Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Of England Regional Discussion - Part 5

A.J

Posted

A north westerly streamer from the Irish Sea gave a foot of snow here two winters ago. Today was pretty decent, a good 8cm's or so but it was mostly a 'snizzle' affair although there was a late surge of heavier snowfall towards the end of the snow band. I hope before the winter's finished with we have a classic north westerly on the right side of marginal that gives snow even to the coasts.

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Back down to 0.0c here under clear skies, it won't last all night because that cloud is fast approaching from the west.

Posted

Love how silent it becomes outside at night when it snows........until you get the local dipstick trying to drift his car around a corner, and failing in the process...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

1.4C max, now 0.3C under cloudy skies.

Coastal areas rising drastically thanks to a westerly element to the wind, bringing milder air in off the sea.

Posted

The video is to long but worth a look, added a few days ago by a guy in Poland using boiling water straight from the kettle and showing how it freezes instantly and vaporises @ -30c

-0.1c here :)

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Temp still at -1c here on the coast, not rising here at all. Didn't rise above 1c all yesterday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

-2 in Oldham east, that is under clear sky's with clould incoming on horizon. Would have thought with clear sky's and thick snow cover temps would have been lower. Going to need the lowest possible surface temps if any stray ppn does happen to pass over in the next few days otherwise even I would be looking at rain. Looks like staying rather dry and coldish at the surface for the foreseeable though.

Edited by Snowmad79

Posted

Looking quite dangerous out there, -2c and a thick covering of ice everywhere from yesterdays joys. A rather boring week coming up weather wise, mostly dry with night time frosts and daytime temps around 3-6c for many I would say. The projected height rises over Greenland seemed to have been put back also, now there's a surprise eh.

Edited by Seven of Nine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

got down to -2 last night now 0.4. Drip Drip Drip

When the next event :lol:

Posted

Surfaces covered with thick ice, very dangerous. -0.7c last night, currently 1.7c with cloud cover. Rain later this afternoon likely.

Posted

got down to -2 last night now 0.4. Drip Drip Drip

When the next event :lol:

Not this week that's for sure,and by the time heights over Greenland take hold, we'll be approaching the end of the month before we see any opportunities arise.

Posted

Surfaces covered with thick ice, very dangerous. -0.7c last night, currently 1.7c with cloud cover. Rain later this afternoon likely.

True seems worse this morning that nals night.

My only concern is it has been so cold for days now the soil is frozen solid and there is frozen rain on top. This will melt but might not soak away as the ground is still solid

Posted

Models to me dont look like much cop for me in my area, wales, south west and cumbria. To my inexperienced eye i dont see -5 850's return to the uk proper untill +60 and thats really East/south East and central at a push. ECM its at +144 and covers much more of the country, briefly. However it also appears to be dry. If were looking at trends, then i would say the trend is not to push the cold air we saw on the 12z yesterday back into the uk.

I really do think that this is it for us. God i hope im wrong

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Temp on the rise here, 2.1c and rising, can see the snow starting to melt off trees etc. Visible signs of a slight thaw kicking in :help:

Posted

Still below freezing here, thick fog and no sign of any dripping at the moment and snow cover remains everywhere.

Posted
  • Location: Settle in the Yorkshire Dales at 145m asl North Ribblesdale
  • Location: Settle in the Yorkshire Dales at 145m asl North Ribblesdale

will this fog clear soon

Did you get much Snow in buxton mate?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm & partly cloudy.

I live near Buxton, about 20 mins away or so. But still in excellent poition for snow, and yes got a few inches. Was hoping for a photography day up Chinley/Cracken EDdge as the views are brilliant, but would be wrecked by fog :(

Posted

i hate fog. it is utterly pointless.

i can think of other things that are utterly pointless.