Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Northern England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe gales, heavy rain and alpine climates

Bit of a covering in Consett, maybe 2 or 3 cm on the grass. Wet and heavy on the roads.

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Aww its not fair! Stamps feet!! ;)

Posted

1.3º here, heavy sleet and snow settling above about 600ft this morning. Dropped to -0.9º last night.

Not 600ft - I live at 600ft. I meant 800ft....or whatever height my mum and dad live at, as they've got snow in their garden this morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

6z progging a snow event Thursday night as the front moves in the from west and the cold upper air digs in behind and turns the ppn to sleet and snow, mainly over the hills but not exclusively.

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Just been up to North Yorks Moors a good covering around 200m and a few cm of wet snow at the top of Sutton Bank (300m). Down here its plain old rain. Sick of having to drive to see snow!

This camera is around 250 m up in the NYM, still snowing :D

033B92B9_FFED885A_cam2.jpg

Posted

Mild air getting closer now, still 5c here but over the IOM it's now 10c, it's going to feel tropical soon!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

3.0C and rain at Cleadon, the temperature got no lower than 2.2C (4:06am). I expected the temperature to get lower overnight, but the "cold rain" this morning was far from unexpected. I still await Cleadon's first day of sleet/snow falling of 2012- this could well end up as the first snowless January here since at least 1992, possibly 1989, although the possible easterly at the end of the month makes this uncertain (even a mostly dry cloudy easterly with a few light sleet and graupel showers would be enough to prevent that from happening).

A snowy easterly is certainly possible, but I think we'll have to wait until about 10 days' time for that to become a major possibility, as the cold airmass over eastern Russia is set to make only slow progress towards western Europe. Most model runs have it quite close by once we get a few days into February. Thus, not only are the synoptics crucial but so also is the timing of any easterly incursion.

Posted

Would not begrudge an easterly for the folks out to the east, it seems like we are long overdue one. Although snow amounts very rarely survive the trip over the pennines for us out in the west, at least we'll have a decent cold snap and get rid of this mild drizzly murk. Saying that in the immediate future Thurs night/Friday could provide a wintry possibility for the North West even if a small window of opportunity.

Posted

Just been up to North Yorks Moors a good covering around 200m and a few cm of wet snow at the top of Sutton Bank (300m). Down here its plain old rain. Sick of having to drive to see snow!

This camera is around 250 m up in the NYM, still snowing :D

033B92B9_FFED885A_cam2.jpg

I wasn't aware of that camera!

Manipulating the URL to find the index didn't work - are there others?

It seems very quiet just now, I see there was a load of steel fell off yesterday and it was closed for hours.

edit:

Ah - found it

http://www.northyorks.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=13516

Edited by 4wd

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

9.6C after a low of 3.4C last night.

Low cloud and drizzle.

Posted

Temp is rising with warmer air, 7.2c now.

Posted

Mild, grey, dull and drizzly here at moment which is more or less the story of this winter so far i.e nothing wright home about.

We can only hope that this weather pattern's days are numbered but I'm not committing to that possibility just yet neither do I suspect any of you are as we all know what those pesky models can be like. :angry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

3.0c here, cold, damp, misty/foggy, brr feels a lot colder then say a sunny, calm 1C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Misty,damp rising temp 7.6 drizzly rain and pathetic! Lol"......where is this snow they were forecasting last night? And the meto have downgraded today! And the daily mail http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2090559/Brace-winter--going-ONE-DAY-Britain-blasted-snow-ice-24-hour-cold-snap.html well sez it all really!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Misty,damp rising temp 7.6 drizzly rain and pathetic! Lol"......where is this snow they were forecasting last night? And the meto have downgraded today! And the daily mail http://www.dailymail...-cold-snap.html well sez it all really!

Daily Mail jinxed it all again!

Posted

Miserable January day - low cloud murk and light fine drizzle and feeling raw..

Outside chance we may catch a snow shower on Thursday especially under any heavier showers, dewpoints and uppers look quite conducive - so we may see our first snowflake of the year.

It is rare not to see at least a snowflake during January - even very mild Jans in the past have delivered at least a few snow showers under temporary polar airmasses. This could indeed go down as a snow free January as the progged easterly would very unlikely to deliver any snow showers to Cumbria.

I won't be surprised to see March recording far more snow days than Dec and Jan combined and I expect Feb to deliver the white stuff.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

To deliver for us, we not only need the cold air advected far west enough but we also need the scandi high to stay far enough north and remain as robust as possible preferably with as lower heights as we can get further south, hopefully we can then get some decent PPN in, whether that is by North sea convection (least likely option) or a battleground scenario with a front preferebaly stalled dead in its tracks right over our region by a contental dry cold feed (most likely option of the 2) the other possibility is mild garbage from the west blasting away the block or at least the battleground being too far east, all to play for but im not getting excited until nearer the time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Best midrange GEFS ensemble suite of the winter for Manchester with several runs flatlining near or below -10 uppers and over half now going below -5 at some stage, maybe more, i did have a brief look through each member and there were some near misses where the atlantic just crept through, or the potent cold just a bit further south, i would urge caution and wouldnt be cracking the champagne yet, particularly the further West you are, but its certainly not dead like i thought on sunday, something will give in next 36 hours, possibly sooner, as the modelling of the Shortwave gets into the reliable timeframe.

Posted

What an awful day here in Cumbria, grey skies with near constant rain or drizzle. Rather depressing! Very mild currently @ 9.7c.

GFS is a corker of a run for the NW with the potential for a battle ground scenario developing as the Atlantic tries to push against the block of cold air to the east. Early days yet to be to specific but things are looking good. similar set ups like February 1996 and March 2006 spring to mind, each one delivering about 30cm of level snow.