Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland - Regional Discussion

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

Is there anywhere I can find how high above sea level I am?

Type streetmaps into Google and then type your town. Read either the contour lines or the nearest spot height on the OS Map and you'll find your elevation.

By the way, Google Earth can have the elevation way out!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

See where it says "Preferences" just under everyone's avatar / location etc. Why don't we automatically replace those with the words "mild, no snow" with the words "trolololol" and be done with it?

Posted

There was reports of rain snow mix here in ABZ this evening according to Doc over on TWO. At a time when temp was around 4C and dew point similar!! so there is hope yet. So the winds tomorrow night look strong and just catching up with the latest forecast. It seems they are from a more traditional direction and not overly sever so hopefully will be fine. Thats my amateur slant on it

I wouldn't listen to that guy. He's a dodgy character ;)

Seriously though the most recent airport report is still snowing a rain snow mix

EGPD 122120Z 16018KT 7000 -RASN BKN014 04/03 Q0978 TEMPO RA=

Looks more wet than anything outside here in this part of the city but it is hard to tell, and I am not going out to look!

Posted

Perhaps, though I maybe overstated it somewhat also. There are fairly major discrepancies between the NAE and the NMM that I didn't really pick up on earlier - the NMM brings the front in earlier and has the low centred over the north coast post-9298-0-39596900-1323725191_thumb.pn

The result - warm uppers around northern Scotland. I suppose perhaps because pressure at sea level is so low that the 850mb temperature will be at a lower altitude than normal but still the temperatures on that chart are for around 3500-4000ft. This would mean that any proper snow in the afternoon north of Fort William would be confined to above munro height. The NAE, in both the 12Z and the 18Z coming out now, keeps the milder uppers till later on, meaning that it would indeed be cold enough for hill snow in the western highlands http://expert-images...121318_1212.gif

The downside of that is that the milder air floods much further south overnight than it would do on the NMM -

http://expert-images...121406_1212.gif

So with such a major divergence between mesoscale models, it's quite hard to say what's going to happen really!

Interesting, thanks. Few certainties other than it wouldn't be a very pleasant day to be out on the hills. Will be happy to confine myself to looking out of the window for snow at work in East Kilbride (not my job, incidentally, just a work-time winter leisure pursuit!...).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
See where it says "Preferences" just under everyone's avatar / location etc. Why don't we automatically replace those with the words "mild, no snow" with the words "trolololol" and be done with it?

Show me how to hack someone's profile & there's a few folk I would have some fun with!!!! :spiteful:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Just drove home from Aberdeen and it was sleety north of Newmachar.

Fit a fine place that is for Weather - I used to live there :)

Posted

Currently clear here and frosty at 0c.Was in Inverness yesterday and there are patches of snow behind woods and fences right at sea level a really seasonal look and an indication of how cold December has been so far.The hills round the Firth are just white with a few wind blown areas and Ben Wyvis looked spectacular bathed in the pink sunlight of the early morning sun.On a practical not side roads were like skating rinks, winter tyres came into their own and only the school bus route seemed to have been treated in the countryside.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

feels cooler in Perth this morning hopeful of catching a flake or 2 despite a lack of altitude here...had sleet late last night....must go check the latest charts see what those uppers are looking like today although I see others saying they are on the high side :/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Met Office in process of updating their warnings according to the Twitter feed.

Looking at the dewpoints these are favourable until later this afternoon.Upper temps continue to be marginal throughout today and are slowly eroded and pushed south as that system moves towards the west coast.

The LP now an impressive 949mb at last update here from 0800

http://meteocentre.com/analyse/local/uk_large.gif?1323765779

Mid Day onwards is when the gusts will really pick up on the west coast. http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/marine/shipping_forecast.html#All~Malin

Looking at Rockall, Hurricane force and sea state phenomenal is the synopsis, so some energy out there !

So favourable for snow up until around 13:00 if you are high enough and it's cold enough, after that enjoy the breeze.

Posted

Does this storm look like it will hit France instead? (thur/fri) I have very vivid memories of being stuck in Paris Dec 1999. We took the little one (big now) to Disneyland for Christmas, never have I been so scared in my life. The destruction was devestating. I beleive it was called a lothar storm. A lot of people where killed due to that storm.

I found this

http://oiswww.eumetsat.org/WEBOPS/iotm/iotm/19991226_storm/991226ka.gif

Edited by Snowlover2

Posted

amber warning wind for strathclyde

over cast here just now a little gustly, really really :p hoping for snow tho xx

Does this storm look like it will hit France instead? (thur/fri) I have very vivid memories of being stuck in Paris Dec 1999. We took the little one (big now) to Disneyland for Christmas, never have I been so scared in my life. The destruction was devestating. I beleive it was called a lothar storm. A lot of people where killed due to that storm.

I found this

http://oiswww.eumets...rm/991226ka.gif

looks like it

Posted

I found this

http://oiswww.eumets...rm/991226ka.gif

Sincerely hope you are wrong!

Very windy last night with heavy rain. We possible got a share of what hit the south coast of the UK last night.

Blustry week again with the possibility of more snow for central Scotland next weekend methinks!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Happy to celebrate hitting 4 digits with this post. Here's to many more.. in honour of that here is a perfect picture of a white out over Edinburgh viewed from afar.

post-7292-0-76308200-1323703672_thumb.jp

Ooh, I can see my house! :)

Fingers crossed we get that kind of snow again.

I've been offline for less than 24 hours and am now totally confused by the forecast - what happened??

Th/Fri's storm is now far enough south not to be a feature up here, yes? so it still exists but NIMBY? Or has it evaporated and no longer exists anywhere?

And no real wind last night so is the current gusting blowy winds forecast for 60+mph gusting tonight the late first storm or the early second storm or neither?

And where does the snow come from and why does the MetO tease and taunt me so by throwing a SWWarning over Embra when it knows perfectly well it'll be four flakes and then rain? (sob, sob, sob)

Posted

Sincerely hope you are wrong!

Very windy last night with heavy rain. We possible got a share of what hit the south coast of the UK last night.

Blustry week again with the possibility of more snow for central Scotland next weekend methinks!

Btw that chart is from 1999. Sorry for any confusion. :S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

We're 96m asl, it seems - now can we possibly persuade the weather to consider us as "over 100m" - I mean, the house is more than four metres tall, so... :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Well the wind is definitely picking up not looking forward to going back out in it again!

Bright and sunny but a bit more cloud about than earlier. Probably be rain here later would be nice to see a flake or two :((

Posted

I don't understand why the Met Office are forecasting snow down to 100m, it's going to be more like 400m going by the charts!! When the heavier precip moves in later the upper temps will rise I think it will be a rain and wind event for most!! Northern England will hold onto the cold uppers for a longer period!!!

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

I don't understand why the Met Office are forecasting snow down to 100m, it's going to be more like 400m going by the charts!! When the heavier precip moves in later the upper temps will rise I think it will be a rain and wind event for most!! Northern England will hold onto the cold uppers for a longer period!!!

Temps set to drop about 1-2c so maybe just maybe some snow later!

Posted

Will evaporative cooling not have an effect in the heavier showers? Maybe this is why?