North West Of England Regional Discussion Thread - Part 3

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Swainclubber and Backtrack have you two finished bickering yet? If not, might I suggest you continue it via pm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

We've had rain that's frozen over after frosts, but in terms of freezing rain events (ie. rain that freezes onto already frozen surfaces instantly) mymemory can't recall of any such events. Now 2 meter high snow drifts, -11'c temps, rime frost across surfaces, frozen canals, etc are obvious yearly ocurrances here in the high Peaks.

are you at altitude?it's likely to be snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

swap the a and the r around

Oh, I had my hunches lol!

I like carpfest though. Could be used to describe some very rainy model runs :)

Swainclubber and Backtrack have you two finished bickering yet? If not, might I suggest you continue it via pm.

Yes, we have finished mam.

Unless he wants to tell me to get a grip again, in which case he'll be the first person to enter my ignore list.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Yes, we have finished mam.

Unless he wants to tell me to get a grip again, in which case he'll be the first person to enter my ignore list.

Wow, you go girlfriend mmm mmm mmm

Posted

Wow, you go girlfriend mmm mmm mmm

;-)

Posted

i'm at 210m (688ft) here but literally a quick 15 minute dash up the hillside and i'm 320m (1050ft) overlooking this part of the Peak District. views are far as Bolton on a good day, with Kinder Scout, the Goyt Valley and Kettleshulme valley 5 miles as a panorama. Obviously i'm also bordering near Shining Tor (Cheshires highest point) which is also in the distance and a good 4 hour trek away on foot. So when it snows here, it's hard to miss amongst the +1000ft summits

Posted

i'm at 210m (688ft) here but literally a quick 15 minute dash up the hillside and i'm 320m (1050ft) overlooking this part of the Peak District. views are far as Bolton on a good day, with Kinder Scout, the Goyt Valley and Kettleshulme valley 5 miles as a panorama. Obviously i'm also bordering near Shining Tor (Cheshires highest point) which is also in the distance and a good 4 hour trek away on foot. So when it snows here, it's hard to miss amongst the +1000ft summits

sounds nice. lovely area is that. winter wonderland coming your way :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

It's 0.4C here in tropical wirral with a stronger southwesterly wind.

Tomorrow the snow will almost certainly turn to rain here, but that is normal for this location.

Also I can verify that I've never seen freezing rain in my life.. it is very rare around here if it has occurred.

Posted

fingers crossed. time to hit the bed for a early start tomorrow morning. If not hiking the hills and chasing the traffic jams around town it'll be around NW and the media outlets to see what's going on. Enjoy it when it comes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

It's 0.4C here in tropical wirral with a stronger southwesterly wind.

Tomorrow the snow will almost certainly turn to rain here, but that is normal for this location.

Also I can verify that I've never seen freezing rain in my life.. it is very rare around here if it has occurred.

I have a feeling I'm going to wake up to 4 degres and lead skies tomorrow but who knows

Posted

We've had rain that's frozen over after frosts, but in terms of freezing rain events (ie. rain that freezes onto already frozen surfaces instantly) my memory can't recall of any such events. Now 2 meter high snow drifts, -11'c temps, rime frost across surfaces, frozen canals, etc are obvious yearly ocurrances here in the high Peaks.

Yeah same here. Can't think of any freezing rain events at all here. Closest to it (like you said) would be last December when it rained then froze over night. That was a scary experience driving on that if thats anything to go by.

I can imagine how dangerous freezing rain actually is as most people would go about their business without much care as to them its just rain and wouldn't think about the freezing aspect of it, till its too late.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Back from ze pub! Interesting everyone talking about snow in the pub, one fella said we're gonna get a foot! ha yeah we'd be so lucky. lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Back from ze pub! Interesting everyone talking about snow in the pub, one fella said we're gonna get a foot! ha yeah we'd be so lucky. lol

Well, he may have been slaughtered but he was definitely talking sense the good man!. Just wish it started Friday evening because I've been stuck in work since 10 when it could easily have been a night off :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Well, he may have been slaughtered but he was definitely talking sense the good man!. Just wish it started Friday evening because I've been stuck in work since 10 when it could easily have been a night off :p

haha well I'll believe it when I see it :p

Posted

It's currently -3.8 with a dew point of -6. I wonder how long it will fall as snow later. I think it will be a quick event here. Maybe two hours. I just hope I get enough to make snowman with the kids!

Posted

its interesting because the radar is clearly showing the precip hit a proverbial brickwall of cold, yet ironically its hardly that cold unlike last weekend...so expect the rain to be in all parts by late afternoon and plenty of rain over eastern areas tonight...this is looking washout if ever i saw it..