Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

November 1993 Youtube Forecast

Weather-history

Posted

Well I'm not sure how I did it but here is a couple of forecasts from November 1993. Got to figure out how I did it!

Fantastic! I hope that you've got many more great forecasts of great events in there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I remember someone remarking on the forum about a BBC forecast for possible thundersnow on the 22nd November 1993- the Countryfile forecast up there may well have been it. Good to see footage of some of the forecasts- I'll be keeping an eye on that Youtube channel in the coming weeks!

Certainly brings back memories (and probably a sign of a true weather nut that I was able to work out which day of the week corresponded to which day of November 1993 lol). Before 2010 this stood out as easily the biggest November snow event in the North East since I started observing the weather.

Posted

How I miss those old graphics - there was always something exciting about the cloud/snowflake one and whether you would be under 1, 2 or (on very rare occasions) 3 snowflakes!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It's worth noting that the Countryfile forecast turned out to be quite accurate. The only inaccuracies were that snow showers died out quicker than expected in eastern areas (there weren't many left by the 23rd, which was forecast to be similar to the 22nd) and the Atlantic system got a bit further east than expected on the 24th, bringing light eastern-flank snowfalls for some.

Posted

I liked the extra information given regarding conditions on the continent. Weatherview also used to be far more detailed and interesting than it is now, showing unusual weather conditions from across the world - now it just seems like a brief overview.

*wistful sigh*

Posted

I liked the extra information given regarding conditions on the continent. Weatherview also used to be far more detailed and interesting than it is now, showing unusual weather conditions from across the world - now it just seems like a brief overview.

*wistful sigh*

Weatheriew used to be the last thing you could watch on BBC2 before it closed down for the evening. Now we have weatherview at 9.55 on BBC News 24 - but it rarely lasts more than 3 minutes and usually only goes out to 4 days ahead, whereas weatherview back in the 90's regularly lasted nearly 4 minutes went out to 5 days ahead and gave good graphical synoptic charts.

I do remember the late Nov 93 cold spell and watching those easterlies streaming across the country.

I have been keeping any eye out on youtube for any other bbc forecasts of good cold spells, would love to see any from late Dec 95 or better still the countryfile forecast 4 Feb 96 - a classic for these parts with the forecast of a stalled front delivering copious snowfall.

• 4 months later...
Posted

I get a strong sense that the forecasters correctly saw that the continental air was going to make it over, but (prior to the 20th November forecast) underestimated the amount of shower activity generated over the North Sea. Perhaps the forecast models underestimated the strength of the westward ridge through Scandinavia from the large Russian anticyclone or maybe they were just being cautious.

• 11 years later...
Posted
3 hours ago, Weather-history said:

I'm pinching myself this was 30 years ago! 

Brings back memories of watching  these forecasts to see if the blue cold airmass  was heading towards our shores.  

The 23rd of November was very cold here, an ice day, it never got above -2°C 

image.thumb.png.8150c6fd850a688e216a248588e7d0f5.pngimage.thumb.png.baa28f713a22d16237f43346a59bbee7.pngimage.thumb.png.38d84103930344414db0a9e24eaf3136.pngimage.thumb.png.139ddff5b80c0d094586926d0d09ed88.png

image.thumb.png.3f0d5bac02b43a2f734d928f027fa068.pngimage.thumb.png.fa8ea87661b36c5b4211a1fe89962fba.pngimage.thumb.png.4f0f82ea607767fce9b92cdaca57bb49.pngimage.thumb.png.31d34e16ab2882bd61a41182fcaef32c.png 

It was a notable cold spell for November, widespread severe frosts and snow, nothing too substantive though. It came at the end of a long 5 cold month spell. Think we had an ice day or two and freezing fog. 

It was one of those cold Nov spells that came to an abrupt end start of Dec, very similiar to 1985. 

Mind winter 93-94 was similiar in some respects to 85-86, cold came back later in Dec, and some cold in Feb but not the same depth as 1986.

Looks like this Nov will be devoud of any notable cold or low level snow, higher ground may see something more notable next weekend. Im non too fussed about cold and snow in Nov. 

Posted
11 hours ago, Weather-history said:

I'm pinching myself this was 30 years ago! 

Brings back memories of watching  these forecasts to see if the blue cold airmass  was heading towards our shores.  

The 23rd of November was very cold here, an ice day, it never got above -2°C 

image.thumb.png.8150c6fd850a688e216a248588e7d0f5.pngimage.thumb.png.baa28f713a22d16237f43346a59bbee7.pngimage.thumb.png.38d84103930344414db0a9e24eaf3136.pngimage.thumb.png.139ddff5b80c0d094586926d0d09ed88.png

image.thumb.png.3f0d5bac02b43a2f734d928f027fa068.pngimage.thumb.png.fa8ea87661b36c5b4211a1fe89962fba.pngimage.thumb.png.4f0f82ea607767fce9b92cdaca57bb49.pngimage.thumb.png.31d34e16ab2882bd61a41182fcaef32c.png 

Remember it well, but as per usual I missed out on most of the snow!!  You know, snow to the east, north and west of me but pretty much zilch IMBY.  🙄

Edited by Don