Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Of England Regional Discussion - Part 5

A.J

Posted

The East of the region does tend to get flurries sometimes floating over the Pennines yes, but nothing substantial, usually.

I'm sorry but that is just wrong. All my deepest snow has come from an easterly and not rogue flurries. I am talking of snow depths upwards of 8 inches which apart from the last two years and the comd zonal years in the eighties have all come from easterlies normally from channel lows or troughs forming over the Pennines or even showers travelling across the country

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

I have friends in Sweden(SW), i recieved a text from one this morning who said it was -20c at 8.00am

Ouch, that's painfully low!

I asked John homes what the chances were of snow in our region over the next week or so, he replied the following:

the T+120 Fax suggests a marked cold trough over the contient swinging west, that might give you a band of showery snow around T+144-160 sometime. Oherwise flows off the east coast are not usually very good for snow.

Beyond next week who knows-it MIGHT turn more northerly and that MIGHT have troughs in it.

Its not going to be beach waether that is for sure for this month!

I'm sorry but that is just wrong. All my deepest snow has come from an easterly and not rogue flurries. I am talking of snow depths upwards of 8 inches which apart from the last two years and the comd zonal years in the eighties have all come from easterlies normally from channel lows or troughs forming over the Pennines or even showers travelling across the country

You're 100% the exception to the region, you're in the snowiest part, so around for 70% of the region, my statement stands.

Edited by Backtrack

Posted

Time for a warm bed and some family guy before another day of snow, this time photographing the stuff than looking at pixel colors on the PC screen :smilz38: night all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

I asked John homes what the chances were of snow in our region over the next week or so, he replied the following:

the T+120 Fax suggests a marked cold trough over the contient swinging west, that might give you a band of showery snow around T+144-160 sometime. Oherwise flows off the east coast are not usually very good for snow.

Beyond next week who knows-it MIGHT turn more northerly and that MIGHT have troughs in it.

Maybe , but i would like it here ...in 1988 i went skiing in sweden(about a third of the way up the country) and the temp dropped to -27c which is the coldest i have ever been in, to be honest it was cold but also exciting so i don't really remember it being painful.

Posted

You're 100% the exception to the region, you're in the snowiest part, so around for 70% of the region, my statement stands.

Yeah accept that!

Posted

Maybe , but i would like it here ...in 1988 i went skiing in sweden(about a third of the way up the country) and the temp dropped to -27c which is the coldest i have ever been in, to be honest it was cold but also exciting so i don't really remember it being painful.

I wouldn't mind a couple of night of -20C, but once you get past 2 nights, it starts to get dangerous.

-10C is fine though. :D

Coldest I've ever been in is -12C in Warrington & Manchester last December (2010)

Edited by Backtrack

Posted

I wouldn't mind a couple of night of -20C, but once you get past 2 nights, it starts to get dangerous.

Coldest I've ever been in is -12C in Warrington & Manchester last December (2010)

Yes that was good it was about -11 were I live all frozen up - what is your temp now btw it is clear now will we be below freezing soon? I do want a cold February possibly record breaking but on the model thread they are saying that the latest GFS run has gone a bit pear shaped - come on - we need our snow not just for me but for you - as I know you are more mad on snow than me! Maybe a quick flight on Easyjet over to Amsterdam or Nice would be a good thing if you want snow and bitterly cold temps!

Also BT, do you want to chat with me in the chat room?

Edited by lukemc

Posted

Yes that was good it was about -11 were I live all frozen up - what is your temp now btw it is clear now will we be below freezing soon? I do want a cold February possibly record breaking but on the model thread they are saying that the latest GFS run has gone a bit pear shaped - come on - we need our snow not just for me but for you - as I know you are more mad on snow than me! Maybe a quick flight on Easyjet over to Amsterdam or Nice would be a good thing if you want snow and bitterly cold temps!

Still cloudy here, 0.9C. Should dip to -2C/-3C tonight.

Yes, I'm more snow mad than anyone :crazy::D

Amsterdam?! Full of pot smoking commoners, no thanks, I'd go to Siberia. :D

Just logged into chat Luke.

Posted

Still cloudy here, 0.9C. Should dip to -2C/-3C tonight.

Yes, I'm more snow mad than anyone :crazy::D

Amsterdam?! Full of pot smoking commoners, no thanks, I'd go to Siberia. :D

I could see the moon outside about 30 minutes ago - yes it was pretty clear from what I saw. I think Siberia would be a bit too cold for you though! Another cold few weeks coming up, that is, if the GFS 18z op run is not right according to some - but I would not even say the FI on that run is mild!

To get the cold and snow, maybe they need to move Liverpool and Runcorn 300 miles further east LOL!

Luke

Posted

I was in Lake Louise and Jasper/Banff in Canada two weeks ago and we got down to -32c during the day and -39c at night with wind chill brought it down to -45c.

The first real snow and cold for Alberta and the Canadians were complaining of the cold!! 5mins outside and your face goes white and 10mins meant frost bite.

I got what is called frost nip on 4 toes which is still slightly painfull but getting better. -11 is cold here but lets not go lower!!

Posted

I could see the moon outside about 30 minutes ago - yes it was pretty clear from what I saw. I think Siberia would be a bit too cold for you though! Another cold few weeks coming up, that is, if the GFS 18z op run is not right according to some - but I would not even say the FI on that run is mild!

To get the cold and snow, maybe they need to move Liverpool and Runcorn 300 miles further east LOL!

Luke

Cloud will thin and clear eventually.

No where is too cold for Backtrack!!! :D

I usually don't pay attention to the pub run mate, it has the second lowest verification rate: 4th: 06z, 3rd: 18z, 2nd: 00z, 1st: 12z.

Yes, Liverpool & Runcorn further East please!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Wow nodded off and woke up to find that heavy ppn did pay off. Plastered thick in white stuff, easily 10-15cm deep lying

http://www.blogtv.com/people/snowmad79

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Look at these current temperatures over Russia, some locations are -30c to -40c :cold: :cold: :cold:

http://www.wundergro.../global/RS.html

0.5c here, positively balmy!

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

So, what was the final picture in the NW? I know most of eastern Cumbria had a decent fall, but what about everybody else? I was supposed to be meeting relatives from Warrington in Shap tomorrow, so I'd like to know what sort of conditions they would have to face travelling up.

I think I'll cry off, but on the other hand I'd like to see the snow in Shap as we've only got an inch here. :(

Edited by alza

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Freezing rain for most of the day here alza

Edited by Lancashire Lass

Posted

we had around 2 inch here in denton, near hyde, tameside.

been out to try my snow chains for my boots out, they were brill, only £3 from the famous auction site

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Easterlies rarely deliver due to a) The Pennines blocking any precipitation on a strong flow (usually) (b: A lack of precipitation on a slack flow due to the dryness of continental air.

There are times when they have delivered though, December 2011 a good example?

Yes, next week has the potential to see us dip as low as the week just gone, perhaps lower. Looking forward to it despite the lack of snow in the forecasts, I am hoping for a decent battleground mid-week that actually delivers for us in the west of the region.

This was more of a streamer from the NW.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Look at these current temperatures over Russia, some locations are -30c to -40c :cold: :cold: :cold:

Hope this copy and paste works but check this out , Kiruna in Northern Sweden , a max of -29c in the last 24hrs :help: :help:

http://weather.noaa....rrent/ESNQ.html

Edited by Spurry

Posted

So, what was the final picture in the NW? I know most of eastern Cumbria had a decent fall, but what about everybody else? I was supposed to be meeting relatives from Warrington in Shap tomorrow, so I'd like to know what sort of conditions they would have to face travelling up.

I think I'll cry off, but on the other hand I'd like to see the snow in Shap as we've only got an inch here. :(

I think the A6 over Shap has stayed open all evening and the M6 is fine, so I wouldn't worry about travelling tomorrow, unless you decided to head over the Alston route which I imagine will be very icy first thing..

I'm surprised most of the roads have stayed open in the Lakes , only Kirkstone Pass is closed on the Windermere side and the struggle. The A684 and A685 have remained open despite the good pounding they took late in the afternoon.

Posted

You missed the coldest ones, 4 places -50c and below! :cold:

Found these on another forum I use from someone in Finland.

And you know when the Finnish can't deal with cold and snow, we have no chance. (some strong language by the way)

http://hs11.snstatic...54830614?ts=711

Anyway back to our weather, wheres this clear sky gone? Very cloudy here still.

Edited by Martin M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

-18 chill - Helvellyn a few times - cold enough for your water bottle to turn to slush in your rucksack.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Hope this copy and paste works but check this out , Kiruna in Northern Sweden , a max of -29c in the last 24hrs :help: :help:

http://weather.noaa....rrent/ESNQ.html

Not a bad winters day hey, a high of -30c LMAO exceptionally cold and check out the dew points, nearly -40c! :cold: :cold: :help: :help:

Posted

Wow, my temperature has just shot up from 1.2c to 3.3c in the space of 5 mins! Its still rising and this is under clear skies. I'm thinking a change in wind direction bringing the warmth of the irish sea?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

I think the A6 over Shap has stayed open all evening and the M6 is fine, so I wouldn't worry about travelling tomorrow, unless you decided to head over the Alston route which I imagine will be very icy first thing..

I'm surprised most of the roads have stayed open in the Lakes , only Kirkstone Pass is closed on the Windermere side and the struggle. The A684 and A685 have remained open despite the good pounding they took late in the afternoon.

Ok I'll consider it, but these relatives are in their 70s so I doubt they'll want to travel into snow. Also, the roads are terrible around here this evening - I actually witnessed a neighbour crash into his garage door this evening as there is a thick layer of ice beneath the snow.