Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The North Of England Regional Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Pouring with rain again tonight although not as heavy as it was this time yesterday, the rivers and lakes haven't had any time to reduce today so any more rain atm is just to much for the water table to cope with.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I heard a report of someone in lower area about 5 miles NE of Preston who recorded "3 inches".

A relative with reliable kit and AWS observations who lives 2 miles east of Carnforth (N of Lancaster) said he had "70.5mm in 24 hours".

Further north, another relative in S.Lakeland, between Kendal and Windermere, picked up 42.2mm at 10BST this morning for previous 24hrs.

The rain episode started here abut 5am on Friday. At 10 BST there was 17.1mm already in the daily gauge, but some would have fallen at various times in showers in the previous 24hrs. To judge from the reading on our old Dines autographic gauge on the same site, about 13mm had fallen between 5am and the official 10BST pickup time. Thereafter followed non-stop rain till evening. So for here 13.0 + 72.4 = 85.4mm for the whole event.

The Environment Agency keep an elecronic tipper here also. I'll request a print out when staff visit to download.

I'd expect places on the western upslopes of Bowland and Rossendale would have had similar or greater amounts. Likewise higher places east of here.

Seems the OlympicTorch tour on Friday was in the thick of it.

Thanks again. I love the fact you have relatives scattered around the area and all of them have rain gauges, testament I feel to the amount of rain you get in that area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

A Family of weather Geeks, Enthusiasts, wowgood.gif , me and my dad are weather fans but no-one else, they all think i'm madsorry.gif

Edited by Spurry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Some heavy thundery showers passing over the south of our region this afternoon. Heard thunder in Newcastle earlier and looks like another cell has popped up just to the north of Newcastle..

Posted

Thunder in South Shields now...

Posted

Torrential downpour here for last 10 mins the roads are like rivers now and a few rumbles of thunder heard..

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

Thanks again. I love the fact you have relatives scattered around the area and all of them have rain gauges, testament I feel to the amount of rain you get in that area.

It's a sad wet life in NW England. Someone has to volunteer to watch the rain and there's not much else to talk about.. Nice when it stops though. Like today. Bright and shiny and well washed..

Posted

A Family of weather Geeks, Enthusiasts, wowgood.gif , me and my dad are weather fans but no-one else, they all think i'm madsorry.gif

Spurry, we must be mad to live up here in the NW! Surprisingly, not yet rotted. Been here nearly 50 yrs and elsewhere in Lancs many generations before that.

Grand day now and drying out well, though bowled some big looking clouds across to Yorks in the early afternoon.

Posted

BBc Weather Lighter winds today yeah right its got Stonger as the days gone on here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Thunder, Snow, Thundersnow, Hail, Sunshine, Rainbows

Heavy showers still moving over Peterlee, no thunder heard though.

Posted

Stats from the Met office :

Five wettest on Friday

• Blencathra, Cumbria - 93.8mm rainfall (3.6in)
  • Keswick, Cumbria - 88.6mm (3.4in)
  • Stonyhurst, Lancs - 74.4mm (2.9in)
  • Levens Hall, Cumbria - 58.2mm (2.3in)
  • Morecambe, Lancs - 57mm (2.2in)

Rainfall in the Preston area was the heaviest, for such a short period, that has been seen for many years . The Ribble burst its banks at Walton Le Dale, Penwortham and Samelsbury, with bridges being closed from Friday afternoon for around 6 hours. The river Darwen burst its banks again near Preston, Croston flooded, there were numerous trees down on Saturday morning. There was also flooding in Chorley, Wigan and Darwen from rivers and brooks.

Here are some river level readings taken from the EA website :

The river level at Croston is 2.61 metres.This measurement was recorded at 20:30 on 22/06/2012.

The typical river level range for this location is between 0.23 metres and 1.00 metres.

The highest river level recorded at this location is 2.94 metres and the river level reached 2.21 metres on 21/01/2008.

The river level at Walton-Le-Dale is 4.79 metres.This measurement was recorded at 23:15 on 22/06/2012.

The typical river level range for this location is between 0.15 metres and 3.00 metres.

The highest river level recorded at this location is 4.61 metres and the river level reached 4.61 metres on 21/01/2008.

The river level at Blue Bridge is 3.35 metres. This measurement was recorded at 23:15 on 22/06/2012.

The typical river level range for this location is between 0.27 metres and 1.55 metres.

The highest river level recorded at this location is 2.75 metres and the river level reached 2.74 metres on 21/01/2008. (On the Ribble)

Just gives you an idea of the amounts of rainfall that came down and the effects on the river levels. I'd no idea until i looked how high some of the rivers actually got. Its June not October !!

Edited by Snow free zone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Five wettest on Friday

Rainfall in the Preston area was the heaviest, for such a short period, that has been seen for many years . The Ribble burst its banks at Walton Le Dale, Penwortham and Samelsbury, with bridges being closed from Friday afternoon for around 6 hours. The river Darwen burst its banks again near Preston, Croston flooded, there were numerous trees down on Saturday morning. There was also flooding in Chorley, Wigan and Darwen from rivers and brooks.

The river level at Croston is 2.61 metres.This measurement was recorded at 20:30 on 22/06/2012.

The typical river level range for this location is between 0.23 metres and 1.00 metres.

The highest river level recorded at this location is 2.94 metres and the river level reached 2.21 metres on 21/01/2008.

The river level at Walton-Le-Dale is 4.79 metres.This measurement was recorded at 23:15 on 22/06/2012.

The typical river level range for this location is between 0.15 metres and 3.00 metres.

The highest river level recorded at this location is 4.61 metres and the river level reached 4.61 metres on 21/01/2008.

The river level at Blue Bridge is 3.35 metres. This measurement was recorded at 23:15 on 22/06/2012.

The typical river level range for this location is between 0.27 metres and 1.55 metres.

The highest river level recorded at this location is 2.75 metres and the river level reached 2.74 metres on 21/01/2008. (On the Ribble)

Just gives you an idea of the amounts of rainfall that came down and the effects on the river levels. I'd no idea until i looked how high some of the rivers actually got. Its June not October !!

Yep never seen the River Ribble so high. It was low tide when I was in Walton Le Dale on Sat but the water level was still very high. You could see where it had been previously due to the water line on the battered banks. Lots of people evacuated from properties in Lower Penwortham also. Crazy stuff, never known anything like it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Hope everyone is well apart from the lousy weather. smile.png

Posted

Five wettest on Friday

Thanls for these notes. Very interesting.

I wonder if the Met Office data you quote is for Friday only, or for their rain recorders "day" which would normally start /end 9GMT ?

Friday only here for the continuous deluge 5am to midnight, as I've already posted, had 85.4 mm.

But the amount to be entered on the Met Office card for the 22nd is 72.4 mm. The spare bit goes into the total for the 21st.

That's the second wettest Met Office "day" here since the gauge came in 1968. Beaten by Dec 6th 1983, when we had 76.3 mm.

Suspect we might have had the wettest and longest non-stop rain though.

However there might be a period of two consecutive days in October 1980 which was worse. 70.1mm on the 26th and 65.6mm on the 27th. Considerable damage at that time. An old mill dam was washed away.

But like you say -- that was Oct not June!

One week to go. Current monthly total is 188.2 mm. We might yet beat the wettest June 2007 which had 210.0 mm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Spurry, we must be mad to live up here in the NW! Surprisingly, not yet rotted. Been here nearly 50 yrs and elsewhere in Lancs many generations before that.

Grand day now and drying out well, though bowled some big looking clouds across to Yorks in the early afternoon.

I actually chose to move here from Birmingham back in 1989, love it here but would like a better climate...we have 2 seasons in Wigan , Warm and wet(Summer), cold and wet(winter)

Posted
Suspect we might have had the wettest and longest non-stop rain though.

Think you are right about that. I didn't know the Met Office used those timings for recording rainfall. As you say if they'd gone from 00.00 to 24.00 on Friday it would be another story.

I play golf at Longridge, their rain gauge stopped recording on Friday at 60mm because it was full ! I presume it resets itself once every 24hrs.

Posted

Think you are right about that. I didn't know the Met Office used those timings for recording rainfall. As you say if they'd gone from 00.00 to 24.00 on Friday it would be another story.

I play golf at Longridge, their rain gauge stopped recording on Friday at 60mm because it was full ! I presume it resets itself once every 24hrs.

Would be a bit wet and wild on the top of Longridge Fell on Friday There was a strong gusty wind in the afternoon to add to the misery. Would be in cloud also. I look across towards that way and never saw the fell all day.

I nipped out to empty the bottle in the 5" gauge here at the edge of dark thinking it might overflow in the night. Was about three quarters full.. There is a back up can below it, but I didn't want the hassle of trying to measure from it next morning. We have an old Dines autographic tipper here also which gave an interesting printout that day. As I mentioned in an earlier post. I'll hope to catch the EA officer when he comes to download their electronic tipper here. Unfortunately tippers in heavy steady rain miss a bit!

Posted

Well the ea have reported that the river caldew was at the highest it's ever been. Even higher than 2005, just as well the Eden did not join in on the action, as I'm thinking the new defences are a waste of money, they did however protect areas along Denton Holme, however if all 3 river got in on te action it would have been a very different story.

Why was it the highest ever recorded, coz they have build the defences to close

Posted

Is anyone talking about the potential storm risk for our region? I am waiting with held breath (as I go blue) but the idea of a severe storm is great!

Posted

Looks very interesting for the whoe of north of england Thursday day and thursday night. Hopefuly some massive thunder and lightning storms for us all! You can't beat those long hours of thunderstorms at night lighting up your room!

Posted

Tell me about it, no doubt some up and downgrades but all in all looking good up to now, I will clearly no be sleeping on both nights!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

I think theres only going to be thunderstorms for the East tbh, no change there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Lookin' good..

69_6.gif

72_6.gif

Dew points up to 20C in South Yorkshire/north Lincolnshire

69_8.gif

Cape still decent in places.. but experience tells me cape doesn't need to be high for storms to spark off.. nor does high cape automatically equal storms

69_21.gif

Edited by Aaron