Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Southern England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted

Peter Cockroft on BBC London just mentioned snow later next week.!!!

The tinker!!!!! He's ramping it up early. I wonder what the discussions are like at the mo in Met O Exeter? :whistling:

Posted

I did say earlier there is always a forecaster who always says something :clapping: forgotten who was one of the BBC forecasters who was taken off recently who loved the cold and snow that the BBC didnt like?? Must be fun in the Met Office at the moment, probably damned if we dont, damned if we do!! ;)

Posted

I did say earlier there is always a forecaster who always says something :clapping: forgotten who was one of the BBC forecasters who was taken off recently who loved the cold and snow that the BBC didnt like?? Must be fun in the Met Office at the moment, probably damned if we dont, damned if we do!! ;)

Rob McElwee?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow !!!!

Rob McElwee?

That man is a legend !

Posted

Thats him, what happened to Rob Mcelwee? does anybody know? probably put in a cupboard with all the others? have a challenge since 1980 name all the BBC Forecasters???

Posted

Thats him, what happened to Rob Mcelwee? does anybody know? probably put in a cupboard with all the others? have a challenge since 1980 name all the BBC Forecasters???

According to his wiki page he was moved to backroom forecasting duties as part of a cost cutting drive.

Posted

Found out he was put in the cupboard

Rob presented his final forecast on BBC1 on 10 January 2011, during which he forecast rain with chances of snow for most of the UK. He ended the forecast saying, "'Till then, a bit of snow still. That's it from me. That's it from me, really. Goodnight." He was moved to backroom forecasting duties by the Met Office as part of a cost-cutting exercise.

Posted

:cray: Booo to putting Rob in the cupboard. He was fun to watch. I can think of a few of them they should put in there instead!

PS. Just wanted to thank Coast for the posts, they really do put a smile on my face. :clap:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow !!!!

Found out he was put in the cupboard

Rob presented his final forecast on BBC1 on 10 January 2011, during which he forecast rain with chances of snow for most of the UK. He ended the forecast saying, "'Till then, a bit of snow still. That's it from me. That's it from me, really. Goodnight." He was moved to backroom forecasting duties by the Met Office as part of a cost-cutting exercise.

Unbelievable , was so refreshing to hear someone forecast snow with some excitment ! He was like a big kid when snow was on the way , which to be honest is what we are all like.

Oh well, good one aunty beeb let the beige forecasters stay and lose the one who put a bit of magic in the forecast.

He be sorely missed by me .

Posted

Quote about Rob

Once again the BBC seems to have mistaken the icing for the cake. Rob McElwee is the longest-serving of the corporation’s weather forecasters, but after next month we shall no longer see him on our screens. If no one has suggested he try Botox or dye his greying locks, his banishment is of a piece with a wider trend for ditching older broadcasters who know what they are talking about, in favour of younger ones with a slicker, more superficial approach.

British interest in the weather is deeper than asking whether we need an umbrella next day. As Allison Pearson has suggested in these pages, viewers feel a “bond of trust†with such an established forecaster. They do not deserve to be talked down to. Rob McElwee brings enthusiasm for the science of weather to a generation no longer satisfied with tapping the barometer in the hall. He must be saved for the nation.

Posted

Keep posting all these lovely charts that are still so far away may be pointless (well it keeps me amused!) but what is coming out of the runs at the moment is a distinct possibility of some cold and maybe even snow trying to get to us in the next 10 days or so.

That's not to say it will, or at a specific date and time, but the charts showing it are there, somewhere, run after run in GFS:

post-6667-0-89453500-1327077935_thumb.pn

Yeah, yeah, I know, don't do every run every day, don't just go with one model, snow is impossible to predict until T -3 hours - even I say that!!! :lol:

But I'm clutching straws like I'm hanging onto my worldly possessions here - so bite me!!!! :p

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Im not being a killjoy, it seems to change every run, :sorry:

Yes I have noticed that too. Quite often on the next GFS run everything seems to be 6 hours nearer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: I do like the cold weather......

I have been hearing Chiff Chaff songs for the past two weeks,and they are not due to arrive until march.

Anybody else heard any Chiff Chaffs yet ?.

It has gone mild yet again,Winter seems to have passed the South by this year,albeit with the odd exception.

Edited by WestCountry11

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

I have been hearing Chiff Chaff songs for the past two weeks,and they are not due to arrive until march.

Anybody else heard any Chiff Chaffs yet ?.

It has gone mild yet again,Winter seems to have passed the South by this year,albeit with the odd exception.

Wouldn't be so sure :p

Posted

Mr Fish has only said Snow in the North and slightly becoming colder, certainly no major Snow event :cray: the way things are going i reckon he could be possibly right