Scotland - Regional Discussion

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Yeh starting to look interesting up there...can you blow some down here! :good:

Posted

Power is back on at home!

Posted

Hows Aberdeen looking later snow wise, meant to be on the train back to Embra at 4pm

I'll stick my neck out and say everything should be just fine.. Aberdeen and shire seems to be the only place not getting it from these NW'lys even if the showers do pep up a bit the likelyhood of it causing trouble down that route at that time I feel is slim to none Embra might have more likelyhood of catching something from them later.. we need a more N/Ne'ly flow which we had in abundance last year :)

Hawesey glad you're back!

GWW seems to be having most of the excitement this year!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

I'm slightly confused! From what I gather by looking at the charts, it seems that its still fairly likely to snow in the central belt overnight tonight (especially in the western half), yet the MetO took their snow warning off and replaced it with ice. I reckon there could be a couple of inches in places tonight but the MetO seem to be keeping pretty vague about it just now. A degree of uncertainty maybe??

I believe it will be updated later this afternoon to include western central tayside and fife and other central belt areas

Posted

I believe it will be updated later this afternoon to include western central tayside and fife and other central belt areas

Correct it is forecast...not sure where it is coming from though! However last night the BBC and Met office got the snow in the North East wrong...do you think they are guessing!

prectypeuktopo.png

Posted

that was this mornings chart...tonights not that great:

prectypeuktopo.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Very well spotted GWW! potential for Northern Isles / Highland and Moray if you're I'd imagine :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Correct it is forecast...not sure where it is coming from though! However last night the BBC and Met office got the snow in the North East wrong...do you think they are guessing!

prectypeuktopo.png

lol I would like to think not with all the billions of pounds worth of computers....I just think this cold zonality setup is proving incredibly hard to predict...I really cant see how IMBY I will get any more than a dusting....A north flow or North west flow pretty useless only the heaviest of showers making it through with little left by the time they arrive. But then again I have seen a lot of unusual weather the last 3 years so heres hoping...Unless there is a wind direction change I have not noticed on the charts

Edited by edodfc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

We've got some really quite considerably heavy snow from Inverness to Ullapool at the moment, really throwing it down.

Posted

Very well spotted GWW! potential for Northern Isles / Highland and Moray if you're I'd imagine :)

Can any of you explain further? I don't have a trained eye. Are you talking about the LP over Scandi swinging round or am i well off base?

Posted

Satelite rather than the rainfall radar seems to suggest some of that snow will transfer south tonight. Fingers crossed for a light dusting in most places!

ukir_sat_201112091500.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Goodness me, what a lot of fuss about nothing much. You Scotch have gone a bit soft. Wind speeds in Glasgow and Edinburgh only managed 71 and 77mph respectively. Really just a strong breeze compared to the great southern storm of 1987 when wind speeds of 94mph were recorded in central London.

Congratulations to Cheggers. I expect Big Innes will be toasting the arrival with some Irish Whiskey.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-16108672

Would keep a 'weather' eye on Tuesday for the South of the country or wherever you are..

Posted

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otland-16108672

Would keep a 'weather' eye on Tuesday for the South of the country or wherever you are..

what did we say about feeding him..you know what happens! :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Yep - I hit the reply the same time as Nov13 wrote that ! :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Snow showers sliding across this afternoon, got turned into a snowman for an hour or so - first 'proper' snow I've been out in this winter.

Yesterday's thaw was pretty bad - some flooding caused damage to houses and roads locally and the power was off most of the evening.

Posted

damage from yesterday ,a couple of chicks killed ,

the poly tunnel is at a 90 degree angle from were it was as it was going to lift off i had to slash it

MVC-006S-4.jpg

MVC-008S-4.jpg

to be honest gutted

next doors tree down

MVC-004S-4.jpg

Posted

Just the one snow shower today. Tonight doesn't look all that great for snow with warmer uppers and less precipitation. Beyond that, well the models look brilliant from a storm enthusiast perspective but not so much for anyone wanting snow between now and just before Xmas.

However it has been quite an active spell for the Atlantic and perhaps we may begin to see it slow down sometime between Xmas and just after the New Year. The stratosphere remains very cold and the Polar Vortex is still strong, however as some other members have mentioned, there is a possibility of a SSW occuring in January so really I believe that beyond Xmas, things are looking pretty good for some potential for more longer lasting and potent cold and snow in the new year. However it all depends when the signs for this is meant to happen.

The likes of RJS mentioned the possibility of a cold snap occuring just before Xmas which looks highly unlikely, I wonder when are the signs of any developments going in the Stratoshpere and Arctic are meant to take place although I would imagine that just after Xmas we'll perhaps start to have a view of what's happening.

Anyway, it's been a fantastic start to December here and there's still more than 20 days left. God knows what the rest of December and winter will bring!!!

AWT

damage from yesterday ,a couple of chicks killed ,

the poly tunnel is at a 90 degree angle from were it was as it was going to lift off i had to slash it

MVC-006S-4.jpg

MVC-008S-4.jpg

to be honest gutted

next doors tree down

MVC-004S-4.jpg

Blimey! You certainly were hard hit there during that storm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer

freezing cold here today with 4 inches of snaw lying from last nights and this mornings snaw showers.tonight looks like we will have the hardest frost of the season so far -2.6c as i speak at 4.30pm.then for next week we are looking at another major storm on the way this one looks like its a deeper depression it may well be worse. just normal alba weather not uncommon for this time of year

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

I was driving into Perth earlier and caught a glimpse of the hills over towards Glenshee and Angus. They look to have landed a hell of a dumping from this storm.

There's still a lot of snow on the hills around Crieff, albeit wind-scoured.

Posted

freezing cold here today with 4 inches of snaw lying from last nights and this mornings snaw showers.tonight looks like we will have the hardest frost of the season so far -2.6c as i speak at 4.30pm.then for next week we are looking at another major storm on the way this one looks like its a deeper depression it may well be worse. just normal alba weather not uncommon for this time of year

I hope it is not deeper than the last one. I would say it is not common either these storm systems here! Will barely have time to patch up from the last one and the next one is on us...What is uncommon is us missing the snow though. Gone round to too much of a north westerly so we won't see anything here from that unless something more organised I suspect. You seem to have done well in East Ayrshire. Thought that was a bit of a snow free zone but you have a pretty good bit of altitude on your side - enjoy