Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Of England Regional Discussion - Part 5

A.J

Posted

Apart from me that has to go and dig my car out! Should have taken the landrover

Haha, my mums got to go into work tomorrow morning, fortunately we all drive land rovers, parents have a Freelander, I have a Defender. I might have to skip on my lie in and have to drive, it all depends how brave she is feeling :lol: .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Looks ok for Tuesday:

. :)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

i admire your optimism....i've given up now , roll on spring

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

The top 4 posters of the day so far are the ones that have no snow, excluding Happy Days.

post-9615-0-85820700-1328386740_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

all ppn now stopped

night all :) been an interesting day

been fun. night mate.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Hope it will clear and we get a sharp frost, are we forecast to get a frost?

Posted

Just came back from a Walk really bad, cars have been abanded and cars skidding evreywhere. Wonder if it will ice over.

Posted

Well according to the models we are in for the long haul for cold, so that means more days like today I guess. Now isn't that exciting fellow NW's.

Edited by Seven of Nine

Posted

Hello again,

Are we expected to get another shot at getting snow this week I would really like to see proper snow next time not this freezing rain and ice pellets what would be the best chance of that occuring?

Luke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

i admire your optimism....i've given up now , roll on spring

This month could easily have a sub-zero CET.

Our time WILL come this month.

Hope it will clear and we get a sharp frost, are we forecast to get a frost?

Yep

Hello again,

Are we expected to get another shot at getting snow this week I would really like to see proper snow next time not this freezing rain and ice pellets what would be the best chance of that occuring?

Luke

Low chance on Tues/Wednes, other than that, it's going to be a mid-month job when we see warmer air advecting over Greenland promoting Northern blocking.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Be a slow thaw now but should start getting colder again tues so any bit left should last the week.

only bumber is the rain for monday.

Okie dokie, well not too bad then at least it isn't mild atlantic weather all the way.

Been outside to measure, bit trickey as it's drifted quite a bit! average depths 10-12cm with drifts upto 25cm! I think we've done very well! :D

Hopefully it won't have thawed much by tomorrow so I can take some pictures.

Posted

Loads of snow fell after about 6.30pm here, now all stopped, no dripping evident, but wind has dropped so feels milder. I just want it to last until tomorrow morning to take some pics and take the dogs out for a play.

Posted

This month could easily have a sub-zero CET.

Our time WILL come this month.

Yep

Low chance on Tues/Wednes, other than that, it's going to be a mid-month job when we see warmer air advecting over Greenland promoting Northern blocking.

Hi BT,

Just posted as I was feeling a bit despondent today after no snow came at all - but on a positive note do you think that the upcoming spell has the potenial to exceed December 2010 - if you look at some places (e.g. Benelux countries) they are even colder now than in 2010 and the last time they had temps like they have had over the last few days must have been 1947 and 1963 surely? I know they are normally a bit colder than us in this sort of synoptical setup - but the cold they are getting in Germany/Benelux is rare to very rare even by the standards of thier more contiental climate - so I think that the worst of the cold could still be to come?

Luke

Posted

Still got a horrible feeling in my stomach.

It's so painful to look at XC weather and see all those snow symbols. I cannot help but think we got cheated BIG TIME. Feel like crying. :(

Edited by Backtrack

Hello again,

Luke

I think BT is right luke pretty much your main chance will come mid month from a posible greeny high if it comes off but i have to be honest with you,liverpool/blackpool/cumbria etc on the west coast are in a really bad spot for cold and snow i was amazed the last time u got hammered on the coast imo its a one in ten year event liverpool getting snowed in.

I know its not what you want to hear but you can see again today what being near the irish sea means.

Posted

Hi BT,

Just posted as I was feeling a bit despondent today after no snow came at all - but on a positive note do you think that the upcoming spell has the potenial to exceed December 2010 - if you look at some places (e.g. Benelux countries) they are even colder now than in 2010 and the last time they had temps like they have had over the last few days must have been 1947 and 1963 surely? I know they are normally a bit colder than us in this sort of synoptical setup - but the cold they are getting in Germany/Benelux is rare to very rare even by the standards of thier more contiental climate - so I think that the worst of the cold could still be to come?

Luke

Hey Luke.

I can't remember the continental temperatures in December 2010, but yes, this cold spell is a record breaker for most of Europe. Temperatures are dipping as low as -42C in Scandinavia, it's not positive though, far from it. Many people have died in the cold!

I feel very cheated by this cold spell Luke, and I'm not happy at all.

Sorry for the short reply, I'm in a very bad mood.

Posted

Hey Luke.

I can't remember the continental temperatures in December 2010, but yes, this cold spell is a record breaker for most of Europe. Temperatures are dipping as low as -42C in Scandinavia, it's not positive though, far from it. Many people have died in the cold!

I feel very cheated by this cold spell Luke, and I'm not happy at all.

Sorry for the short reply, I'm in a very bad mood.

OK BT, as you have said - I understand how you are feeling I know that even Rome and Nice in the Med have had snow - Nice of the south coast of france too - that must be near a 1 in 50 or even 1 in 100 year event surely snow on the beach in the south of France is exceedingly rare - but if we do get a sub zero CET February I am shaw we will get our fair share of snow and severe frosts (-10C temperatures) - so I am sure it will come. Some of the synoptics across Europe at the moment look similar to 1947 do you think too?

Luke

Posted

Still got a horrible feeling in my stomach.

It's so painful to look at XC weather and see all those snow symbols. I cannot help but think we got cheated BIG TIME. Feel like crying. :(

lol I'm disappointed and theres 8-15cm here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Skies are totally clear, now why couldn't it have just stayed clear all day instead chucking it with rain! Grrrr... I'd rather forget today!

1.9c here so things could get interesting if all the rain water freezes.

15cm of snow at Scarborough. :sorry:

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Sub-zero CETs occur on average every 25 years. They take staggering synoptics. It requires every day or at least 95% of days to be below average, with some extremely cold days. I think even with greenland blocking and a digging trough for around 10-15 days, even with an iceland-scandi ridge consuming some of the time, a sub 2c CET would be quite impressive. 2c to 3c would most likely be the landing range, possibly a bit lower if the block is more prolonged :)

Posted

Amazing the difference a few miles makes. 1 mile east of central Manchester in Gorton the snow was 3" deep coming out of the Etihad stadium earlier this evening. 4 miles south of the centre in Chorlton theres just a thin layer of slush. Some of the higher areas in East M/cr and Tameside must have got a real pasting.

Edited by Sun dog