Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Northern England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted

Dont believe that tbh when i had the radar up last year there was showers all down eastern England, i did remember the dry zone though because i was in it

Well you'd better believe it, 40 miles north of me had over 30cm of snow. 20 miles south of me had 30+ cm of snow. we in the dry zone in the East, yep the east, had zilch.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Northampton is in the Midlands isnt it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

I come bearing gifts :D

Snow warning for Mon

'Rain edging in from the west could turn to snow on the leading edge, with the potential for accumulations of several cm, especially on hills. The public are advised to be aware of the potential for disruption to traffic. At this stage there is considerable uncertainty so please check for further updates.'

http://www.metoffice...t_warnings.html

Edited by Lancashire Lass

Posted

Suspect the front will stall over the Irish Sea thanks to much stronger heights to our east - it will be forced SE eventuall weakening as it does so. Wales looks primed for low level snowfall and probably some favoured parts of SW England. Snowiest conditions look reserved for central Wales and S Wales where high ground could get quite a bit.

Its a developing situation, the front might not even make it into Wales properly in which case - convection may kick off in eastern parts of the region thanks to a stronger easterly flow..

Longer term - there is strong likelihood of the easterly becoming a northerly/northeasterly and we will see the southern arm of the jet ramp up meaning undercutting situations galore as fronts struggle to move NE across the country - SW parts of the country would be favoured best for snow as well as NE parts under any northerly/northeasterly airstream - a synoptic which occured in mid Feb 1978.

I'd love to see the front make it into NW England on Sunday as uppers look very conducive for low level snowfall - any snow would quickly freeze Monday night and with the promise of cold dry conditions next week - a number of snow days could be recorded- alas remains to be seen, mind thick frost over a couple of days quickly takes on the look of snow.. and I suspect next week will be a cloudy type of cold so less chance of it thawing..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Down to 0.0c now, a drop of 2.7 degrees since 9.05pm.

Posted

Yeah, was just as a general rule though. Wet bulb IMO is the least important factor.

Major upgrade regarding Sunday/Monday on the 06Z. Continental air undercutting FAR quicker, much colder uppers making it right across the country by Monday.

For dry snow its crucial mate, when you factor in the humidity

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

HC hi why dont you use the chat room too

Posted

Nice charts, but I doubt they will verify.

Good for prolonging cold, yes. But do I really want weeks of cold with no snow? :lol:

I guess it will only help strengthen the Russian block, but I can't stand it when the East gets loads of snow, because god, they don't half rub it in. Especially Snowstorm1.

This has been what my fear had been all about. We rarely do well out of an Easterly...cold yes, snow? 9/10 it remains dry...most of the snow activity will likely be to the south east / east coast. The further west that warm front goes the worse it gets for our prospects...unless we see many changes soon, all I can see is extreme wind chills at best with sub day time temps of -3/-4C

Posted

I see the MetO are also on LEVEL2 of the 'cold alert status' going into the weekend.

There is a 70% probability of severe cold weather between 1800 on Sunday and 0900 on Tuesday in parts of England. This weather could increase the health risks to vulnerable patients and disrupt the delivery of services. Please refer to the national Cold Weather Plan and your Trust's emergency plan for appropriate preventive action.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/coldweatheralert/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Well my cold spell has started, -0.4c with a frozen lawn and frost coating the car roof :)

NAE brings the front close enough for some light sleet/snow during Sunday evening.

post-9615-0-41768700-1327705091_thumb.gi

post-9615-0-07356600-1327705168_thumb.gi uppers

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Please note, the smaller regional groups are about to reopen, because those weather boffs say it's about to get cold. This thread will lock shortly.

Hope no one gets lost.