Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Why Are Some Weather Scenes On Tv And Film Programmes So Ridiculous At Times?

Posted

Have you ever laughed at the attempt of TV programmes and films to simulate weather at times? It's pouring with rain and yet it is sun shining, the crash of thunder often doesn't sound like what they claim to be, the editting of scenes that one minute it is raining and the next it is bone dry. If you look at Jaws when they are hunting the shark, you can see sea mist/fog one minute, the next it is clear blue skies. One of the worst that has stuck in my head was a Columbo scene when Columbo gets out of his car in rain with an umbrella up to knock on someone's door and when the door opens it is clear blue skies, sun blazing and he has got an umbrella up! Lol

Posted

Snow is a nightmare for continuity.

They had endless problems filming Heartbeat round here!

Most episodes would actually be filmed over several weeks so they might do scenes from 2 or 3 different plots while camped up in one of their favourite locations.

But as we know snow rarely lies for more than a week - unless you want it to go then you have to do what you can.

Foam all over the place really doesn't work that well to anyone with a keen eye for different kinds of snow.

Edited by 4wd

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Does anyone remember that Casualty Christmas Special, a perfect summer setting, all sprayed with fake snow. Or gremlins?

But some of the, so-called, weather effects in the new Spartacus really do take the biscuit...Digital snow has never been my favourite!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

I have noticed on shows like Eastenders and Coronation St etc...rain is always accompanied by thunder even in the depths of winter...obviously London and Manchester must be thunderstorm capitals of the world?

Posted

Christmas specials wind me up. Gavin and Stacey, Doctor Who...set at Christmas time...but with trees full of lush green leaves!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost
when Columbo gets out of his car in rain with an umbrella up to knock on someone's door and when the door opens it is clear blue skies, sun blazing and he has got an umbrella up! Lol

Columbo! he would be able to answer why that is! remember this line ...and just one more thing!

I know what you mean, the backgrounds of some movies have a different weather, i have seen blizzards that only effect a couple of hundred feet!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

...Digital snow has never been my favourite!

No it's just not the same you can't sledge in it! bring on the snow machines..

Posted

Columbo! he would be able to answer why that is! remember this line ...and just one more thing!

I know what you mean, the backgrounds of some movies have a different weather, i have seen blizzards that only effect a couple of hundred feet!

Not exactly weather-related I know, but, apparently, Columbo's character was based upon the lead detective in Dostoevsky's Crime And Punishment...

Posted

I love how thunderstorms, especially in dramatic scenes, are so overdone. Often like a firecracker factory exploding outside the window yet the characters in the film are supposedly oblivious to it.

For me it usually kills the scene, and I start to think why arent they there at the window checking out the night show!

Posted

I have noticed this lack of continuity in films,T.V. ,etc.Snow when it is plainly apparent that it is not winter and the deciduous tree are in full bloom.I think the snow thing in heartbeat some one mentioned is not a big problem as it is not unrealistic in this country for snow to not be around for very long,sometimes a only a few hours or a day.

Posted

I love Back To The Future, but I've always found it strange how that thunderstorm suddenly and completely disappears after the clock tower gets struck by lightning. I think the rain stops too.

Of topic but we are now nearly at 2015, and we are still nowhere near being able to forecast the weather completely, as in Back to the future 2, where as the hover boards are far more realistic. rofl.gif

Posted

Is this the B2TF thread?

rofl.gif

Posted

Superman 3 was laughable with a satellite firing beams into the atmosphere to create a huge rotating storm over Colombia. The tornado looked unrealistic and then Superman goes to the base of the tornado and inverts the tornado so it is above the cloud tops?!

Posted

And then there's the most laughable of them all - The Day After Tomorrow...One ridiculous 'special' effect after another!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: ALL WEATHER, NOT THE PETTY POLITICS OF MODS IN THIS SITE

The idiots at the BBC filmed the Eastenders Christmas episode in Clacton in June......you could see the "extras" for the set walking around outside in coats and scarfs , but the sun was a june sun with the brilliance and oblique angles which simply dont fit for December.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: ALL WEATHER, NOT THE PETTY POLITICS OF MODS IN THIS SITE

And then there's the most laughable of them all - The Day After Tomorrow...One ridiculous 'special' effect after another!

Yeah, since when does freezing cold air from aloft drop from the tropopause and freeze everything in a nanosecond! LOL.....The physics wouldnt allow it because subsiding air warms up as it becomes compressed from HPA 500 to 1 atmosphere or one bar.

It was a hidiously dumb movie. but I bet Al Gore enjoyed it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

I notice it in soaps, primarily because they often film at least 2 months in advance. I remember last year in Eastenders, around April/May time, that they had stuck fake leaves on the trees. It didn't look realistic at all!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

I notice it in soaps, primarily because they often film at least 2 months in advance. I remember last year in Eastenders, around April/May time, that they had stuck fake leaves on the trees. It didn't look realistic at all!

I remember that! I thought seriously...

Posted

Yeah, since when does freezing cold air from aloft drop from the tropopause and freeze everything in a nanosecond! LOL.....The physics wouldnt allow it because subsiding air warms up as it becomes compressed from HPA 500 to 1 atmosphere or one bar.

It was a hidiously dumb movie. but I bet Al Gore enjoyed it.

You mean he didn't make it?laugh.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

The idiots at the BBC filmed the Eastenders Christmas episode in Clacton in June......you could see the "extras" for the set walking around outside in coats and scarfs , but the sun was a june sun with the brilliance and oblique angles which simply dont fit for December.

How do you know it was shot in June..as said here they shoot soaps 6-8 weeks in advance not 6 months.

Posted

Anyone recall the 'good old days' when cowboy-film night-scenes were filmed in daylight? Some of those midnight cloudscapes were awe-inspiring...as well as funny!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall in particular but most aspects of weather, hate hot and humid.

Anyone recall the 'good old days' when cowboy-film night-scenes were filmed in daylight? Some of those midnight cloudscapes were awe-inspiring...as well as funny!

yes even as a kid it was so obvious that the scenes were shot in daylight with a screen across the lens,