Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Very Cold Weather Last Night

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold & dry or cold & snow but definitely not oppresive heat and humidity

I see Martin and Timberland villages in Lincs are down to -10.6C already.

Edited by NPUK

Posted

My lowest was -10.9c. The record is a slightly dubious -11.7c December 2010, it could have been a misreading as it was only -9c up until 6AM...but I accept it.

Before last night my lowest was -9.4, 20 December 2010. Reading University recorded -9.3 that night so I don't think my reading was far off. In general this location is slightly warmer than most of the area at night because of the urban heat island effect (it's typically 0.5 deg C warmer than the university but this varies), but it's very low lying and sheltered here so an occasional extreme isn't surprising if the wind is calm. My thermometer is in the open at about 1.3 metres above ground, so not strictly standard, of course.

The recorded extreme for Reading is -14.5 in January 1982, presumably measured at the university.

Could get close to -10 again tonight - already -4.6 and no sign of any cloud (or wind) here yet.

Edited by Stargazer

Posted

I am very near Cavendish which has already been mentioned so I don't dispute my reading taken this morning at 7.25am. -16.9c is most definately the coldest temperature I have experienced in the UK.

post-703-0-65969300-1328990816_thumb.jpg

Posted

Last nights temps were a turn up for the books. Really wasn't expecting lows below -15 degrees. Must have been the combination of clear skies and snow cover and no wind which enabled such low temps to be recorded in such a wide area. Uppers were not that cold last night - so it was quite a remarkable evening.

A marked NW-SE split as well. Here we only got down to -2 degrees or thereabouts thanks to much more cloud.

Posted

Down to -6.1°C again last night, which doesn't sound extreme in comparison to other locations, but remembering this is the is South coast, we just don't get temps that low 2 miles inland normally!