Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland - Regional Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Wet his head properly Cheggers... mebbe make sure Mrs C is still in one piece too - what a monster!

Calm here now (especially after a 4 hour power cut) and no sign of any ppn at all.

Edited by Hairy Celt

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

Just in. Cracking driving through all the blizzard action tonight, the Slochd was really tasty, not a great deal to show for it back here mind, most of the snowcover is from what we got earlier in the week. Nice and calm 2.4C. Bawbag has left the building

Must also add my congrats Cheggers and all the best. What a memorable day for the him to arrive!

Edited by Northern Strath

Posted

Like the picture SS, very fitting.

We have an arrival, wee boy in at 9lb2. Thanks for all the best wishes.

Congrats to you both!!! - what a wee monster eh.. so then you can't call him Gail now can you, so what about Bob :acute:..I'll get me coat..

All quiet on this part of the eastern front now too, nite all

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Congratulations, that's great news, and on hurricane bawbag day as well.

Looks like the northeasterly blizzards didn't exactly come off, at least not from the initial band. However, the typical NNWerly shower pattern should establish itself by early morning, with the trough over southern Scotland pivoting and the western edge coming back north to make for an interesting rush hour on the M74 and M77 tomorrow as it was on Monday. Inland eastern areas have a rare shot on Saturday morning, but once again I'd regard any snowfall for the southeastern part of the country at this stage to be a bonus - with the exception of straight arctic westerlies like in '84 or one off storms like '93 cold airmasses without high latitude blocking very rarely delivers (high latitude blocking snowfall of course includes most breakdown snowfall, because without any sustained blocking beforehand there's very rarely any cold left to 'breakdown' when milder airmasses come knocking on our door). Unfortunately, from what I can see, it doesn't look particularly brilliant for the PV splitting anytime soon, other than the odd glimmer, but if we do get a Sudden Stratospheric Warming it could have an impact within a week or two of occuring. The good news is that, in the medium term, it doesn't look like getting much milder http://hw.nwstatic.c...18/t850Fife.png So, generally, it looks like more of the same - cool, zonal and stormy http://hw.nwstatic.c...slpmean-120.png

Perhaps some wintry showers on Sunday evening after a brief milder spell http://nwstatic.co.uk/fax/PPVK89.png and then the potential for more disruptive gusts on Monday evening http://hw.nwstatic.c...8/99/ukwind.png

In summary, yet more Burnsian 'sleety dribble', which seems like rather appropriate weather both for the time of year and the economic situation the continent finds itself in.

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted

Fantastic news, please accept my very best wishes too........glad they are both well. :drinks:

Well done MrsCheggers, hope you are all well.

As for that "storm" yesterday, it's turned into a bit of a joke round here. A lot of non-weather watchers are asking serious questions about overreaction by the authorities. Let's put it this way, a week last Tuesday there was just a yellow weather warning (and no other warnings) and we had cars being washed down the roads, people rescued by helicopter off their car roof, properties flooded, whole villages and towns cut off by floods yet just over a week later the whole place is shut down for a couple of 71mph gusts of wind and a couple of wheelie bins being blown over. As a weather watcher I fully understand why the red warning came out but in most people's eyes this was a massive overreaction for weather we've seen four times this year now. It means the next time that the warnings may be ignored.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Congrats Mr. & Mrs. Cheggers! Things look pretty benign today compared to yesterday's happenings! Temp on the up here at 1.2c, dew point -1.4c, hardly any wind with pressure at 999mb. Certainly here in this part of the east I felt it didn't get as bad as predicted yesterday. The May storm of this year appeared worse! Still, model output for next week can't be described as boring. plenty to talk about!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

Just seen the news and how bad it got on parts of scotland. 165mph gusts. All the damage too. Hope the people who have damage recover quickly. Its xmas soon after all.

There is a few on here recently talking about a non event. I think the people who it did affect might not be able to post due to power cuts.

Edited by saintpeter

Posted

Morning all, calm cold and snowing here after a wild day. Temp currently 1.4C.

I would like(+) all posts that pass on best wishes, but seems there is a limit of aboot 3!! but thank you all. Missus and wee un doing great and should be home later this morning.

Edited by Cheggers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Congrats cheggers and family! A night to remember for sure!

Lovely and calm here the morn. Glad that's over. Fort SS survived the onslaught with no damage thankfully; shed where I left it yesterday!

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

congrats cheggers awe ra best :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

Congratulations cheggers and Mrs Cheggers. What tales you can tell your little son about the day he was born. Safe home and happy Christmas.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Almost the same birthday as mine - he should have waited another hour or so!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, storm force winds

Bit of a noisy night here last night! Top gust here in Gulberwick 81mph. Other top gusts in Shetland - Foula 98mph, Fair Isle 92mph, Lerwick 77mph, Baltasound 67mph. Some power cuts up here, ferries cancelled and schools closed. Reports of widespread power outages in Orkney, Radio Orkney is off the air due to transmitter damage and aparrently the top gust down there was 138mph!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Morning all, calm cold and snowing here after a wild day. Temp currently 1.4C.

I would like(+) all posts that pass on best wishes, but seems there is a limit of aboot 3!! but thank you all. Missus and wee un doing great and should be home later this morning.

Well done and congrats to you, Mrs Cheggers and, er, "wee Bob"... :-)

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Wondered how long it would be before the boss at my work said. what was all the stushie about people panic in this country. Just because I sent an email yesterday on police and governement advise not to travel between 2-6. Funny how some folk just ignore advice...the police have their work cut out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

So it was a stushie and a panic that resulted in No Deaths* and No Serious Injuries.

Presumably he'd prefer a downplayed warning, which the police ignore, everyone goes about their business and the school that lost its roof would be full of children, and the school-bus that went over would be full of children, and then who would he blame, I wonder... ?

The appropriate authorities sent out a warning, people followed advice, nobody died.

No warning in 1987 Great Storm and 18 people died...

There's a lesson in there somewhere....!

*death of woman in Fife seems to have been in the morning, not weather-related; five walkers in Cairngorms missing, but hopefully they are in a bothy safe and waiting it out.

Posted

So it was a stushie and a panic that resulted in No Deaths* and No Serious Injuries.

Presumably he'd prefer a downplayed warning, which the police ignore, everyone goes about their business and the school that lost its roof would be full of children, and the school-bus that went over would be full of children, and then who would he blame, I wonder... ?

The appropriate authorities sent out a warning, people followed advice, nobody died.

No warning in 1987 Great Storm and 18 people died...

There's a lesson in there somewhere....!

*death of woman in Fife seems to have been in the morning, not weather-related; five walkers in Cairngorms missing, but hopefully they are in a bothy safe and waiting it out.

Yeh my point exactly most offices shut at 2pm Edinburgh. Ours was open til 5pm. I had to get to Falkirk by car so left at 3.15pm got to make your own judgment calls sometimes after all it's just a job..Quite annoid with that attitude I know better than the Government and police..p.s I have to make the time back!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Congratulations to the Clan Cheggers . Amazing time of the year to have a new wee one. :smilz38:

Am I deciphering here a B'Day SS? If so Have a great day and a wee dram :drinks:

All very calm here today.

Questions being asked as to whether the warnings given were OTT or not. I think the recorded wind speed on the Tay Bridge at 102mph - sea level - is a positive affirmation and justifies the advice given.

Posted

Congrats to you and your family. You gonna call him gus?? And ofcourse it could have been gail if it was a wee girl. :p

Well done though :clap:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Well round 2 is on the fringes of realistic time scale now as far as the models go.

How quickly this system moves through could turn out to be the key question. Models suggesting a slower west > east transition this time meaning this Atlantic depression will stall or slow as it approaches the UK.

UKMO place the stalling low west of the UK.

post-7292-0-46020300-1323428108_thumb.gi

GFS parks it on Scotland and the Jet stream this time is more angled from SW-NE.

post-7292-0-55872700-1323427999_thumb.pn post-7292-0-56010600-1323428011_thumb.pn

ECM highlights the low moving further north of the country and limited marginal upper temps.

post-7292-0-32118100-1323428340_thumb.gi

The Tuesday Fax chart highlights that thankfully Isobars are not as tightly packed as yesterday.

post-7292-0-48678700-1323428061_thumb.gi

Dread to think what this one will get called... the Atlantic conveyor belt of lows just keeps on rolling at the moment..