Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Cold Spell Part 1

Posted

Back down to 2c this evening, frost on the way? Roads will be skating rinks in the morning as we have just had a heavy shower. about half an hour ago

Posted

Exactly right, any battleground is kept well to the southwest of Scotland, and uppers, while not often as cold as the '87/'91 easterlies that are so often raised in the MT, are reliably below -5C and very often below -8C. Plus as you say there's so much more potential variations of the flow direction - anything from WNW to ENE. Heights tend to be lower, which means convective snowfall is more likely and shortwave activity tends to be very productive with limited 'breakdown' risk. And even if you don't end up with much snow, at least it's freezing cold and sunny most of the time.

So what are the odds of a decent cold spell from Northern Blocking?

I'm going for 60:40 in favour of a succesful Greenland High.

Posted

Absolute sheet of ice out there now, temp dropping under clear skies and all the heavy sleety/snowy mush from earlier has glazed over to create the perfect ice rink.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

So what are the odds of a decent cold spell from Northern Blocking?

I'm going for 60:40 in favour of a succesful Greenland High.

I'd say 80:20 in favour of a greeny high, I suppose though it depends what you'd define as 'successful'.