Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What Is This Cloud Formation?

Hi, new to this forum :)

On a flight in Namibia a while ago, I saw this cloud formation. Everyone in the plane was stunned and were taking pictures. It's hard to tell the scale but it went on for as far as the eye can see and was unlike anything I've ever seen.

It was a large expanse of flat (which went on all the way to the horizon) and ended VERY abruptly in a wall of cloud that seemed to be moving downwards. I can sort of see how this could be formed by competing air masses, but does it have a name, and could anyone explain it in more detail?

Here is a picture:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/99566/cloud.JPG

Thanks!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

On a flight in Namibia a while ago, I saw this cloud formation. Everyone in the plane was stunned and were taking pictures. It's hard to tell the scale but it went on for as far as the eye can see and was unlike anything I've ever seen.

It was a large expanse of flat (which went on all the way to the horizon) and ended VERY abruptly in a wall of cloud that seemed to be moving downwards. I can sort of see how this could be formed by competing air masses, but does it have a name, and could anyone explain it in more detail?

Here is a picture:

http://dl.dropbox.co...99566/cloud.JPG

Thanks!

Hi there TopHattedMan

Welcome to Netweather :) I'm not sure what cloud this is but I'm sure somebody more knowledgable will be along to help you identify this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Here is a picture:

http://dl.dropbox.co...99566/cloud.JPG

Thanks!

Spectacular picture.

Looks like a layer of Stratus to me?

Posted

That looks very similar to a cloud formation that sometimes occurs on the east coast of Australia. I cant seem to find any further information at the moment, but perhaps someone else has heard of it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

It could be similar to the haar that occurs along our east and northeast coasts in early summer, when the temperature contrast between land and sea is at it's greatest. I read somewhere that there is a particularly cold current off the coast of Namibia which makes coastal parts very prone to sea fog and low cloud. Of course, all of the above could be utter cobblers!

Welcome to Netweather...

Posted

You could well be right Pete. The cold north flowing Benguela current affects the climate of the coastal regions giving frequent dense fog that would end abruptly. You see this effect in Cornwall on occasion similar to, as you mention, along the east and north east coasts.

Edited by weather ship

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Cheers for that, WS. And for reminding my addled brain as to the name of the current. :good: