• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Awful day here in Wigan , wet dull , cold...watching the Salford game on sky and it has been snowing throughout the first half , yet here a few miles back up the lancs...just Rain :sorry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

iv calmed down abit now but boy was i peed off earlier, its just not fair lol

Posted

You should see Salford rugby's new stadium just a mile from me. Snow on the pitch and snow has been falling during the match, its on Sky Sports 1

I'm just the other side of the ship canal and its still hammering down, intesifying on the back edge

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Well the reason for the freezing rain is that, unsurprisingly, the atmosphere close to the front bringing the snow is saturated. Snow is falling through a depth of cloud, perhaps as much as 15000ft. This is happily falling as snow until it reaches a point about 3000ft above the ground. Then, a milder layer of air is causing the snow flake to thaw into rain.

However, because the air below is below freezing, the rain droplet then turns back to ice, or it becomes ice as it meets the frozen ground.

A look at the temperature profile vertically through the atmosphere reveals more. Below is the forecast for the air above Manchester at 3pm this afternoon. Notice the warm "tongue" of air at around 3000ft. It is this which has caused the snow to turn to rain. But by the time it reaches the surface you can see that temperatures were back below 0C (that's to the left of the highlighted bright blue line).

post-8895-0-20894000-1328382366_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

How do I upload pics on here to show peeps?

BUMP :)

I use photobucket to upload my photos to and then you just copy and paste the image code into the reply box.

http://photobucket.com/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long hot summers and bitterly cold winters with lots of snow

As soon as marginal gets a mention forget snow in merseyside, my new motto lol.

Posted

I use photobucket to upload my photos to and then you just copy and paste the image code into the reply box.

http://photobucket.com/

Much easier way:

Before you make your post, click 'more reply options'

Then at the bottom, attach your file, click add to post and hey presto. There it is. :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm & partly cloudy.

Macclesfield has to be the best place to live if you love Snow as we have a whiteout here in Macc and the roads are Covered in the white stuff and its coming down really Hard.

I Love Macc.

I live in Disley, so technically part of Macclesfield. Well we have a Macclesfield MP, lol. Great location and great snow now. If it was onmly like this in Manchester earlier today :(

I bet Dovestone reservoir will look lovely in the morning.

Posted

Awful day here in Wigan , wet dull , cold...watching the Salford game on sky and it has been snowing throughout the first half , yet here a few miles back up the lancs...just Rain :sorry:

like i said earlier i don't understand the difference as I am the border, perhaps it was due to winter hill hence it's name?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

We are getting a right tonking here at the moment, at least 2 inches now, maybe nearer to 3.

Posted

Looks ok for Tuesday:

Compare this! - Last 120hr FAX for Tue -http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/brack3.gif - To this eve 72hr FAX for Tue! - http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/brack2.gif - and the block wins!

Much colder air undercutting the front this time, instead of the other way around.

So if you can hang on to your snow until Tuesday, you'll probably get a top-up. :)

Edited by Backtrack

Posted

Macclesfield has to be the best place to live if you love Snow as we have a whiteout here in Macc and the roads are Covered in the white stuff and its coming down really Hard.

I Love Macc.

Id say Buxton just about beats us, been a couple of times this winter I've seen cars coming over the tops with snow on when its been dry or raining here. But yeah, Macc is pretty damn good for snow it has to be said.

Posted

Taking a look at the M6 north/south through Cheshire the same issues of the grit just not being able to do its job because of the ground temperature, and the already freezing rain icing over it. Things however flowing more smoothly around the cheshire part of the M6, just that stretch north of Manchester which has seen a couple of accidents and those starting to skid around now.

Looks poor over the M62 it could come to a standstill.

Posted

Just been out in South Manc - was really bad before, icy slushy mess after the sleet/rain - but the layer of snow has actually made it easier to walk on for now.... imagine it being really bad in the morning with temps set to hover around 0.

Such a marginal event with literally a few miles separating the white stuff - interesting period of weather if not entirely great for snow fans.

Edited by Stephen_Mcr

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

it just keeps coing and coming we are talking small drifts now.

incredible

great stuff glad you got the good stuff in the end. shame it's not gonna be for much longer.