Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Of England Regional Discussion - Part 5

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more SNOW :D

Just driving up the m61 just passing rivington... There bout an inch of snow but the sky is the most vivid orange I have ever seen it.... Looks quite scary tbh!!!

Posted

I'm going out snow hunting tomorrow anyway so all will be well for a time at least.

Haven't exactly made up my mind on the optimum place nearby to go yet but I'm sure I'll find somewhere, it's simply a matter of looking east lol.

Edited by Anonymous21

Posted

BREAKING - M1 Derbyshire - Two lanes closed on M1 in both directions between J28, A38 (Alfreton) and J27, A608 (Hucknall), because of snow.

Also no trains running due to signal failure between Derby and Matlock.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

It must be very impressive on the Yorkshire coast with winds gusting between 40-50mph with an air temp of -2.0c and blowing snow.... At sea level. :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

OK BT, as you have said - I understand how you are feeling I know that even Rome and Nice in the Med have had snow - Nice of the south coast of france too - that must be near a 1 in 50 or even 1 in 100 year event surely snow on the beach in the south of France is exceedingly rare - but if we do get a sub zero CET February I am shaw we will get our fair share of snow and severe frosts (-10C temperatures) - so I am sure it will come. Some of the synoptics across Europe at the moment look similar to 1947 do you think too?

Luke

No idea mate sorry, I don't generally look back in history to do a comparison of events. I know if Feb 91 and 96, that's it. :lol:

On a positive note:

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/ECMWF_12z/hgtcomp.html

There is broad agreement for higher than normal pressure over Greenland during February = Northern blocking, with the GFS still going for higher than usual pressure over Scandi/Russia. Should these be accurate, we can expect February to be an exceptionally cold month, dominated by Northerlies & Easterlies. Generally pants for our region in terms of snowfall again, but we should see at least one epic battleground, better than the borefest of today.

Posted

Why?

Accumulation charts were showing 15-19mm round these parts. Thats around 20cm of lying snow.

Posted

lol I'm disappointed and theres 8-15cm here.

But that's just greedy.....................................................

Posted

No idea mate sorry, I don't generally look back in history to do a comparison of events. I know if Feb 91 and 96, that's it. :lol:

On a positive note:

http://www.meteo.psu...2z/hgtcomp.html

There is broad agreement for higher than normal pressure over Greenland during February = Northern blocking, with the GFS still going for higher than usual pressure over Scandi/Russia. Should these be accurate, we can expect February to be an exceptionally cold month, dominated by Northerlies & Easterlies. Generally pants for our region in terms of snowfall again, but we should see at least one epic battleground, better than the borefest of today.

Sounds more promising to me - but sometimes an Easterly can deliver for this part of the world but not very often so that could be a possibility too - and we would not have to worry about marginality with the air being so cold from that direction - it could give us at least a few cm to keep around so we can get some low night time minima - do you forsee low minima this coming week like -6 or -7C that would be good. I do want my snow fix though - I am not being greedy - if this continues we could see most of Europe get snow - except - you guessed it - Ireland and the western part of NW England were we our LOL!

Luke

Posted

BuxtonWeather

--Status Report on February 4th @ 21.40 - The snow has stopped n Buxton right now - all roads are severely snow affected - 10 cm of snow on the ground at this height level - more at higher levels. LATEST MESSAGE TODAY "All roads in this area - even in central Buxton are near impassable - lorries and busses stuck even on the main streets in town - outside of Buxton is a no go area!" Thank you David Hilton @ 20.25

Posted

Why are you all caravaning so much? This cold spell is far from over imo. Be pateient. I think we've become overly expectant of snow thanks to the last 3 winters which is silly. That being said, I do believe Feb '12 has more up its sleeve!

Posted

clouds breaking up now,was 0.7 now 0.0c trend is falling.

back up to 0.7c,going bed,night night.

Edited by carl1980

Posted

I think BT is right luke pretty much your main chance will come mid month from a posible greeny high if it comes off but i have to be honest with you,liverpool/blackpool/cumbria etc on the west coast are in a really bad spot for cold and snow i was amazed the last time u got hammered on the coast imo its a one in ten year event liverpool getting snowed in.

I know its not what you want to hear but you can see again today what being near the irish sea means.

Did you read my post before? The Irish Sea isn't that big a factor when it comes to battleground events - the problem today was that it took place too far east. We still had the surface cold but were lacking the sufficient cold uppers, hence the freezing rain.

And getting "snowed in" (heavy snowfall I presume) is not a one-in-ten year event in Liverpool. It's not exactly common, but then neither are setups like today's - that's why I called it such a wasted opportunity.

Humbug.

Edited by AderynCoch

Posted

Sounds more promising to me - but sometimes an Easterly can deliver for this part of the world but not very often so that could be a possibility too - and we would not have to worry about marginality with the air being so cold from that direction - it could give us at least a few cm to keep around so we can get some low night time minima - do you forsee low minima this coming week like -6 or -7C that would be good. I do want my snow fix though - I am not being greedy - if this continues we could see most of Europe get snow - except - you guessed it - Ireland and the western part of NW England were we our LOL!

Luke

Easterlies rarely deliver due to a) The Pennines blocking any precipitation on a strong flow (usually) (b: A lack of precipitation on a slack flow due to the dryness of continental air.

There are times when they have delivered though, December 2011 a good example?

Yes, next week has the potential to see us dip as low as the week just gone, perhaps lower. Looking forward to it despite the lack of snow in the forecasts, I am hoping for a decent battleground mid-week that actually delivers for us in the west of the region.

Edited by Backtrack

Posted

Good to see it getting colder.

Still need my snow fix though especially when quite a few other places have either had snow or getting snow - I want our time to come for a good covering here in Liverpool. Yes it was disappointing getting no snow at all but the freezing rain was interesting - on the plus side I would imagine that is less common than snow here.

Luke

Posted

Easterlies rarely deliver due to a) The Pennines blocking any precipitation on a strong flow (usually) B) A lack of precipitation on a slack flow due to the dryness of continental air.

Actually putting my historical hat on, I find that from my location that I often see at least a little bit of snow on an easterly. Even the easterly just gone I saw a little bit of snow which actually stuck Tuesday morning. In a recent post, I gave a list of occasions when I saw snow on an easterly.

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted

Actually putting my historical hat on, I find that from my location that I often see at least a little bit of snow on an easterly. Even the easterly just gone I saw a little bit of snow which actually stuck Tuesday morning. In a recent post, I gave a list of occasions when I saw snow on an easterly.

The East of the region does tend to get flurries sometimes floating over the Pennines yes, but nothing substantial, usually.

Posted

Accumulation charts were showing 15-19mm round these parts. Thats around 20cm of lying snow.

You are clearly taking the pee! :nea: I certainly wouldn't complain at the amounts *we* got today compared to the unlucky ones on here...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

0.9c here with some surfaces turning icy and the rain water has frozen on my car. Wondering if the cloud out west associated with the current weather system will be pulled over the the region overnight?

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Hey Luke.

I can't remember the continental temperatures in December 2010, but yes, this cold spell is a record breaker for most of Europe. Temperatures are dipping as low as -42C in Scandinavia, it's not positive though, far from it. Many people have died in the cold!

I feel very cheated by this cold spell Luke, and I'm not happy at all.

Sorry for the short reply, I'm in a very bad mood.

I have friends in Sweden(SW), i recieved a text from one this morning who said it was -20c at 8.00am