some more in-detail forecasts on midlands today/bbc weather this evening. I'd imagine there will be some sort of extra information about tommorow night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

you're not far from me then. At the moment I think we'll see sleet but still time for that to change.

Posted

I live 100m on a hill near Evesham, do you think I am too far south?

Sorry but 100m just isnt a hill. despite this, your in with a shout as things stand, no-one will really know until the reports start coming in

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Nice round up. Im 7 miles south of Stafford so im loving the fact ill be inside the 'triangle' of the heavyest snow. Id be very happy with a decent covering. But wouldnt a couple of inches, topped up by the cheshire gap streamer over the weekend be extra special just over a week before christmas.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

North-west midlands (Shropshire, Staffordshire and W Midlands 'region): Precip begins around 4-6pm, as rain usually, but sleet above 150m and snow above 200-250m. Turns increasingly cooler with -3c/-4c uppers turning to -5c uppers by midnight, expect heavy snowfall, especially in the Birmingham-Coventry-Stafford area. Could turn into a potentially very strong snow event with sleet and rain at sea level, snow above 50-75m, perhaps 5-10cm or more falling on high ground, small accumulations on lower ground.

South-west midlands (Herefordshire, Worcestershire, Warwickshire): Precip reaches Herefordshire and Worcestershire around 4-6pm before moving to Warks. Primarily very heavy rain, sleet above 100m in this region but nearer 50m in Warwick northwards. As the low moves by (9-11pm), it turns much cooler and snow should begin to fall to around 50-100m, and lower at times... potentially VERY snowy in Warwickshire and Worcestershire, up to 10cm accumulating on high ground, 2-5cm on lower ground.

The NMM says 5-7pm for the precip reaching E Midlands, mostly rain but turning to sleet and pretty much all snow after 11pm in Leicestershire and Northamptonshire. The NMM does not cover after 36 hours so I can't say for sure, but Leicestershire and Northamptonshire look in the zone for snow during Fri morning. Friday continues to be snowy for most during the morning, especially the E midlands... but turns milder by the afternoon and most snow should melt (unless you are around 200-300m in which you could see further snow in the afternoon, possibly preserving it until Sunday or more!).

A triangle between Hereford, Stafford and Northampton in my opinion will be snowiest, with Birmingham, Leicester and Coventry most affected.

What about South Cheshire IF, I'm a trifle unsure as to whether we'll see the precip. On a knife-edge for me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun and Snow

Sorry but 100m just isnt a hill. despite this, your in with a shout as things stand, no-one will really know until the reports start coming in

Alright well I call it a 'hill' no need to get so heated over a word.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

What about South Cheshire IF, I'm a trifle unsure as to whether we'll see the precip. On a knife-edge for me.

I'd say some light precip turning more moderate and at times heavy around midnight... probably cool enough so rain, sleet and then some snow.. marginal.

Posted

Alright well I call it a 'hill' no need to get so heated over a word.

lol sorry just winding you up i live on a mountain at 107m :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun and Snow

lol sorry just winding you up i live on a mountain at 107m :)

No probs... Haha well that's epic stuff. I suppose elevation will help in this event.

Posted

No one has mentioned the end of the gfs run looks promising for further down the line if things were to pan out that way. Much better at least than the mild south westerlys its been showing recently.

Posted

Met office you tube channel puts the heaviest snow line Northern most point, from North wales-Lincolnshire/Humberside from the early hours of Friday.Just summat to throw in the mix!