Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Your Weather Hopes For 2012

damianslaw

Posted

Thought it quite an apt time to start turning attention to 2012 as a whole and people's hopes for what it may deliver weatherwise.

This isn't meant to be a 2012 forecast thread, just an opportunity for people to state there weather preferences.

After what has been a thoroughly uninteresting year weatherwise (well in my view), gosh can't remember the last time a whole year has past without any real weather incidence (the last couple of weeks have been quite interesting mind), I am just hoping for some more interesting conditions, namely greater extremes of cold and warmth.

I'm hoping for a cold Jan-March period and think we have a good chance of getting one with a decent cold snowy february. A chilly spring with some late season snowfall. A decent warm dry May and a much much better summer than we have experienced in the last 5 years. A more seasonal autumn - autumn 2011 was exceptionally dull and benign it was painful.. and a cold snowy december.

Overall I just hope for a decent summer next year and I'dbe a happy man - and not our best weather reserved for the spring and autumn months.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

I remember last year hoping for an April like 2007...and it happened. I enjoyed the April warm spell a lot...as I did the late September one.

I would hope for a warm and sunny Easter weekend. Easter for me is the most relaxing holiday of the year and it's perfect when the weather does something special. 2007 will always stick out in my mind...having a barbecue and a few drinks with the family on the back patio as the sun set.

Apart from that, I would like to see more interesting weather this year than last year. A good summer would be good as well as a cracking winter to start the year off, (I won't go into detail on that here, plenty of threads for that one!)

My expectations for 2012 are currently fairly low...but a combination of warm (not hot) sunny weather, crystal blue skies and 3 day bank holiday weekend is high on my list! We will get all 3 of those things...but at the same time may be a bit tricky!

Posted

My hopes for 2012? hmmmm. How about this:

January: Mild start then BANG! Britain submerged into a bitter big freeze with record breaking cold and heavy, widespread snowfalls.

February: An EXPLOSIVE start with Britain frozen under deep snow with STUNNING snowfalls. It should then get drier, but the bitter cold conditions shall stay.

March: A very cold start with the Big Freeze continuing then BANG! Battle between the Atlantic and Atlantic resulting in MEGA snowfalls. Then to turn out settled, sunny and mild.

April: A PLEASANT beginning with some sunshine/showers and nice temps. Widespread heavy snow during the middle. A pleasant, calm, dry and warm end.

May: Heatwave for first week or two weeks with DAZZLING sunshine. Then a cold snap bringing some snow. Then a warm end with some thunderstorms and tornadoes.

June: Amazing, heavy rain with floods to start with then BANG. Amazing cold snap bringing snow to lowland Scotland. Then a record breaking heatwaves begins.

July: Hottest month ever with amazing heat and sunshine but still enough rain around for no droughts.

August: Warm start with some very warm temps. But less amazing with some rain and cooler temperatures around. A surprise frost to end month.

September: Chilly beginning. Then heatwave with record breaking temps. Very wet with some strong winds. Then sunny with a notable cold snap with snow.

October: Cool, chilly start with sunshine. Then a 1 week heatwave with warm temperatures. Then stormy, then sunny then a snowy end to the month.

November: Cold, snowy start. Then anticyclonic, then windy and wet and then BANG. Record Breaking Big Freeze begins.

December: Coldest month of all time, record breaking temps everywhere, amazing snowfalls, deep lying snow and some lovely winter sunshine and white Christmas.

2011, or 2012? Hmmmmm...........

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Much above average sunshine, and above average snowfall, snow cover and thundery activity.

I would like an "episodic" theme from January to May with alternating warm and cold spells either side of the traditional spring warming trend, frequent "sunshine and snow showers" setups during the cold spells, a mix of bright showery and dry sunny spells in the warm ones. By April/May, some tasters of summer in the hot spells, but also at least one snowy northerly outbreak in both months.

Then a "continental style" summer with frequent warm/hot spells, occasional cool spells, plentiful sunshine and some dry spells interspersed with showery/thundery outbreaks. I would particularly welcome frequent recurrences of the sort of "suppressed Azores High, breakaway high to the east and Atlantic trough" pattern that characterised the Julys of 1994, 1995 and 2006.

Then autumn and December should ideally resume with the aforementioned "episodic" theme.

Posted

I want an exceptionally mild January and February followed by the coldest March on record. Frequent snowfall from a bitter easterly, 850 values typically -10 or below. The strength of the sun added by the unusually warm north sea would create convection rivaled only by Spanish Plumes. It'd be great!

A summer would be nice!

Yeah its the best day of the year :good:

For me

January to March: Cold and snowy with frosty clear nights mixed in there.

April to May: A warmer than average spring with some of those April showers.

June to August: A great summer with heat waves and very settled. Also the occasional thunderstorm.

September to October: A warm start to Autumn but gets colder later with frost.

November to December: Extremely cold with lots of snow so much the snow comes up to the roofs of the houses and the sea freezes over so I can walk to the mainland of Britain for the first time since the ice age.

Edited by weathermaster

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

A cold and snowy end to January, February also cold and plenty of deep heavy snow. March to begin cold with snow before turning milder. April settled and sunny. May- August : Sunny, High pressure, light winds, hot temperatures. September can be showery and wet at times. October drier, mild at times. November to begin cold and settled. Fog and frost for bonfire night. Snowy end to 2012 as November/December sees a repeat of 2010 but this time Midlands and Southern Central see worst snowfall!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I would like an extremely cold January - April with frequent heavy snowfalls and ice days. Continious heavy snowfall giving up to two feet of snow, with one or two milder interludes delivering buckets of rain.

I would like a mild May - August with daytime temperatures no higher then 23C on average, with a mixture of sunny days and overcast skies (mostly the latter), with plenty of thundery downpours and a Spanish plume to deliver beastly storms, with heat lasting no longer then 3 days.

September - November, I would like an abundance of rainfall, strong gales and fog! Rainfall totals exceeding 100mm and wind gusts topping 75mph.

Then December, well, pretty much the same as January - April.

Oh if only..

Edited by Aaron

Going to Southern France for a few weeks from March to April, so would like to see the weather warming up nicely there with calm anticycolonic conditions with wall to wall blue sky so we have some early season warmth, though it would be nice to drive through the massive when it still has a pristine white mantle and, hopefully, clear dry roads.

Thereafter this fine warm weather to follow us to the UK for the remainder of spring, summer and early autumn, when we will return to France once more for an Indian summer with temps around the 30C until the beginning of Nov.

Probably hibernate then until mid Jan to wake up to powdery snow on the ground with crystal clear blue skies, the snow gradually sublimating, so that by March we are in lovely spring weather to start the transmigration back to France for spring 2013.

Posted

I'd preferably like a cold January and February with plenty of snow, though interspersed with short milder interludes. A cool and showery spring with northerly outbreaks then leading on to a warm summer though with plenty of thunderstorms and rain. Then, a cool wet autumn with Atlantic storms with the first hints of winter in November, leading onto a cold, snowy December.

Though what I really don't want, is a repeat of this year's weather!

Posted

I'm going to take what comes - well what choice do I get? :rofl:

Posted

I expect next year (like I expected this year) to be very mild with little in the way of decent snow or frost.

A settled, bright and cold January and February

I hope to see a normal spring void of ridiculous warmth

A consistantly warm summer

A cool changeable autumn (2010 had just that)

A cold and frosty December

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Top of the list is a lovely extended period of warmth and dryness beginning in May and lasting until September. Therefore an extended summer along the lines of 1959,1989 or 2003 would be great. Any rainfall would mostly come from thundery downpours and very occasional frontal bands of rain. I hope to see 35c achieved and a week of 30+ temperatures

Basically a warmer and drier than average year will suit me,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Rest of winter

Some snow and cold periods

Spring 2012

Same as 2011, mostly dry warmer than average

Summer 2012

Hot, dry and sunny with the odd thunderstorm thrown in

Autumn 2012

More normal autumn with decent rain fall after what I expect to be a summer of drought for some areas

Winter 2012

Cold and snowy at times with some milder periods.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

I am longing to see a thunderstorm on the scale of what we had here a few years back (cant remember the year but I was either 17 or 18 so 2007 or 2008). We watched the cloud darken and grow above our heads and it just went from there. It went as dark as night at 7pm in summer. Had at least a couple of hours of lightning that then lasted into the first half of the night. I drove through it down lanes to a friend's place and the amount of forked lightning in the fields around me was pretty intense.

Other than that, I think we're due a hot summer that sticks around for a while. I'm not a fan of hot weather when its stupidly humid...but I do enjoy going camping with mates for beers on the sand dunes in S Wales and North Devon :p

A snowy February is always welcome...I like a bit of snow on my birthday haha. Other than that, a cold winter but not any prolonged drizzly murk.

Average spring and for autumn - a stormy start but then sunny and crisp. That'll do nicely for 2012. Where do I submit my order?

Posted

I think what i hope for and what i am expecting are two different things.

Id hope that january and february turn out to be cold, frosty and sunny, with march and april having lots of pleasant warming days of spring sunshine, but cool by night aswell. May i hope to bring the first hint of summer, especially round the last week, and it to be dry and sunny. June, July and August i hope to be dryer, warmer and sunnier than average. Autumn much wetter and windier broken up with spells of frost and fog, then december to be cold and frosty.

What i expect is January to be very mild and wet, February to be less mild and dryer but no severe cold spell, march, april and may will probably be unusually dry or warm again, giving way to a very wet june, very dull and wet july, then a cold august again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I'm starting to think people are just 'expecting' repeats of the year before.. which is a bit silly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

unrealistic but, hopes for Jan/Feb, cold,snow etc

mar/apr, snow at times, other times dry

may-sep, dry, not too hot, no rain, but would like regular thunderstorms 6pm-11pm

0ct, dry, sunny, no rain

nov/dec, cold and snow etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Id like January to be snow free especially from the 10th onwards as I have a lot going on. February I would like to see a Big Freeze with March warming up interspersed by heavy snow showers but a warm sunny end. For April through to September, as much heat and thunderstorms that can be thrown in. By Autumn a few thundery showers, some gales and the first snow in November and winter can do its work from here on in.

Essentially, anything more exciting than 2011 as lately each year seems to be getting more and more boring! I would especially like a good summer over anything else in 2012.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I'm starting to think people are just 'expecting' repeats of the year before.. which is a bit silly.

I think its a case, of thats what they want to happen! I would want that again!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

A sunny and warm start to June (Jubilee bank holiday) as I am getting married!

Clear skies and 22c would do me lovely!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

A sunny and warm start to June (Jubilee bank holiday) as I am getting married!

Clear skies and 22c would do me lovely!

Fantastic news! Good luck for your weather then :D

For me- January and February, cold and wintry with ne and e winds dominant, large snow amounts, thawed only by high pressure moving in introducing clear and warm conditions.

March and April, dominated by cold n/ne winds, but increasingly turning warmer with optimistic ridges from the sw and some lovely sunshine.

May-August, hp dominated with a high amount of warm s/se winds, cooler spells generally from the n/nw and rather showery.

September-October, cooler finally with lots of wet/windy weather and alternating tm/pm airmasses, the odd indian summer weekend and cold snap from the north introduce some variety.

November-December, turning cooler from the north, and then a mighty blast from the east with 1040mb stretching from stavanger to st.petersburg, and low pressure seeping down from iberia into the channel and then continental europe.