Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Are The Seasons Distributed Correctly?

leicsnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Interesting topic. If you look at the stats March and December are closer to one another, temperature wise, than many people think or realise. At only 1.2 Degrees apart (CET) they are closer than say October and November, June and July, and even their respective warmer neighbours (November and April). It's a classic...no, its the example of low solar output vs seasonal lag. I like to summarise it like this: December inherits any warmth, but makes none of it's own, whereas March is the exact opposite, it inherits no warmth, but begins to create it's own.

Very much agree- and like that statement!

I've thought plenty about that sort of stuff too. It's similar with June and September too - again with June generating its own heat much more than September does. I much prefer March and June of those four as I prefer a large solar input to get warmth instead of latent ground heat which for me always feels more 'damp' or decaying.

Posted

If you live in the parts of England that have enjoyed the cold and snow earlier this month then you may agree with my point that in recent years, December has been more of winter month than February, let alone March! I think you could have a greater argument in saying that February could become a Spring month!

However, February has had a history of having the coldest and snowiest weather so really it should stay as a winter month but there are some simularities between February and March.

February can have sunny, mild Spring like conditions; March can have snowy, cold, Winter like conditions. Then you have - February has a history of having very cold and snowy weather; March has a history of having warmth and longer days with sunshine. When you look at this you can see that February and March should stay in their respective seasons.

So, If I had the choice - how would I change the Seasons?

Although they are good right now, I would expand the two main seasons of summer and winter to encapsulate the period that their typical conditions are likely; I would shorten the two transitionary seasons of spring and autumn to encapsulate the period of unique weather that wouldn't fit into the two main seasons.

For example, Summer and Winter is the land and Spring and Autumn is the bridges that link the two. The land is larger than the bridges.

So, my new look Seasons would be:

Winter: Mid November - Mid March

Spring: Mid March - Mid May

Summer: Mid May - Mid September

Autumn: Mid September - Mid November

February is definately a winter month to me even mild weather doesnt really bring that proper taste of spring that mid to late march can frequently offer, also although its the lighest winter month it is still dark by 6 pm onwards when most people would like to go out in the evening which they can start to do early evening for abit around mid march onwards and definately once the clocks go forward last sunday morning in March.

I really think the two week freeze we just had is just a taster of Februaries to come in the next 10 to 15 years, to me February is the best winter month due to more daylight but still plenty of cosy darkness, cold ground temps, colder seas around our shores and a sometimes very cold continent.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

March is most definitely not a winter month, at least not here, by a long long shot.

March is lighter, warmer, sunnier and drier than December and brings with it the first warm days of the year. You can even get sunburnt towards the end of March if you try hard enough!

For this area, I think the seasons are more suited to the following periods, judging by the weather here:

Winter - December 15th to February 20th

Spring - February 21st to May 5th

Summer - May 6th to September 20th

Autumn - September 21st to December 14th

Posted

an interesting post-welcome to Net Wx. I shall go and do checks on my March and December stats, there are 14 years or so to 'play' with.

Could you pop your nearest town into your avatar so that we all know where your reports are coming from please?

thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

The reason I include March as more 'winter' then early December at least, is because March is not warm, it is not sunny, snowfall is common, even if it doesn't last long (does snowfall EVER last very long in the UK, regardless of what month it is?) and it's rarely frost free. Since 2000, snowfall in March has been more common then December and far, far more common then November which has been pretty rare since the new millennium. In fact, I can count on one hand how many December's have had note-worthy snow so early in the month over the past 15 years (according to memory): 1 - December 2010.

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy Winters and cool, wet Summers

March is most definitely not a winter month, at least not here, by a long long shot.

March is lighter, warmer, sunnier and drier than December and brings with it the first warm days of the year. You can even get sunburnt towards the end of March if you try hard enough!

For this area, I think the seasons are more suited to the following periods, judging by the weather here:

Winter - December 15th to February 20th

Spring - February 21st to May 5th

Summer - May 6th to September 20th

Autumn - September 21st to December 14th

I realised Summer was a bit longer than winter, but not by two months?

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

In my location the seasons are pretty much spot on weather wise. Nov/March can also bring cold wintery weather here also.

The seasons for the uk on a whole are very well layed out over the year for the type of weather patterns we get.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Well winter down here is usually a carry on of Autumn until about mid December, and the same about Spring usually starting earlier - today is actually a very Spring like day here.

I include most of May as a summer month because more often than not it is a warm month here where we start seeing regular warm temperatures. The average max here is about 18C, which is what some places in Scotland have in mid July!

September for much the same reason, the averages here are about 20C maxes and 12C mins - still summerlike. I have never noticed a 'drop' that you feel when the temperatures suddenly start getting cooler before mid September.

Posted

This is why its silly to label the seasons based on the weather at the time rather than by the date. Early December might be Autumn-like in London on occasion, but on average it most certainly isnt.

Just because the temperature in London in September is similar to parts of Scotland in high summer, doesnt mean it should be called summer. Likewise, if you consider the average temps in winter further north, you might be able to 'argue' that in that sense London doesnt have a winter at all, when obviously it does.

London isnt a particularly good example anyway, as its a pretty unique climate due to urban heat island effects. Hop just outside of the M25 and the mean max temp in May is 15-16C with an average of an airfrost every 1-2 years. Definitely not summerlike!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy Winters and cool, wet Summers

This is why its silly to label the seasons based on the weather at the time rather than by the date. Early December might be Autumn-like in London on occasion, but on average it most certainly isnt.

Just because the temperature in London in September is similar to parts of Scotland in high summer, doesnt mean it should be called summer. Likewise, if you consider the average temps in winter further north, you might be able to 'argue' that in that sense London doesnt have a winter at all, when obviously it does.

London isnt a particularly good example anyway, as its a pretty unique climate due to urban heat island effects. Hop just outside of the M25 and the mean max temp in May is 15-16C with an average of an airfrost every 1-2 years. Definitely not summerlike!

Yes, probably wiser to use examples of places in the southwest such as Plymouth, who have overall milder Winters and cooler Summers than many places in the UK.

Anyway I heard that Summer is longer than Winter in the Northern Hemisphere because we are closer to the sun in Winter but tilted away from it. Apparently, the reverse applies in the Southern Hemisphere.

Edited by Tellow