Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Of England Regional Discussion - Part 5

A.J

Posted

Not a bad day here, sun trying to shine though a milky sky. Got about an inch of snow on the ground, if only the PPN was heavier yesterday, with the strong wind there would have been some big drifts around. Not sure if I can be bothered sweeping the drive, temperatures at 2.1c, will it melt this afternoon? Or will it melt a bit then freeze tonight making it impossible to shift. Maybe I will go out and clear it.

Anyone reckon there'll be any more chances at frontal snow this week or will we just have a dry easterly?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

So what happened here yesterday exactly? I mean we had the surface temps, we had iceicles all day-yet all we got was frozen rain.

apparently a warm spot at 900HPA.

It meant that snow left the clouds, hit the warm spot and melted to rain, and then hit the cold air where it supercooled, and then hit the ground and froze instantly.

Posted

apparently a warm spot at 900HPA.

It meant that snow left the clouds, hit the warm spot and melted to rain, and then hit the cold air where it supercooled, and then hit the ground and froze instantly.

.........for gods sake..................what was the chances of that happening...anyway it did happen.

Edited by martinj2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Really icy this morning, quite surprised that it actually dropped below freezing

Posted

.........for gods sake..................what was the chances of that happening...anyway it did happen.

happens all the time in america. there is a town in america that is situated on the other side of a mountain range and if it it cold there and warm air comes over the mountains and rains on them they get freezing rain.

happens all the time in america. there is a town in america that is situated on the other side of a mountain range and if it it cold there and warm air comes over the mountains and rains on them they get freezing rain.

a lot worse than we had. powerlines down and cars look like this

http://www.kidsgeo.com/images/freezing-rain.jpg

Posted

a lot worse than we had. powerlines down and cars look like this

http://www.kidsgeo.c...eezing-rain.jpg

Jeez..............looks like an Ice storm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Balmy old day at 6.1C - minimum after midnight last night 2.6C

Posted

Jeez..............looks like an Ice storm

a lot worse. when we get snowd in we can get our house keys out of the car god help him. how do they get the house keys :lol:

it been known to bring planes down too

funnily enough snow is made in the same way as freezing rain.

Tiny droplets of moisture super cool and when they bump into each other they freeze instantly. as the other moisture droplets tuch the already frozen flakes they get bigger and bigger till they hit the ground as snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Not a bad day here, sun trying to shine though a milky sky. Got about an inch of snow on the ground, if only the PPN was heavier yesterday, with the strong wind there would have been some big drifts around. Not sure if I can be bothered sweeping the drive, temperatures at 2.1c, will it melt this afternoon? Or will it melt a bit then freeze tonight making it impossible to shift. Maybe I will go out and clear it.

Anyone reckon there'll be any more chances at frontal snow this week or will we just have a dry easterly?

Damianslaw had 10cm of snowfall in Windermere, south east Cumbria received the heaviest falls yesterday and my friends have been making me jealous by posting pictures on Facebook from around the Kendal area LOL.

Sunny spells here, ice melting and the current temp is 3.9c.

Not sure about any more frontal snow this week it doesn't look as likely at this stage, I'd say dry and frosty after midweek. Anyway I don't want anymore rain!!

Edited by Liam J

Posted

a lot worse. when we get snowd in we can get our house keys out of the car god help him. how do they get the house keys :lol:

it been known to bring planes down too

funnily enough snow is made in the same way as freezing rain.

Tiny droplets of moisture super cool and when they bump into each other they freeze instantly. as the other moisture droplets tuch the already frozen flakes they get bigger and bigger till they hit the ground as snow.

The power of ice! Helped bring down Air France 447 when supercooled water lodged in the pitot tubes of A330 at 35000ft.

Computer was then getting false airspeed readings,switched off and plane goes into unrecovered stall.

Posted

As you can probably guess, its very foggy here too. I was going to go for a walk this morning but there doesn't look much point if you can't see anything. Unless some of the hills are above it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

mental........http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-16889200